Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Buying a bunch of '80s Uncle Scrooge comics at a convention, only to take them home and not want to read them because you realize that they'll soon be reprinted in Fanta's collections.

That there is what we call a 'first world problem.'

Fantastic Member

I just started to get into the Barks duck stories. I've started with DD: The Pixelated Parrot. These are really enjoyable, fun stories! Just very classic stuff...and not nearly as "childish" as you might think. I mean there's a fair bit of violence and the characters are surprisingly "real" in the way they interact with each other. I get a laugh out of the occasional "CENSORED" dialogue balloon. Love the artwork too!

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I just started to get into the Barks duck stories. I've started with DD: The Pixelated Parrot. These are really enjoyable, fun stories! Just very classic stuff...and not nearly as "childish" as you might think. I mean there's a fair bit of violence and the characters are surprisingly "real" in the way they interact with each other. I get a laugh out of the occasional "CENSORED" dialogue balloon. Love the artwork too!
    Yep. I particularly love the longer stories which are just great, rollicking adventure stories. No wonder Spielberg and Lucas helped themselves to a big dose of Barks's stories when writing 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

Be sure to check out the Don Rosa books as well. While not as refined an artist as Barks, his comedic timing is impeccable and his stories are often sequels to the classic Barks ones.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Yep. I particularly love the longer stories which are just great, rollicking adventure stories. No wonder Spielberg and Lucas helped themselves to a big dose of Barks's stories when writing 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

Be sure to check out the Don Rosa books as well. While not as refined an artist as Barks, his comedic timing is impeccable and his stories are often sequels to the classic Barks ones.
    I probably will at some point but my visa card is absolutely howling for mercy right now! lol...

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post

Seconded the Rosa recommendation! Barks is an excellent cartoonist and I'm really enjoying his longer stories but there are a lot of short gags that are really not for me. Rosa's stuff really has a Duck Tales vibe to me and it feels a bit more modern somehow, even though both Rosa and Barks are quite timeless. Also, while Barks is the better artist, Rosa is still great and I love his background jokes he manages to squeeze into a lot of his panels.

I was initially all about the longer adventure stories, but Barks' shorter, gag based stories have won me over, too.

Spectacular Member

So, is it just me or does it seem that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck have both been cancelled? (Maybe Comics & Stories too). In the August '17 solicits they've announced a new series, Mickey and Donald, that will be released quarterly, and I noticed that every other Disney series except for Uncle Scrooge is absent. Looking back through July, both Mickey and Donald were absent also, with the last issues of each being #21 in June (Comics & Stories DOES have a listing for July).

On Amazon, Mickey Mouse Timeless Tales Vol 3 is listed as containing #13-21, 50% larger than the previous volumes, but lines up perfectly with #21 indeed being the final issue. Donald's volume only says #13-18, but of course that could still change...

I'm not sure about the other series, but Walt Disney Comics and Stories #738 comes out today in the US.

I'm not buying anymore of the Timeless tales hardcovers in physical copies. I only bought Uncle Scrooge volume 1. My little one likes to read the Giga Beagle story. We've only read it four times and each time I hold the book and am very careful with it. The first issue is already loose from the glue.

comixology had a sale last month and i was able to get all of the Timeless tales volumes that are out so far for $6.

I also passed on the Zodiac Stone story for this reason. I have it in single issues and that is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P91 View Post
    So, is it just me or does it seem that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck have both been cancelled? (Maybe Comics & Stories too). In the August '17 solicits they've announced a new series, Mickey and Donald, that will be released quarterly, and I noticed that every other Disney series except for Uncle Scrooge is absent. Looking back through July, both Mickey and Donald were absent also, with the last issues of each being #21 in June (Comics & Stories DOES have a listing for July).

On Amazon, Mickey Mouse Timeless Tales Vol 3 is listed as containing #13-21, 50% larger than the previous volumes, but lines up perfectly with #21 indeed being the final issue. Donald's volume only says #13-18, but of course that could still change...
    http://featherysociety.proboards.com...ns-july?page=4
    Thanks for your patience (whew!). I can reveal a little more now that some things have finally been greenlit.

WDCS is becoming a quarterly (at least for now) with 48 pages. At present, the plan is to run extra-long stories in here, like the pair of linked Donald TNT stories that start in WDCS 739 (not exactly a serial, but closely connected). Shorter stories in the back will feature some of the traditional WDCS players who couldn't be anywhere else (i. e. Zeke Wolf).

DONALD AND MICKEY, replacing Donald's and Mickey's solo titles (again, at least for now), will also be a 48-page quarterly, this one containing (generally) shorter stories. We've already got some Casty and Van Horn slotted in here.

A new monthly, 32-page one-shot title, to start in September, will feature more modern Italian material with all kinds of Duckburg and Mouseton characters—there will be devoted all-Donald and all-Mickey issues, but we can also try some unexpected twists.

And UNCLE SCROOGE will remain a 32-page monthly, though likely with more Egmont, Dutch, S-coded, and earlier Italian content now that we have another place for Italy's modern stuff.

Most months will have SCROOGE, a one-shot, and a (WDCS or DDMM) quarterly. Every third month, where there's no quarterly, we'll sometimes have a special—we're planning another CHRISTMAS PARADE for December.

Spectacular Member

Thank you very much

I'm glad Uncle Scrooge is the one staying monthly, 'cause it's the best. Hopefully the new DuckTales will point kids to Scrooge and Donald comics.

Incredible Member

Anyone know what happened to the Barks book that was supposed to release today? I didn't see it on IST or CGN new release listings today.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

I have a sickness: I own BOOM's hardcovers for Life of Scrooge and The Companion, and now I own them separately in Fantagraphics' Don Rosa Library, but when I was at the bookstore today and saw used copies of both Life of Scrooge and The Companion (Gemstone's paperback versions) I had to fight with all my will not to buy them a third time. The collector's impulse was that strong.

... if they're still there next weekend I think I'll be compelled to get them.

Rocketdude

If you could choose only a few volumes of Fantagraphics' Barks and Rosa books, which would you choose? I am mostly interested in their peak period. I don't have enough shelf space and money for this anyway, so I need to choose widely.

I would have preferred to have the long stories in their own volumes, as I don't care about the short ones. But as long as I get the essential stuff, I'm happy.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Rocketdude; 09-12-2017 at 05:54 AM.