Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Was reading Donald Duck and the Castle's Secret today, and I noticed that I read Scrooge's bubbles in a terrible Scottish accent...
    Ha! I've been reading Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck to my six year old, and I just can't get the accents right.

I grew up with Scrooge having a Scottish accent in the animated stuff, but I don't feel there's any indication of an accent in Barks or Rosa's comics. Scrooge is a very old fella and he left Scotland when he was very young, so he would probably have only the faintest hint of a Scottish accent (if that).

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I grew up with Scrooge having a Scottish accent in the animated stuff, but I don't feel there's any indication of an accent in Barks or Rosa's comics. Scrooge is a very old fella and he left Scotland when he was very young, so he would probably have only the faintest hint of a Scottish accent (if that).

That raises an interesting question for me -- did anyone other than Alan Young ever voice Scrooge?

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    That raises an interesting question for me -- did anyone other than Alan Young ever voice Scrooge?
    Bill Thompson is credited as portraying Uncle Scrooge in the short "Scrooge McDuck and Money", his first animated appearance. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrooge_McDuck_and_Money)

You can check the accent here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFSrKqIKdc

Ha! I've been reading Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck to my six year old, and I just can't get the accents right.
    Funny, I left out the part where I was reading it to my six year old too. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L. View Post
    Bill Thompson is credited as portraying Uncle Scrooge in the short "Scrooge McDuck and Money", his first animated appearance. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrooge_McDuck_and_Money)

You can check the accent here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFSrKqIKdc
    Wow! I was completely unaware of this until now. I wonder why they drew him so differently. Interesting too that the triplets speak so clearly where their earlier appearances had them sounding like Donald.

I wonder why they drew him so differently.
    What specifically are you referring to?
    Jim Zimmerman
    co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    What specifically are you referring to?
    Scrooge's physical features in the cartoon are very different from how he appeared in comics in 1967: Slimmer, lankier build, longer hair, generally different facial structure, and he seems to drown in his over-sized coat and hat.
    Last edited by shaxper; 06-23-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Incredible Member

I picked up three Disney comics at an estate sale over the weekend, and it turns out that all three have Barks stories!

WDC&S #126 has "A Financial Fable"
    WDC&S #203 has "Special Delivery"
    Donald Duck #26 has "Trick or Treat" and "Hobblin' Goblins" - 32 pages of Barks!

The latter two are coverless, but I'm not complaining - these three cost $3 total.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I picked up three Disney comics at an estate sale over the weekend, and it turns out that all three have Barks stories!

WDC&S #126 has "A Financial Fable"
    WDC&S #203 has "Special Delivery"
    Donald Duck #26 has "Trick or Treat" and "Hobblin' Goblins" - 32 pages of Barks!

The latter two are coverless, but I'm not complaining - these three cost $3 total.

VERY nice!

I find prices on the Barks WDC&S issues fluctuate wildly. Some dealers will have them for $60 a piece while others will have them for $3 a pop, but $3 total with the stories completely intact is an excellent find!

Favorite Scrooge stories?

A Poor Old Man
    Back to the Klondike
    The Money Well
    The Menehune Mystery
    The Oddball Oddyssey
    The Doom Diamond
    The Cattle King
    The Isle of Golden Geese
    King Scrooge the First

Favorite long Donald adventures?
    The Sherrif of Bullet Valley
    Dangerous Disguise
    Frozen Gold
    Pawns of the Loup Garou
    In Ancient Persia
    Darkest Africa
    The Pixilated Parrot
    The Secret of Hondorica
    The Gilded Man

I'm this close to getting the first Don Rosa volume... but I kinda wanna wait for slipcase! And if I get the slipcase I'll have to wait for the slipcase for all subsequent volumes for the next five years!

Yeah, I know: first world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I'm this close to getting the first Don Rosa volume... but I kinda wanna wait for slipcase! And if I get the slipcase I'll have to wait for the slipcase for all subsequent volumes for the next five years!

Yeah, I know: first world problems.
    I take it you don't want to hear then that it's awesome, do you?

Seriously though, while Rosa's not as great an artist as Barks, his timing when it comes to jokes is brilliant. I found myself laughing out loud so many times when I read the book. I would've preferred the slipcase as well, but I just couldn't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Seriously though, while Rosa's not as great an artist as Barks, his timing when it comes to jokes is brilliant. I found myself laughing out loud so many times when I read the book. I would've preferred the slipcase as well, but I just couldn't wait.
    Especially the little details he's hiding in the panels. When I re-read his stories as an adult, they were a lot better than I remembered them. To a certain extent because I couldn't comprehend some of the jokes or because things got lost in translation.

Don is heading for a signing tour in Europe and I'll be seeing him in two weeks, I hope I can get another sketch from him.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    Especially the little details he's hiding in the panels. When I re-read his stories as an adult, they were a lot better than I remembered them. To a certain extent because I couldn't comprehend some of the jokes or because things got lost in translation.

Don is heading for a signing tour in Europe and I'll be seeing him in two weeks, I hope I can get another sketch from him.
    I'd actually never read anything by him. I read Disney when I was a kid, in the early 80s, so before Rosa started to draw the Ducks. But having bought all the Barks books by Fantagraphics and thoroughly enjoying them (why only two volumes per year?), I trusted FB with the Rosa books and blind bought it. Now I'm definitely on board for every other volume.

Oh, and a sketch in one of these volumes would be cool.