Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

^Yeah, the same stories appear in the hardcovers (which will be a complete collection when completed). The digest-sized paperbacks are an additional line of products taking some of Barks' most famous stories and making them value-priced paperbacks marketed to kids.

The original pages are split to make these books: Barks used a four panel grid, usually meaning 8 panels per page along with the occasional half page splash panel, so in one of these paperbacks the left page is the top half and the facing right page the bottom half of Barks' original page. I'm usually wary of editing original art in this way, but seeing the pics and video from Fanta it works pretty well! See:

https://www.flickr.com//photos/fanta...71047777/show/

Are there any Uncle Scrooge or Duck Tales large page count (400+ pgs) collections ?

Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
    Are there any Uncle Scrooge or Duck Tales large page count (400+ pgs) collections ?
    No, I mean, the closest you'll get is one of Fantagraphics' box sets, which include two hardcovers. The Carl Barks Library books average at 240 pages, the Don Rosa Library books at 200 (the reduced page count is to keep costs down when they decided that Rosa's uber-detailed artwork warranted making the books oversized).

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Rosa's uber-detailed artwork warranted making the books oversized).
    The boxed books in the Don Rosa Library are oversized?
    (Constantly putting that book in my cart and taking it out, just waiting for the right time.)

All of Don Rosa's Fanta volumes are oversized.

I didn't see anyone mention it, but some more books have been listed on amazon for the fall (a while ago):
    Mickey Mouse Vol. 8: "The Tomorrow Wars" (Floyd Gottfredson)

also:
    Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Don Rosa Library Vols. 3 & 4 Gift Box Set
    Mickey Mouse Vols. 7 & 8 Gift Box Set
    Uncle Scrooge Gift Box Set: "Only A Poor Old Man" and "The Seven Cities Of Gold" (I already have both of these)
    Last edited by mooch; 04-06-2015 at 06:01 AM.

I'm not a Scrooge reader but this popped u on my FB newsfeed an thought folks here might appreciate it. It's from Don Rosa's facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I was just reading the new(ish) Fanta volume, Trail of the Unicorn, and I read "Letter to Santa" for what was probably my third time and I'm more enamored with it than ever.

-That wonderful opening page with Donald and the nephews on the torn-up remains of a walkway staring down into the enormous construction pit filled with workmen and machines. One of the best drawings ever in a comic book!
    -Donald is broke and desperate one one page, then on the next page him and Uncle Scrooge beat each other up with million dollar-full money bags.
    -The steam shovel fight! Another one of Barks' best drawings.
    -When the judge fines them a million dollars for said steam shovel fight Uncle Scrooge gives him two million to cover anything else they do before night's end.
    -Santa Claus showing up would be a bit too cutesy a resolution if not for Barks' wonderful realization of Santa's size changing powers.
    -The final panel with that final gag of Scrooge pushing Donald off the roof!
    A late comment, but that opening page is indeed wonderful. And what struck me as well was that this is the only full-page illustration that I remember from Carl Barks, and I've read most of his stories. Does anyone remember another?

Also, I found the whole volume to be one of the strongest ones, including stories form one of Barks's creative peaks.

^Vacation Time also opens with a full-page splash! Both are amazing, and both are definitely in the Barks top 10.

Is anyone planning to get IDW's Donald Duck: The Daily Newspaper Comics Volume 1 (Al Taliaferro/Bob Karp)? How's the quality of these stories compared to the Donald Duck comics or Mickey strips? I'm kinda surprised these aren't coming from Fanta...maybe it's a rights thing?

Those Carl Barks Duck comics are great, as everyone has pointed out. However, I feel I must further point out the greatness of the Floyd Gottfredson Mickey strips. What great adventure stories! And for my money, a masterwork of serialized comic strip storytelling. Gottfredson was a master at telling stories over a long period of time. They rarely dragged, or felt padded. And his character models for the classic Disney characters are my personal favorites, save for Donald. That goes to Barks. But Gottredson sure knew his way around a pencil, that's for sure.

Barks and Rosa may get the most attention in the Disney comics world (deservedly so), but I personally feel that Floyd Gottredson is right up there with them.
    CURRENTLY READING: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Descender, I Hate Fairyland, Paper Girls, Saga, Royal City, Goldie Vance, Dept. H, Black Hammer, Afterlife With Archie, Kaijumax, Super Sons

I see Fantagraphics has changed the title of Don Rosa vol. 4 from "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck: Spirit of Enterprise" to the far pithier "Last of the Clan McDuck."

Just read "Last Sled to Dawson" - loooved it, and was a bit surprised by how much Life and Times stuff Rosa did here first. He essentially repeats what he did with the sled in this one with the trunk in the final chapter of Life and Times. Also, this was one of the few times that Rosa drew from a non-Barks comic by borrowing the "sled stuck in the glacier marked by Scrooge's rifle" plot from a Tony Strobl comic that was released contemporaneous to Barks' stories. I'd really love to see that story reprinted! *hint, hint IDW!*

We ARE so CLOSE to having "Life and Times" back in print!!! I wish I had been able to sell my LONG out of print, but warped copy of the first HC, and the gem mint tpb companion before their values plummeted, but cie la vie.

So, would these newly printed Fantagraphics volumes be the best way to collect all the Barks and Rosa stuff with Donald and Scrooge? I loved those stories to bits when I was a kid (and with Rosa there's a sizable chunk I've never even read), but whenever I look for collected editions online I usually find it hard to sort out what contains what and how they fit together.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

^The Fanta volumes are totally the way to go!

Rosa's never been completely collected in the states. Barks has, but those books have been out of print for decades. Fantagraphics will eventually release every Barks and Rosa duck story in these volumes, but the Barks volumes are being released out of order to get to the strongest material first (the inside of the book lists the respective volume number). The Rosa volumes are being released in-order.

Oh, and Barks produced a whole lot more than Rosa: Barks will total at 30 volumes, Rosa will top out at 10!