Page 6 of 198 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    My order of Catwoman comics arrived today. I got #1-5 & #8-11. I already had #6, 7, 12 & 13 as part of my Batman: Knightfall collection. I also grabbed The Catfile TPB, which is #15-19.

All of them ultra-cheap, but in good condition.

That's dope how much you have to pay for all that?
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Not including shipping, it was $14.09. Would have been $8.10 without "The Catfile." All the singles were between $0.80 and $1 each.

I got them from www.mycomicshop.com, which is where I buy probably 95% of the comics I get online.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Speaking of, I'd love to see a current-iteration of Zephyr. I know she's a pure 90s one-tone misunderstood oversexed villainess, but I'd love to see a (good) writer on her.

Current Pull List: Catwoman - Batman - Detective Comics - Harley Quinn - Grayson - Batgirl - Afterlife With Archie - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Harley Quinn/Power Girl - Black Canary - Midnighter

The Balent series is so underrated, I wish it wasn't doomed to always be in the Brubaker series' shadow. I credit its back-issues for getting me into comics at all. I do admit that some things about it have aged rather poorly over time, the corny villains being a big one. :P

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    The Balent series is so underrated, I wish it wasn't doomed to always be in the Brubaker series' shadow. I credit its back-issues for getting me into comics at all. I do admit that some things about it have aged rather poorly over time, the corny villains being a big one. :P
    I think it's all about how you look at it - Volume 2 (or the "Balent" series) was just pure 90s fun - and the fans that grew up with it, like myself, or the fans that now being introduced to it can enjoy and appreciate it in all its glory. But, lets not forget, after Balent left at issue #77- the series took a turn for the worst and went in to a downward spiral.

Initially, when Brubaker and Cooke were about to take over, they were going to just continue Volume 2 - but decided that with their change of status-quo to just relaunch the series in to Volume 3. What I loved about the relaunch is that Brubaker respected everything before and didn't ignore anything (even the not-so-great stuff.) What Brubaker did was revitalize Catwoman and make her an enjoyable read once again, though now more stylish and a little more serious.

So, I wouldn't say that Volume 2 was "doomed to always be in [Volume 3's] shadow," because it was just a continuation of Selina's story - and although generally more respected by the masses, doesn't mean it's in Volume 3's proverbial shadow. Apples and Oranges.
    Last edited by CatBoy; 05-18-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: meow.
    Current Pull List: Catwoman - Batman - Detective Comics - Harley Quinn - Grayson - Batgirl - Afterlife With Archie - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Harley Quinn/Power Girl - Black Canary - Midnighter

Mighty Member

That purple suit with long hair version has always been my favorite version.

What do you all think of TAS versions of Selina Kyle?

The blonde version i thought was hot since i was 11 when i saw that show on Fox and i thought she looked like Michelle Pfeifer, Adrienne Barbeau's voice was sooo seductive as her on the show.

The brunette version i dug when i was a teenager watching WB's seasons and when i saw that episode where she was in her night clothes, i had wild fantasies about her.

Who else thought Michelle was gorgeous in Batman Returns?

I did at age 11 when i saw the movie in theaters as Michelle was always one of my boyhood crushes.

TAS' Catwoman was...okay. I don't remember her having any really bad episodes, but she never had any great, stand-out moments, IMO.

As for the Catwoman in Batman Returns...I'm not gonna lie, it's probably my favorite take of her outside of the comics. Yes, she's one of the more drastically different takes, but she had a really interesting story arc in contrast to Batman's--and their chemistry together was absolutely electric. I mean, don't get me wrong, Hathaway was fantastic as Selina, and I'll admit that a bit of my love for it comes from nostalgia, but I have watched the movie not even a few weeks ago, and I think it still holds up.

Ultimate Member

TAS Catwoman was good, but not as good as she could have been. I liked the character design, I liked the costume, and I really liked the voice actress. But I always felt like she was underused in that show. She didn't appear often enough and although I liked her when she did show up, the showrunners didn't do enough to make her appearance memorable enough.

