Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^The Fanta volumes are totally the way to go!

Rosa's never been completely collected in the states. Barks has, but those books have been out of print for decades. Fantagraphics will eventually release every Barks and Rosa duck story in these volumes, but the Barks volumes are being released out of order to get to the strongest material first (the inside of the book lists the respective volume number). The Rosa volumes are being released in-order.

Oh, and Barks produced a whole lot more than Rosa: Barks will total at 30 volumes, Rosa will top out at 10!
    Thanks! As someone else mentioned earlier, it will probably take some time getting used to the original names of characters and places (for example, Huey, Dewey and Louie are called Knatte, Fnatte and Tjatte in my native language) but it's certainly worth it to have all those great comics neatly collected!
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

^And you'll have the satisfaction of reading them in the authors' original language!

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I'm looking forward to Fantagraphic's complete run of Don Rosa comics for Scrooge and Donald. I hope the entire "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" story is able to be collected in a single volume. I bought the Gift Box set collecting the first two volumes, and will be doing the same for the next four gift box sets.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

...and of course Fantagraphics' first colume of Carl Barks is OOP, at least here in Europe. Being into American comics can be such a hassle some times. Oh well, I'll just have to start with Don Rosa.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Yeah I keep popping in because this thread got me excited to try Disney comics but too much is out of print. Maybe Marvel will redo the reprints one day and I can get in on the ground floor.

Fanta is pretty good at reprinting stuff, as a matter of fact *checks Fanta's site* ... it seems they already have the new printing of Barks' Scrooge vol. 1 on their own online store! I'm afraid they don't sell directly to overseas, though, as their contract with Disney is just for North America.

I'm looking forward to Fantagraphic's complete run of Don Rosa comics for Scrooge and Donald. I hope the entire "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" story is able to be collected in a single volume. I bought the Gift Box set collecting the first two volumes, and will be doing the same for the next four gift box sets.
    I'm afraid Life and Times will be split up between two books: Volume 4 "The Last of the Clan McDuck", and Volume 5 "The Richest Duck in the World." Both volumes will also collect some stories published contemporaneously with Life and Times, like Guardians of the Lost Library.

Some Amazon Fish have turned up!

Rosa Volume 4: Richest Duck in the World. This, as mentioned right before me, is the second half of Life and Times.

Barks Volume 10: The Terror of the Beagle Boys. These stories from 1950 include the first appearance of the Beagle Boys. This also completes a straight run from volume 5 (Christmas on Bear Mountain) to Volume 14 (Seven Cities of Cibola), spanning 1947 to 1955.

Gottfriedson Mickey Volume 9: Rise of the Rhyming Man.

^Hope that with Barks Vol. 15 or 16 they become Scrooge & Donald books, instead of splitting up the stories they headline. It makes sense when covering the time period where Scrooge issues were intermittent specials and Barks was still producing long adventure stories with Donald. Looking at Barks' list of stories on Wikipedia it seems long Donald stories are about to become chronologically rare, aside from a few here and there. In a three year period I only see Secret of Hondorica, Forbidden Valley, and The Titanic Ants (and that one's a Scrooge story in everything but name).

Looking forward to the Rhyming Man. I've been wanting to read that one ever since reading Casty's modern sequel, The World of Tomorrow. Speaking of which: I feel a bit traitor as a dyed-in-the-wool duck fan, but with IDW's new books I find myself gravitating more to Mickey because the new book is largely centered on the new Italian Mickey comics being done by Casty. He's rapidly becoming my favorite Disney cartoonist behind Barks, Rosa, and Gottfredson.

I can't remember where I heard this, but I'm almost positive Fanta is going to do just that around Vol. 16 or so for that reason. It's one of those things I've seen tossed around on the Marvel Masterworks board enough that I'm quite confident in it.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I'm afraid Life and Times will be split up between two books: Volume 4 "The Last of the Clan McDuck", and Volume 5 "The Richest Duck in the World." Both volumes will also collect some stories published contemporaneously with Life and Times, like Guardians of the Lost Library.
    Dang, that's too bad. That means the gift box set including the second half of Life and Times probably won't be out till December 2016. I'd rather read the complete story in one go without a year gap in between, so it'll be some time before I can finally read the story.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Dang, that's too bad. That means the gift box set including the second half of Life and Times probably won't be out till December 2016. I'd rather read the complete story in one go without a year gap in between, so it'll be some time before I can finally read the story.
    Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, but I like that these hardcovers are a straight, chronological collection and I guess that's how everything falls. I think it's very likely that they'll reissue all of Life and Times as a set sometime in the future, though. I mean, it's obvious, right?

I'm especially looking forward to next year and the volumes after Life and Times, though. Because of BOOM's Life and Times and Donald Duck collections and a bunch of late'80s/early'90s duck issues I lucked into I've ended up reading most of the stories from the first half of Rosa's career, but I've only read a few from the second half.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mooch View Post
    Is anyone planning to get IDW's Donald Duck: The Daily Newspaper Comics Volume 1 (Al Taliaferro/Bob Karp)? How's the quality of these stories compared to the Donald Duck comics or Mickey strips? I'm kinda surprised these aren't coming from Fanta...maybe it's a rights thing?

I haven't bought it yet.
    But I see Vol #2 is coming out in Jan/Feb 2016 and also the Sunday pages is getting its own collection.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I haven't bought it yet.
    But I see Vol #2 is coming out in Jan/Feb 2016 and also the Sunday pages is getting its own collection.
    I just ordered this (and pre-ordered the upcoming two) after seeing it in a local shop...it looks amazing.
    The sunday volumes will be in color by the way and span 5 volumes.
    the regular ones have to cover about 30 years, so 15 volumes since every one of them covers 2 years.
    Then they are also releasing silly symphonies in the same format..busy times!

When I receive my copy next week ill make some high res photo's and share them here!

Amazing Member

20151014_185942.jpg20151014_190018.jpg20151014_190001.jpg

So, I just received the book.
    Looks lovely, sturdy bind and lots of content as well.
    I put a Hellboy Library next to it for size comparison!

Taliaferro's Silly Symphonies are being reprinted. IDW is really going all in on his stuff.