Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I've only got the first MM volume myself. IMO the TT books are the way to go if you plan on following the current Disney comics as each one collects a couple TPBs of the ongoing books. The TT books have a nice mix between new to USA stories and some nice reprints by people like Murry, Bradbury and Strobl.
    I will read the first scrooge and Donald and will see how much I like them . Mickley is not for me unfortunately. My onlygripe was the quality. It's not horrible but fantagraphics just puts out better books for the same price

Amazing Member

So, we are down to 3 more Gottfredson volumes, 4 more Rosa volumes and a shitload of Barks ones. Then there's the donald dailies from idw to collect. Any idea if fantagraphics will continue with more disney related properties?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_NL View Post
    So, we are down to 3 more Gottfredson volumes, 4 more Rosa volumes and a shitload of Barks ones. Then there's the Donald dailies from IDW to collect. Any idea if fantagraphics will continue with more Disney related properties?
    Probably not, since the Al Taliaferro Duck series is at IDW. I'd love to see a comprehensive William van Horn series. A Romano Scarpa series also would be great but many of his stories haven't been translated to English yet, and would probably need more prep work done than other Disney works.

Amazing Member

Just spoke to Fantagraphics, there are 2 more MM volumes coming in 2017 and that will wrap up the series!

Spectacular Member

Does anyone know what the heck is happening with IDW's Timeless Tales HCs? Vol 2 for all 3 series were supposed go be out over November/December last year... Scrooge was finally released mid-December but Amazon no longer has it and when I tried to order it from Book Depository they cancelled the order saying they couldn't obtain it (though their site still lists it as available). Had to settle getting it from IST. Additionally, Mickey and Donald were both set for December, then every time the release date approached they were pushed back a week at a time. Donald's now due Jan 31 and Mickey on Feb 7. Both (and Scrooge when it was available) are listed on Amazon at full retail price, while all Vol 1s and the Vol 3s due in July all have the usual Amazon discounts attached. IDW never answered when I contacted them about what is going on with this series of books...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P91 View Post
    Does anyone know what the heck is happening with IDW's Timeless Tales HCs? Vol 2 for all 3 series were supposed go be out over November/December last year... Scrooge was finally released mid-December but Amazon no longer has it and when I tried to order it from Book Depository they cancelled the order saying they couldn't obtain it (though their site still lists it as available). Had to settle getting it from IST. Additionally, Mickey and Donald were both set for December, then every time the release date approached they were pushed back a week at a time. Donald's now due Jan 31 and Mickey on Feb 7. Both (and Scrooge when it was available) are listed on Amazon at full retail price, while all Vol 1s and the Vol 3s due in July all have the usual Amazon discounts attached. IDW never answered when I contacted them about what is going on with this series of books...
    welcome to the IDW. High prices, books falling apart and unpredictable release schedules or books not getting published at all without announcing cancellation. I really have a love-hate relationship with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    welcome to the IDW. High prices, books falling apart and unpredictable release schedules or books not getting published at all without announcing cancellation. I really have a love-hate relationship with them.
    This. I thought about upgrading my TMNT trades to the Hardcover collections. But with all the binding issues people have had i decided not to. the trades read almost as well and they only take up slightly more room. i'll just take that money and spend it on a new series i haven't read yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    This. I thought about upgrading my TMNT trades to the Hardcover collections. But with all the binding issues people have had i decided not to. the trades read almost as well and they only take up slightly more room. i'll just take that money and spend it on a new series i haven't read yet.
    Last time I checked the TMNT trades actually cost more than the hardcovers. Usually a hc collects 3 trades and I get them around 21- 25 quid while the paperbacks are a tenner each or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Wait, what? IDW books falling apart??? That's the first I hear. Everything I have from them is top-notch. Particularly the LoAC books are among the best-produced books I own. And as to the pricing I think they are nowhere near what Marvel (and recently Image) has been charging for their books for the last few years - which are in addition (and in contrast to IDW) much more cheaply produced.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 01-16-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Wait, what? IDW books falling apart??? That's the first I hear. Everything I have from them is top-notch. Particularly the LoAC books are among the best-produced books I own. And as to the pricing I think they are nowhere near what Marvel (and recently Image) has been charging for their books for the last few years - which are in addition (and in contrast to IDW) much more cheaply produced.
    When volume 1 first released i had seen several posts from people that showed their book falling apart. I haven't seen it lately so maybe it was just a bad print run.

The trades and the hardcovers do come out to about the same. But I bought the trades well before i had any idea that they were doing hardcover books for the series. I wouldn't want to start buying the hardcovers with volume 6. So that means I either double dip or just keep buying the trades.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    TMNT v1 was falling apart for a lot of people and I had to send the Nelvana hc back because the spine cracked first thing when I opened it and almost fell apart.
    The LoAC stuff is great but the pricing is getting ridiculous there. The last announced Corto volume is 64 pages for like $25 or something silly like that. While Marvel is really overpriced you can usually get online discounts regularly which normally isn't the case with IDW books. Also they are unpredictable with releases a lot of the times (the non LoAC stuff).

Amazing Member

I have never had an IDW HC book fall apart on me. I own the first printing of the TMNT book 1 as well. I will say lately their prices have been going up. For example the Phase 1 Transformer books had 18 to 20 comics in them for $49.99. Phase 2 started collecting 12 issues in them for the same price. I still get them, well because I'm a completist.
    Comic, toys and all around geek things from older geeks perspective: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...zQaKJKBaqzuNdg

Incredible Member

Why are the Carl Barks Scrooge comics so revered? sorry I guess I'm just in the mindset that they're just kiddie comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Why are the Carl Barks Scrooge comics so revered? sorry I guess I'm just in the mindset that they're just kiddie comics.
    Some people would argue that they are more than just kiddie comics. I love 'kiddie' comics because they take all of these beloved cartoon characters and transfer them to the page. The Barks duck comics take the funny animals into another level with his mix of the comedy of the shorts with adventure plots that you wouldn't see so muchin a seven-minute short. Also Barks expanded to the Disney canon by creating new characters and concepts that are used to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Because they're really well done. Same as why any piece of art is revered. When you read a story like The Old Castle's Secret or Back to the Klondike you're looking a world class cartooning.