Page 84 of 198 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2966
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    that's the same with anything....when a character sells as great as batman does you have all the room you need to tell great stories but with characters that don't sell as well or just sell below average and are in the crapper.....there's less room to really tell much of a story when the rug could be pulled out from under you at any time due to poor sales
    I know that, but they only have themselves to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    They are not punishing her, they just have no idea what to do with her.
    It's really not even that hard though, like, lol.

Just bring her back to her roots when she was the fun, free spirited, snarky, with attitude, smart, flirty, sex pot with a good gash of depth and an unashamed thief (who does it for the thrill), but one who's sympathetic to the downtrodden. Legit, every other media does her better. And they're not the company that created her. Gotham, Arkham series, TDKR, Telltale, etc. Though Telltale is dragging in the BatCat too deep and fading her villain-y aspect so she can work with Bruce more when the impression is that Batman secretly enjoys the chase. Eh.

They're just trying to make her this gritty, full of baggage, king pin or mass murderer. And it's laughable.

BANNED

Telltale writer and Laura Bailey discuss how they view and created the character

Sums it up perfectly and why they get her so right while many DC writers get her so wrong.

https://video.buffer.com/v/581d06328...ampaign=buffer

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimeBright View Post

Just bring her back to her roots when she was the fun, free spirited, snarky, with attitude, smart, flirty, sex pot with a good gash of depth and an unashamed thief (who does it for the thrill), but one who's sympathetic to the downtrodden. Legit, every other media does her better. And they're not the company that created her. Gotham, Arkham series, TDKR, Telltale, etc. Though Telltale is dragging in the BatCat too deep and fading her villain-y aspect so she can work with Bruce more when the impression is that Batman secretly enjoys the chase. Eh.

They're just trying to make her this gritty, full of baggage, king pin or mass murderer. And it's laughable.
    She doesn't even have to be STRICTLY a thief. She could be a con-artist, blackmailer, or double-agent working for the Court/Parlaiment of Owls while secretly feeding Batman info.

Seriously, I just came up with at least three good ideas that would fit her personality and archetype. Come on, DC.
    Last edited by TsukiSentinel; 11-06-2016 at 03:25 AM.

it should also be pointed out that these are media where the stories have a planned ending whereas with Selina you have a character trapped in a medium that keeps going on and on. Hence, why writers struggle to come up with good ideas.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by chipsnopotatoes View Post
    Telltale writer and Laura Bailey discuss how they view and created the character

Sums it up perfectly and why they get her so right while many DC writers get her so wrong.

https://video.buffer.com/v/581d06328...ampaign=buffer
    Wow, that was great. I wish the interview were longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    it should also be pointed out that these are media where the stories have a planned ending whereas with Selina you have a character trapped in a medium that keeps going on and on. Hence, why writers struggle to come up with good ideas.
    Well, even in an ongoing medium that doesn't mean you can't have a character written consistently or consistently well and in-character.

If not, then I think that just speaks to the writers not having as good a handle or understanding of the character as the people adapting them into other media apparently do .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, even in an ongoing medium that doesn't mean you can't have a character written consistently or consistently well and in-character.

If not, then I think that just speaks to the writers not having as good a handle or understanding of the character as the people adapting them into other media apparently do .
    Let's not forget the editors who control everything behind the scenes.

The Ed Brubaker run on Catwoman was on sale on Comixlogy a while back...and I bought it for two main reasons...like Ed B's writing, and knew run featured a fair chunk of Darwyn Cooke artwork.

Finally got round to reading some of it last night. It's wonderfully good, best DC mainstream stuff I've read for a long time...and I'd say Selina's characterisation is bang in line with what you're suggesting is suitable for her.

I doubt if she's ever been "done better" in any non comics media....thought I can readily believe your point that more recent portrayals in comics have been poorer than in other formats.

Incredible Member

Random thoughts on Catwoman in films, more specifically Halle Berry's Catwoman.

Halle's a weird thing for me. As a 90s Kid, my first superhero films weren't the Batman quartet but rather an ad-hoc trilogy of Phantom, Rocketeer and the Shadow, which weren't actually tied to one another but were sort of set around the same time period IRl and in-film and had some really memorable visuals (Shadow in particular was sort of Doctor Strange today).

If I recall correctly there hadn't been a public cinema in Jordan for a while growing up (or at least not one in Amman proper), so my superhero viewings were dependent on them popping up on TV and me being lucky to catch them. As a result of that, my first "Catwoman" experience was Halle Berry's 2004 film on free tv, after which I sort of went back and watched a lot of live action materials like the Batman and Superman ones. Halle's film was of course very terrible and deserved the Razzies it got, especially since it didn't have anything to do with the actual Catwoman Selina Kyle (it was some character just for the films with her own backstory for some reason), but it did stick with me for a long time that even to this day I'm vaguely in support Selina Kyle being black.

Dunno, sort of like an out-of-body experience, or a Quantum Leap thing where I was in a universe where that movie was actually great and influential. Does anyone else here have that same sort of odd mentality?

Here's a bit of a preview of a Wonder Woman/Catwoman story in the upcoming New Talent Showcase (hard to see, I know):

NewTalentShowcase_TOC_5821000e988e72.64287597.jpg

Selina, you're attacking Wonder Woman. What did you think was going to happen?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Heh, I had a good laugh at the heels comment .

And this definitely feels more like Catwoman then her appearances in Batman so far...

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    Random thoughts on Catwoman in films, more specifically Halle Berry's Catwoman.

Halle's a weird thing for me. As a 90s Kid, my first superhero films weren't the Batman quartet but rather an ad-hoc trilogy of Phantom, Rocketeer and the Shadow, which weren't actually tied to one another but were sort of set around the same time period IRl and in-film and had some really memorable visuals (Shadow in particular was sort of Doctor Strange today).

If I recall correctly there hadn't been a public cinema in Jordan for a while growing up (or at least not one in Amman proper), so my superhero viewings were dependent on them popping up on TV and me being lucky to catch them. As a result of that, my first "Catwoman" experience was Halle Berry's 2004 film on free tv, after which I sort of went back and watched a lot of live action materials like the Batman and Superman ones. Halle's film was of course very terrible and deserved the Razzies it got, especially since it didn't have anything to do with the actual Catwoman Selina Kyle (it was some character just for the films with her own backstory for some reason), but it did stick with me for a long time that even to this day I'm vaguely in support Selina Kyle being black.

Dunno, sort of like an out-of-body experience, or a Quantum Leap thing where I was in a universe where that movie was actually great and influential. Does anyone else here have that same sort of odd mentality?
    I didn't dislike the Catwoman movie that much when I saw it at first but its flaws became clearer over time. I don't mind Selina being black though.

BANNED

Well, at least they haven't said "No Robin or Nightwing". Yet

And at least we got a mostly good live action Catwoman just 4 years ago, so another few years of wait isn't so bad IMO.