I have a very mixed opinion of Catwoman in Batman Returns. I love Michelle Pfeiffer's performance and she looks hot as Hell both in the suit and out, but I just wasn't a fan of how the character was written. She never really screamed "Catwoman" to me. She was more like "generic Burton freak #225." My feelings are the same for the Penguin in that movie as well (great performance by Danny DeVito, but a poorly written character).

@Jay Kay
    +1 on MP in BR

I agree very much regarding Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns. Between Michelle's masterful performance, the extreme (and very non-canonical) Penguin and even Schreck poor Batman was really was just along for the ride. Despite this, Keaton did an excellent job and his having dated Pfeiffer helped charge their interaction.

While Pfeiffer's Catwoman isn't dark haired and she has a new origin story for the movie, she really captured the grey quality of Selina from the comics: unpredictable, not 100% good, not 100% bad, willing to break rules, steal, fiercely independent with a human, caring inner nature. And her chemistry with Batman/Bruce was stunning! Her scene with Bruce and Schreck after her fall, their date at Wayne Manor, the classic ballroom scene and the climatic (and tragic for Bat&Cat fans) unmasking at the end. Wow, just wow.

Now Hathaway gave a blow out performance in Les Miserables despite not being a Wolverine-level, pro-singer or having much screen time. I think she very much deserved her Oscar for that.

But ... in The Dark Knight Rises I was super excited about Catwoman's return to film but also very nervous. But if Heath Ledger could follow up Jack with a knock out Joker, maybe Anne could create another great Catwoman (or just Selina).

Sadly, no. I think Anne was fine for the "look": slim, fit dark haired, very attractive. She has the acting chops, no doubt. But the writing she had to work with was sub-optimal.

The TDKR Catwoman Good:
    - she looked great, nice suit, liked the weaponized heels
    - she was a thief, a big canonical plus, nicely done
    - good plot point from the comics about her wanting to wipe her record
    - nice canonical nod to Holly (despite her movie name of Jen)

The TDKR Catwoman Bad: (putting on my lava proof suit)
    - zero chemistry with Bruce/Batman, the 2 times they kissed were "so what" moments for me, this could also be a Bale issue
    - no origin story, something would have been nice
    - she uses a handgun instead of a whip! Terrible
    - her change to "good" and coming back for Batman didn't resonate
    - never called Catwoman in the movie (a small but irritating thing)

So the big negative was the lack of chemistry with Batman/Bruce. Without this working any Catwoman portrait is going to fail IMO. Of course this could be a writing issue but Christian Bale might be part of it.

No matter, there were great moments in TDKR, for mostly from Bane plus a few nice Selina moments. Maybe Anne will come back in a non-Nolan Selina/Catwoman movie which she's expressed interest in. They better hurry and not wait years and years like they did with Michelle Pfeiffer. Until then a new Catwoman comes to film (Halle's doesn't count), there's always Batman Returns.

I love the animated series version of Selina. Adrienne Barbeau added so much personality and seductiveness with her sultry voice, and I always loved the way she was drawn outside of the costume. The blond hair, the big green eyes, the curves; I know it's just a cartoon, but damn she was gorgeous! However, I wasn't crazy about the changes to her for TNBA, in terms of her design. In fact, I didn't really like most of the design changes they did for that show. All of the female characters suffered the worst, going from looking like real women in BTAS to skinny little pixie sticks in TNBA.

After lots of rumors and denials, I was excited to eventually learn Selina would be in The Dark Knight Rises. Lookswise, I thought Anne Hathaway was great. The costume could have been a little better, but it wasn't bad, and there's no denying she looked incredible in it. I love her little cat-like strides in a few parts, and of course, straddling that Batpod through the streets of Gotham wasn't bad either. Hehe! I also liked the touch with her mask forming cat ears when pushed up onto her head. But, actingwise, I thought she gave only a mediocre performance, and didn't have much chemistry with Christian Bale. I also thought she was rather underwritten as well, too.

