Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    It has approximately the same amount of pages. It contains the Christmas on bear mountain book and a Christmas for shacktown both of which are equatable size to the other barks volumes.
    Attachment 30652
    Could you do me a huge favor and take a few pictures of that Christmas set? I just bought it thanks to the IST sale and it's my first Uncle Scrooge/Donald Duck Fantagraphics books. I'd love to see a shot of the slipcase, a shot of the two books outside of the slipcase, a shot of the binding on any of the two, and maybe a couple shots of the art inside since I'm really unfamiliar with it.

Man, now that I spell all that out I'm asking quite a bit, lol. You don't have to, but I would definitely appreciate it.

Incredible Member

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    The slipcase has the same graphic on both sides.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Incredible Member

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    The bindings are nice and pliable without feeling loose or sloppy. Fantagraphics makes a pretty quality product from my experience.

Awesome! Thanks, brewman!

thanks for the responses, looks like a listing error then...sigh, gonna get this too
    @VanWinkle: Fantagraphics is usually really good with these collections, I only got the 2nd Rosa slipcase from the Duck line but absolutely loving it. And all my other Fanta books are rally good quality as well.

edit: and got the Christmas set as well. I'm hopeless. Really hope I will like Barks as well since now I have 3 sets on their way to me Still, better than cursing myself not getting them when they were available.

I've ordered the second Mickey Mouse box set from an italian website... I hope it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
    I've ordered the second Mickey Mouse box set from an italian website... I hope it's available.
    not that I need something new to buy but how is Mickey compared to the ducks? He seems a bit less interesting to me, I also have fond memories of the Duck tales cartoon while didn't really see anything with Mickey other than a few shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    not that I need something new to buy but how is Mickey compared to the ducks? He seems a bit less interesting to me, I also have fond memories of the Duck tales cartoon while didn't really see anything with Mickey other than a few shorts.
    It's a blind buy for me. I only know that I want to own all Barks-Gottfredson-Rosa stories... they are the big 3 of Disney comics. I have the complete Barks collection (in italian) and the first two Don Rosa Library box sets... so this is the next step (I truly hope it's available)

If I may answer the question: Gottfredson's Mickey is awesome! These comic strips were in some ways Barks' inspiration for where he'd take the ducks a couple of decades later, full of adventure. The characters (Mickey especially) are lots of fun, and night-and-day when compared to the bland corporate mascots we have nowadays. I find that when reading a lot of old comic strips you have to get used to the strange flow of reading a bunch of daily installments in rapid succession. It's awkward at first. I don't find that at all with Mickey. It reads like a comic book aside from the half panel recap at the beginning of the strip (which I usually ignore).

The only caveat I'd say is that the strips occasionally feature racial stereotypes of the time, some of the most over-the-top I've read. When I get a new volume I go through it and look for such incidents and get that story arc or two out of the way by reading them first, then I can comfortably enjoy the rest of the book!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    If I may answer the question: Gottfredson's Mickey is awesome! These comic strips were in some ways Barks' inspiration for where he'd take the ducks a couple of decades later, full of adventure. The characters (Mickey especially) are lots of fun, and night-and-day when compared to the bland corporate mascots we have nowadays. I find that when reading a lot of old comic strips you have to get used to the strange flow of reading a bunch of daily installments in rapid succession. It's awkward at first. I don't find that at all with Mickey. It reads like a comic book aside from the half panel recap at the beginning of the strip (which I usually ignore).

The only caveat I'd say is that the strips occasionally feature racial stereotypes of the time, some of the most over-the-top I've read. When I get a new volume I go through it and look for such incidents and get that story arc or two out of the way by reading them first, then I can comfortably enjoy the rest of the book!
    thanks for the response! I don't mind reading strips, I like Prince Valiant, Rip Kirby and others, currently reading and LOVING the Miss Fury sundays so the little recaps and small redundancies are certainly not a problem.
    I doubt it will have more racial stereotypes than Flash Gordon or Captain Easy and while I'm not a fan of it in case of 70 year old strips I don't get really outraged especially if you can see it's not meant to be offensive they were just a bit ignorant.

Incredible Member

thanks for the responses, looks like a listing error then...sigh, gonna get this too
    @VanWinkle: Fantagraphics is usually really good with these collections, I only got the 2nd Rosa slipcase from the Duck line but absolutely loving it. And all my other Fanta books are rally good quality as well.

edit: and got the Christmas set as well. I'm hopeless. Really hope I will like Barks as well since now I have 3 sets on their way to me Still, better than cursing myself not getting them when they were available.
    Be aware they have not been doing a box set release each time like they have for Rosa or Mickey. There are 3 Donald volumes out that have yet to be paired up or announced to be. The old castle's secret, the pixelated parrot, and trick or treat. The old castle was a 2013 release and the other 2 were this years releases. FYI if you are going to go completionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Be aware they have not been doing a box set release each time like they have for Rosa or Mickey. There are 3 Donald volumes out that have yet to be paired up or announced to be. The old castle's secret, the pixelated parrot, and trick or treat. The old castle was a 2013 release and the other 2 were this years releases. FYI if you are going to go completionist.
    thanks! The guy who is doing the youtube videos for Fanta (Mike?) commented under the Christmas set video IIRC that they won't do box sets for every volume. It's a bit strange since they seem to collect all the Mickey books in boxes and all the Peanuts as well, which is an even bigger commitment (but maybe they know there is a market for those)

I doubt it will have more racial stereotypes than Flash Gordon or Captain Easy and while I'm not a fan of it in case of 70 year old strips I don't get really outraged especially if you can see it's not meant to be offensive they were just a bit ignorant.
    I'm not really outraged, but I excessive cringing can impede enjoyment! I don't get that much from Barks, because even when some bad stereotypes creep into his work there's some slight, ironic twist that shows Barks wasn't taking these things at face value, and, of course, Barks eventually began eliminating material that we'd deem politically incorrect. Barks may have actually become oversensitive in some respects, introducing Magic de Spell to give Scrooge an apolitical nemesis, basically to replace the ducks treasure hunting (or grave robbing, depending on how you look at it)
    escapades.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I'm not really outraged, but I excessive cringing can impede enjoyment! I don't get that much from Barks, because even when some bad stereotypes creep into his work there's some slight, ironic twist that shows Barks wasn't taking these things at face value, and, of course, Barks eventually began eliminating material that we'd deem politically incorrect. Barks may have actually become oversensitive in some respects, introducing Magic de Spell to give Scrooge an apolitical nemesis, basically to replace the ducks treasure hunting (or grave robbing, depending on how you look at it)
    escapades.
    maybe outraged was a strong word but I get what you mean and certainly appreciate your input.

Incredible Member

thanks! The guy who is doing the youtube videos for Fanta (Mike?) commented under the Christmas set video IIRC that they won't do box sets for every volume. It's a bit strange since they seem to collect all the Mickey books in boxes and all the Peanuts as well, which is an even bigger commitment (but maybe they know there is a market for those)
    I would guess it is because they are releasing them non-sequentially. The box sets they have now have a general theme to them so it sort of makes sense to group them, but at the end the boxes themselves become worthless if one wished to shelve the series chronologically. As stated earlier though who really cares about the slipcase when it is such a good deal on the 2 books verse separate volumes.