Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I've been getting (and loving) the latest volumes in the Donald Duck set, but wasn't familiar with the Mickey Mouse editions. What MM books are out there? And are they as highly regarded?
    Thanks.

The Floyd Gottfredson stories are up to volume 6 at this point, plus an anthology of the Sunday editions.

Though I'm personally a fan of the Carl Fallberg stories done in Walt Disney Comics & Stories, I don't think there's any creative run on Mickey outside of Gottfredson's that's critically acclaimed.

Wow. Thanks. Are any of the volumes/comics in color?

EDIT: I see there are Colored Sundays Volumes. Thanks again.

Grew up reading Duck/Disney comics. Like everyone, my favorite creators are Carl Barks and Rosa but also a good deal of Italian Topolino creators.
    Mfw Don Rosa was in my town because of the soundtrack thingy and I didn't know about it.
    BB

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The Duck comics by Barks and Rosa are favorites of mine.
    Also have a soft spot for the SUPER GOOF comics.
    Disney/Marvel should do a mash up with Super Goof helping the Avengers in part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    The Duck comics by Barks and Rosa are favorites of mine.
    Also have a soft spot for the SUPER GOOF comics.
    Disney/Marvel should do a mash up with Super Goof helping the Avengers in part 3.
    What about Duck Avenger?
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    The Floyd Gottfredson stories are up to volume 6 at this point, plus an anthology of the Sunday editions.

Though I'm personally a fan of the Carl Fallberg stories done in Walt Disney Comics & Stories, I don't think there's any creative run on Mickey outside of Gottfredson's that's critically acclaimed.
    Hmm. I think his run with Paul Murry is actually fairly well acclaimed on all sides ... although I'm pretty sure there's not going to be an Archives-style reprint of it, if that's what you mean.

Romano Scarpa's Mickey Mouse stories are very well regarded but I doubt they'll be collected in English any time soon.

How about some of the old Disney comics workhorses such as Tony Strobl and Jack Bradbury. That was the wonderful thing when Gladstone was publishing 'floppies' they would reprint some non-Barks material. These artists are not going to get nice collections of their work so a monthly/bi-monthly title was the best opportunity to re-discover their work. The same goes for international artists such as Vicar and Ceasar Ferioli. IMO Gemstone published too much mediocore European material, but if you waded through it there were some real gems. Boom focused more on Italian material than Gemstone did. Loved Casty's work, his wrap-around covers were so awesome, lush and rich. A real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    What about Duck Avenger?
    Imagine if this Donald had the cartoon voice
    Humanoids in the city will be even more than way beyond dumb for not recognizing him
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    How about some of the old Disney comics workhorses such as Tony Strobl and Jack Bradbury. That was the wonderful thing when Gladstone was publishing 'floppies' they would reprint some non-Barks material. These artists are not going to get nice collections of their work so a monthly/bi-monthly title was the best opportunity to re-discover their work. The same goes for international artists such as Vicar and Ceasar Ferioli. IMO Gemstone published too much mediocore European material, but if you waded through it there were some real gems. Boom focused more on Italian material than Gemstone did. Loved Casty's work, his wrap-around covers were so awesome, lush and rich. A real treat.
    I'm always surprised Bob Gregory doesn't get more attention. Though his best work doesn't come close to Barks' best work, I generally liked his work on the Donald Duck title better than anyone else's (including Barks).

Anyone have any of those old Disney Comic Albums. Started with the Mickey Mouse western themed volumes and then got some of the larger volumes such as 'Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold' and 'Mickey Mouse and the Monarch of Medioka.'

Remember those Disney Comics bundles in the 90s. Those were my first real entry into Disney Comics, grew up with Disney golden books and coloring books and other merch prior to that. A couple issues of Mickey Mouse Adventures, Ducktales (Down and out in Duckburg pt. 5), Tale Spin, Rescue Rangers. The Disney books had such variety back then full of fun and adventure. A couple years later I would get the Gladstone Disney books at the store, they were pretty widely available back then. Wal-Mart still had a comics rack.

Those Gottfredson volumes are great. Nicely packaged and produced with plenty of extras. It's nice to just read the Mickey strip straight through the years chronologically as opposed to reprints of specific stories.

^I got one of their super-sized albums, collecting two already jumbo-sized Scrooge albums: the one collecting all the Barks Glomgold stories (plus the first Rosa story) and the one collecting (almost) all of the Barks Magica stories.

Really cool format, but I prefer Fantagraphics retro coloring.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    What about Duck Avenger?

I have never heard of Duck Avenger before I saw this picture.
    Where and When did Donald appear as a superhero duck?
    Also I am trying to recall that Donald is a huge comic book fan, I believe his favorite hero was, SUPER SLEUTH?

Donald's superhero alter ego comes from Italy and its original (Italian) name is Paperinik. The name itself is a play on the Italian comicbook anti-hero Diabolik http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolik (Donald's Italian name is Paperino). Likewise, Paperinik (or Duck Avenger or Phantom Duck or Superduck as he is known in other countries) was initially an anti-hero, using his alter-ego to exact revenge on his daytime oppressors, like Uncle Scrooge and cousin Gladstone.

In the original story, Donald finds the costume of Fantomius (an obvious Fantomas analogue) in a house he accidentally inherits, and decides to use it for non altruistic reasons, creating the identity of Paperinik. Eventually, the writers turned the character into a Batman-type superhero, even having him patrol the city at nights and facing criminal masterminds.

Also I am trying to recall that Donald is a huge comic book fan, I believe his favorite hero was, SUPER SLEUTH?
    Are you remembering the Carl Barks 10-pager where Donald gets superpowers? If yes then the name was "Super Snooper" though I think the character was a favorite of his nephews.
    Last edited by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L.; 06-07-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Super Snooper. That story is supposed to be in the latest Barks volume. That was a classic ten-pager, I don't think I've read Don Rosa's 'Super Snooper' sequel.