Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    I take it you don't want to hear then that it's awesome, do you?
    grrrrrr...

Still, with two Barks volumes a year I'll be kept occupied on the duck front.

I am so stoked that IDW got the Disney Comics license! Can't wait to read Disney comics on a regular basis again! Most of all i'm probably looking forward to is reading new imported material. Would like to see more Casty, his work was a highlight of the Boom era. Lots more Romano Scarpa inventory that hasn't debuted in English that I would love to see. IDW's been doing a great job with the classic Popeye reprints, I can't wait for Disney comics to make their U.S. return!

High Five, Disney Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I am so stoked that IDW got the Disney Comics license! Can't wait to read Disney comics on a regular basis again! Most of all i'm probably looking forward to is reading new imported material. Would like to see more Casty, his work was a highlight of the Boom era. Lots more Romano Scarpa inventory that hasn't debuted in English that I would love to see. IDW's been doing a great job with the classic Popeye reprints, I can't wait for Disney comics to make their U.S. return!

High Five, Disney Fans!
    I think IDW only got the licene for special editions like the Artist editions and Fantagraphics will continue to publish their books (Barks/Rosa).
    http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post590187

^Nope.... well, yes: it won't interfere with Fanta's series, but no: it is more than just Artist Editions. They're going to bring back the monthly comics along with collectables and various other things.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Picked up the recently release DONALD DUCK: GHOST of the GRETTO.
    Also features 2 ten page stories and 4-5 one pagers.
    The oddity about this book is its half size but doesn't harm Bark's art. Looks Good.

Next one comes out March/April of 2015 and is the SHERIFF of BULLENT VALLEY.

^That's because Barks' art isn't shrunk at all. He used a four-tier grid with an occasional half-page splash, so for these digest-sized paperbacks they just split up every page into two pages.

I was just reading the new(ish) Fanta volume, Trail of the Unicorn, and I read "Letter to Santa" for what was probably my third time and I'm more enamored with it than ever.

-That wonderful opening page with Donald and the nephews on the torn-up remains of a walkway staring down into the enormous construction pit filled with workmen and machines. One of the best drawings ever in a comic book!
    -Donald is broke and desperate one one page, then on the next page him and Uncle Scrooge beat each other up with million dollar-full money bags.
    -The steam shovel fight! Another one of Barks' best drawings.
    -When the judge fines them a million dollars for said steam shovel fight Uncle Scrooge gives him two million to cover anything else they do before night's end.
    -Santa Claus showing up would be a bit too cutesy a resolution if not for Barks' wonderful realization of Santa's size changing powers.
    -The final panel with that final gag of Scrooge pushing Donald off the roof!

I just started collecting the fantagraphics Carl Barks (for now the two Donald boxsets), and these stories are so great. I just remember reading these stories over and over again as a kid. The transition from the French names to the English ones is a bit difficult to get used to though (Riri, Fifi and Loulou is so much cooler than Hewey, Dewey and Louie ! ).

I also ordered the latest Don Rosa boxset, but a friend told me that the format was actually much bigger than the Carl Barks. Any reasons why? Were the original editions bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I also ordered the latest Don Rosa boxset, but a friend told me that the format was actually much bigger than the Carl Barks. Any reasons why? Were the original editions bigger?
    Rosa packs in a lot of detail in his drawings, often with gags only discernible by eagle-eyed readers. A bigger format will make it easier to read.

New amazon listings show that this fall's Barks volume is Donald Duck: Trick or Treat and the Rosa volume is Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck (Spirit Of Enterprise).

Oddly, the way it plays out the two volumes of Life and Times will be split between two boxed sets... I'm sure that'll be rectified with another edition down the line, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    New amazon listings show that this fall's Barks volume is Donald Duck: Trick or Treat and the Rosa volume is Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck (Spirit Of Enterprise).

Oddly, the way it plays out the two volumes of Life and Times will be split between two boxed sets... I'm sure that'll be rectified with another edition down the line, though.

In for the Barks one, but a pass this time on the Rosa. Not because I think it's bad or anything but because I want to get the three IDW Artist's Editions of "Life and Times...".

For some reason I thought they only published one book per year in each line, nice to see it is two books. Does that mean there's a new boxed set every year?

I am collecting the Barks volumes individually, but I will probably buy the Rosa volumes in the boxed sets if that is a trend.

^Yeah, the Rosa Duck stories and Gottfredson Mickey strips are being released in chronological order, so the box sets are practical. The Barks series is being released out of order (because they wanted to start with the strongest material first, instead of coming several years into the series) so the box sets are unpredictable and I'm just not bothering with them.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    In for the Barks one, but a pass this time on the Rosa. Not because I think it's bad or anything but because I want to get the three IDW Artist's Editions of "Life and Times...".
    Since the Fantagraphics series is chronological both Life and Times volumes will likely also contain a couple of non-Life and Times stories Rosa did around the same time.

Anyway, has anyone gotten any of the digest-sized Barks paperbacks Fantagraphics is doing? The one's they're targeting at a kid audience, since the hardcovers are targeted at adult comics fans? They look super-cool! I hope they do some Uncle Scrooge volumes in addition to the Donald ones.

Anyway, has anyone gotten any of the digest-sized Barks paperbacks Fantagraphics is doing? The one's they're targeting at a kid audience, since the hardcovers are targeted at adult comics fans? They look super-cool! I hope they do some Uncle Scrooge volumes in addition to the Donald ones.
    No, but what's the deal with those? Those stories should be published in the larger books too, right?