Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I would guess it is because they are releasing them non-sequentially. The box sets they have now have a general theme to them so it sort of makes sense to group them, but at the end the boxes themselves become worthless if one wished to shelve the series chronologically. As stated earlier though who really cares about the slipcase when it is such a good deal on the 2 books verse separate volumes.
    that's honestly the only reason I get the boxes, I don't even display the sets with the slp spine out, the books are facing out.

One last question: is the first Mickey book a good start or is it still a bit rough and a later volume is maybe better for a newbie or it doesn't really matter because all of them are good?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    thanks for the responses, looks like a listing error then...sigh, gonna get this too
    @VanWinkle: Fantagraphics is usually really good with these collections, I only got the 2nd Rosa slipcase from the Duck line but absolutely loving it. And all my other Fanta books are rally good quality as well.

edit: and got the Christmas set as well. I'm hopeless. Really hope I will like Barks as well since now I have 3 sets on their way to me Still, better than cursing myself not getting them when they were available.
    I'm VERY likely going to get a Rosa box set because I love the look of his art from the stuff I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    I'm VERY likely going to get a Rosa box set because I love the look of his art from the stuff I've seen.
    FYI, the first one is gone...
    @balakin: Rosa and Gottfredon's volumes are in chronological order... so it's easier to pair them in box sets.

I ordered the latest Mickey boxed set (vols 7 & 8) from amazon.ca and it hasn't shipped yet. They don't seem to have it in stock. I am wondering if I should get it elsewhere or if they will get it at some point... amazon.com has it, so hopefully they get it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mooch View Post
    I ordered the latest Mickey boxed set (vols 7 & 8) from amazon.ca and it hasn't shipped yet. They don't seem to have it in stock. I am wondering if I should get it elsewhere or if they will get it at some point... amazon.com has it, so hopefully they get it soon.
    So maybe it's the same for the second box set... just out of stock, but not out of print.

All-New Member

Does anyone know around when the Mickey Mouse strips become gag a day rather than longer serial stories? I am up to Volume 6 and they still seem mostly pretty serial heavy!

The answer is 1955. A few more volumes to go. I hear a total of 12 is now planned. Originally they mapped out 13 with a 'bonus' volume 14 with extras, now volume 11 and 12 will just be a little thicker.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    The answer is 1955. A few more volumes to go. I hear a total of 12 is now planned. Originally they mapped out 13 with a 'bonus' volume 14 with extras, now volume 11 and 12 will just be a little thicker.
    That's interesting info. Nice to know we are close to the end of the collection. Any idea why they shortened the run? I Imagined the books were selling fairly well. Also I wonder what was cut? The books seem to run about 300 pages give or take so even making 11 and 12 50% larger which I think is unlikely, 300 odd pages are going to be lost somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerbeat View Post
    That's interesting info. Nice to know we are close to the end of the collection. Any idea why they shortened the run? I Imagined the books were selling fairly well. Also I wonder what was cut? The books seem to run about 300 pages give or take so even making 11 and 12 50% larger which I think is unlikely, 300 odd pages are going to be lost somewhere.
    Because they don't want to collect the "gag a day" stuff...

Apparently, they were running low on the copious special features that take up a lot of room at the end each volume, so they decided to just beef up the amount of strips in the last few volumes to end on an even number (box sets, remember) without dragging it out.

All-New Member

That makes a lot of sense. I am glad they are going for a slightly more condensed but consistent quality product. So that means the final boxed set should be out around christmas 2017?

Are any of the Mickey boxed sets hard to find?

That makes a lot of sense. I am glad they are going for a slightly more condensed but consistent quality product. So that means the final boxed set should be out around christmas 2017?
    I believe so.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    They are all in stock on amazon except the Color Sundays which is now going for crazy prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    The second one was "temporarily out of stock" on amazon, but now there are a dozen copies. The Sunday Specials one is not available though.