Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L. View Post
    Donald's superhero alter ego comes from Italy and its original (Italian) name is Paperinik. The name itself is a play on the Italian comicbook anti-hero Diabolik http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolik (Donald's Italian name is Paperino). Likewise, Paperinik (or Duck Avenger or Phantom Duck or Superduck as he is known in other countries) was initially an anti-hero, using his alter-ego to exact revenge on his daytime oppressors, like Uncle Scrooge and cousin Gladstone.

In the original story, Donald finds the costume of Fantomius (an obvious Fantomas analogue) in a house he accidentally inherits, and decides to use it for non altruistic reasons, creating the identity of Paperinik. Eventually, the writers turned the character into a Batman-type superhero, even having him patrol the city at nights and facing criminal masterminds.

Are you remembering the Carl Barks 10-pager where Donald gets superpowers? If yes then the name was "Super Snooper" though I think the character was a favorite of his nephews.
    Some of my favorite Disney Comics.
    In Denmark he is called "Stålanden" which roughly translates into "The Duck of Steel"

WAK! A happy 80th birthday to Donald Duck!

00FC0223_Donald_Duck_36bc.jpg

698531.jpg

Cheers!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Since this topic came up, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask: does anybody remember a late 1970s story in which Donald and his three nephews are menaced by multiple tornadoes?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Since this topic came up, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask: does anybody remember a late 1970s story in which Donald and his three nephews are menaced by multiple tornadoes?

Possibly, though you have to be more specific. Plenty of Duck stories blur together for me.
    BB

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Possibly, though you have to be more specific. Plenty of Duck stories blur together for me.
    That's all I can recall. It was before I even learned how to read, so I could only look at the pictures.

From what I do recall, the tornadoes were not natural phenomena, but the handiwork of some mad scientist.

Memorably, the comic introduced me, at age four, to the concept of tornadoes, which have been a source of fascination for me ever since.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Donald's superhero alter ego comes from Italy and its original (Italian) name is Paperinik. The name itself is a play on the Italian comicbook anti-hero Diabolik http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolik (Donald's Italian name is Paperino). Likewise, Paperinik (or Duck Avenger or Phantom Duck or Superduck as he is known in other countries) was initially an anti-hero, using his alter-ego to exact revenge on his daytime oppressors, like Uncle Scrooge and cousin Gladstone.

In the original story, Donald finds the costume of Fantomius (an obvious Fantomas analogue) in a house he accidentally inherits, and decides to use it for non altruistic reasons, creating the identity of Paperinik. Eventually, the writers turned the character into a Batman-type superhero, even having him patrol the city at nights and facing criminal masterminds.

There was also a Duck Avenger video game on the PS2...

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/PK:_Out_of_the_Shadows

BANNED

Some of the Disney stories of the past were interesting, I mean if it wasn't for the works of Carl Banks, then there wouldn''t be an Uncle Scrooge or Ducktales, where they lowered Scrooge's greed by just a bit to make him seem joyful around his family more.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    That's all I can recall. It was before I even learned how to read, so I could only look at the pictures.

From what I do recall, the tornadoes were not natural phenomena, but the handiwork of some mad scientist.

Memorably, the comic introduced me, at age four, to the concept of tornadoes, which have been a source of fascination for me ever since.

A quick Inducks search did not turn up any stories that match your description, but take a look anyway and see if anything looks familiar:

http://coa.inducks.org/simp.php?d1=D...xactpg=&kind=0

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Some of the Disney stories of the past were interesting, I mean if it wasn't for the works of Carl Banks, then there wouldn''t be an Uncle Scrooge or Ducktales, where they lowered Scrooge's greed by just a bit to make him seem joyful around his family more.

Scrooge always presents an interesting challenge to his writers: make him too mean and curmudgeony and he's nothing more than an unlikable supporting character or (at best) a plot point, but make him too nice and he loses the edge. Scrooge is at his best when he's mean and hard as nails, but just barely concealing a soft, affectionate side that's more suggested than stated. I understand why Ducktales had to tone this down a bit, but theirs was hardly the ideal Scrooge for me.

Scrooge is a truly complex and dynamic character. I think he's the greatest character to originate in the comics medium... from the U.S., at least. He's one of the single most American characters I can think of in all of literature. His story is tied to that of the country he immigrated to as a child. The history of the late 19th early 20th century colors his adventures. His biggest virtues and greatest achievements are also his greatest impediments and biggest moral failings.

I don't think Carl Barks intended for him to become this. I think it just sort of happened when a bunch of different elements crashed together - under the hand of a genius storyteller, of course.

I find Barks's Donald (I know he didn't create him but no one wrote Donald the way he did before him) equally fascinating. He is a character who can express jealousy, mischief and several other petty characteristics, yet he is equally capable of great heroism. I especially love it when Barks had him express both his good and his bad sides in the same story.

In the long adventure “Luck of the North” Donald feels he has had enough of his annoying cousin Gladstone and his bragging and sends him away hunting riches with the help of a fake map. When he realizes the fake map will lead him in the arctic ocean he is greatly amused. Until he realizes he cannot sleep.

image hosting 30 mb

online photo sharing

image uploading site
    And then, he takes on insurmountable odds trying to correct his own mistakes. By the way, the two silent panels of Donald contemplating what he has actually done is comicbook characterisation at its finest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L.; 06-15-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: trying to post an image better

Another instance is a 10-pager from the early '50s where Donald, who works as a mailman, has to deliver a batch of letters during a terrible blizzard. He performs his duty stoically, until he finds out that the last letter he has to deliver is a Valentine from Gladstone to Daisy.

how to print screen on pc
    And then...

upload imagem
    Naturally, he goes against the blizzard to deliver a valentine from his rival to his girlfriend!
    That's classic conflicted Donald by Barks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L.; 06-15-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: trying to upload images better

image uploading site
    And then, he takes on insurmountable odds trying to correct his own mistakes. By the way, the two silent panels of Donald contemplating what he has actually done is comicbook characterisation at its finest.

I've always felt this was one of Barks' finest moments. He communicates so much in those silent panels and truly gives depth to Donald in an otherwise silly story.

Was reading Donald Duck and the Castle's Secret today, and I noticed that I read Scrooge's bubbles in a terrible Scottish accent...