Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Aliens from 1950s Batman

Any chance grim and gritty versions could show up someday?

I think Grant Morrison classified them as hallucinations brought about by Joker toxin.

Perhaps, but it still leaves minor doors open. What if the toxins are otherworldly?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I think Grant Morrison classified them as hallucinations brought about by Joker toxin.
    To be fair, that's only for Morrison's take on the continuity.

This is a problem for me with DC. Invalidating previous continuity or leaving it as the province of "one" writer. The trend started with their first reboot, COIEs, and they still have not recovered from all the mistakes they made then.

Aliens, their weapons, poisons and plots are in the current DC verse, so why could they not exist in Batman's Silver Age tales. We/they just know more about them now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    This is a problem for me with DC. Invalidating previous continuity or leaving it as the province of "one" writer. The trend started with their first reboot, COIEs, and they still have not recovered from all the mistakes they made then.

Aliens, their weapons, poisons and plots are in the current DC verse, so why could they not exist in Batman's Silver Age tales. We/they just know more about them now.
    Well, to be fair to Morrison, that stuff was pretty much out of continuity before he found a way to bring it all back that made 'sense' in the context of the modern Batman mythos.

Of course, one can always assume that Batman and Robin, while hallucinating, were actually experiencing the crazy alien adventures that their counterparts on Earth 1/Earth 2 experienced Kinda like how back in the day, Barry Allen read comic-book stories dreamt up by the Gardner Fox of his earth which were based on Jay Garrick's real exploits on another earth!

So on which Earth would you find an actual talking fox and crow? :-)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Crow View Post
    So on which Earth would you find an actual talking fox and crow? :-)
    Tales of Uncle Remus had talking foxes, rabbits, and bears.

Mighty Member

Is there still an Earth C? That was where DC's funny animals, including Fox and Crow, lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Is there still an Earth C? That was where DC's funny animals, including Fox and Crow, lived.
    Man, I sure HOPE so!!!!!! It'd be a lot more enjoyable than what we're getting! Where Beppo the Super Monkey when you need him?

Retired

The Fox and the Crow were owned by Columbia Pictures and they had a number of cartoon shorts. I don't know where the rights stand now, but maybe DC wouldn't be able to use them without going through Sony.

I always imagined that Slappy Squirrel and her gang of funny animals from ANIMANIACS was related to the funny animals that DC published in the 1940s and 1950s, like Nutsy Squirrel and Racoon Kids.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Fox and the Crow were owned by Columbia Pictures and they had a number of cartoon shorts. I don't know where the rights stand now, but maybe DC wouldn't be able to use them without going through Sony.

I always imagined that Slappy Squirrel and her gang of funny animals from ANIMANIACS was related to the funny animals that DC published in the 1940s and 1950s, like Nutsy Squirrel and Racoon Kids.
    I didn't like the big red alien that threw a rock on Dick.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I didn't like the big red alien that threw a rock on Dick.
    Eh? You mean the alien in "Robin Dies at Dawn" BATMAN 156? I have that comic--that was probably the story that gave Grant Morrison the whole idea for the Black Casebook, as the death of Robin and the alien world is just in Batman's mind and isn't real. It's clearly shown as such in the story--and the scientist involved (Doctor Hurt) is Morrison's big bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Eh? You mean the alien in "Robin Dies at Dawn" BATMAN 156? I have that comic--that was probably the story that gave Grant Morrison the whole idea for the Black Casebook, as the death of Robin and the alien world is just in Batman's mind and isn't real. It's clearly shown as such in the story--and the scientist involved (Doctor Hurt) is Morrison's big bad.

I have that issue, too, and I've always wondered: Did Batman dig a proper grave or did he just pile some rocks over the corpse? I guess he didn't think about the bothersome details during his hallucination.

I possibly read that as a child. I remember the cover being so iconic, with Batman holding the dead Robin. This was around the era of the tale I mentioned previously. Still iconic to me.