Michelle Pfeiffer remains my favorite live-action Catwoman. As mentioned above, I enjoyed her character arc, she had great chemistry with Michael Keaton (their dance scene is so much better than the one with Bale and Hathaway), and I thought she gave a really good performance. It's a long read, but here is a great article I found showing how the Batman Returns Selina relates to the source material.

She clearly made an impact as Catwoman, especially with us guys who were just impressionable young teenagers back in 1992. I think it goes without saying that for a whole generation, Michelle Pfeiffer is Catwoman.

Last edited by Michael24; 05-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    @Jay Kay
    +1 on MP in BR

I agree very much regarding Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns. Between Michelle's masterful performance, the extreme (and very non-canonical) Penguin and even Schreck poor Batman was really was just along for the ride. Despite this, Keaton did an excellent job and his having dated Pfeiffer helped charge their interaction.

While Pfeiffer's Catwoman isn't dark haired and she has a new origin story for the movie, she really captured the grey quality of Selina from the comics: unpredictable, not 100% good, not 100% bad, willing to break rules, steal, fiercely independent with a human, caring inner nature. And her chemistry with Batman/Bruce was stunning! Her scene with Bruce and Schreck after her fall, their date at Wayne Manor, the classic ballroom scene and the climatic (and tragic for Bat&Cat fans) unmasking at the end. Wow, just wow.

Now Hathaway gave a blow out performance in Les Miserables despite not being a Wolverine-level, pro-singer or having much screen time. I think she very much deserved her Oscar for that.

But ... in The Dark Knight Rises I was super excited about Catwoman's return to film but also very nervous. But if Heath Ledger could follow up Jack with a knock out Joker, maybe Anne could create another great Catwoman (or just Selina).

Sadly, no. I think Anne was fine for the "look": slim, fit dark haired, very attractive. She has the acting chops, no doubt. But the writing she had to work with was sub-optimal.

The TDKR Catwoman Good:
    - she looked great, nice suit, liked the weaponized heels
    - she was a thief, a big canonical plus, nicely done
    - good plot point from the comics about her wanting to wipe her record
    - nice canonical nod to Holly (despite her movie name of Jen)

The TDKR Catwoman Bad: (putting on my lava proof suit)
    - zero chemistry with Bruce/Batman, the 2 times they kissed were "so what" moments for me, this could also be a Bale issue
    - no origin story, something would have been nice
    - she uses a handgun instead of a whip! Terrible
    - her change to "good" and coming back for Batman didn't resonate
    - never called Catwoman in the movie (a small but irritating thing)

So the big negative was the lack of chemistry with Batman/Bruce. Without this working any Catwoman portrait is going to fail IMO. Of course this could be a writing issue but Christian Bale might be part of it.

No matter, there were great moments in TDKR, for mostly from Bane plus a few nice Selina moments. Maybe Anne will come back in a non-Nolan Selina/Catwoman movie which she's expressed interest in. They better hurry and not wait years and years like they did with Michelle Pfeiffer. Until then a new Catwoman comes to film (Halle's doesn't count), there's always Batman Returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    TAS Catwoman was good, but not as good as she could have been. I liked the character design, I liked the costume, and I really liked the voice actress. But I always felt like she was underused in that show. She didn't appear often enough and although I liked her when she did show up, the showrunners didn't do enough to make her appearance memorable enough.

I have a very mixed opinion of Catwoman in Batman Returns. I love Michelle Pfeiffer's performance and she looks hot as Hell both in the suit and out, but I just wasn't a fan of how the character was written. She never really screamed "Catwoman" to me. She was more like "generic Burton freak #225." My feelings are the same for the Penguin in that movie as well (great performance by Danny DeVito, but a poorly written character).
    Yes Catwoman's hair color was different in the movie but you have to remember in a few issues of the comic she dyed her hair blonde to disguise herself and did anyone else thought of Michelle Pfeifer and Danny Devito when they first saw Selina and Penguin on TAS? it was like the show was a semi-spinoff to Burton's movies and the comics combined.

Who else dug Meriwether and Newmar's takes on the character? i did since i was 8 when i saw reruns of the 60's show and when i rented the 1966 movie on video, they were boyhood crushes of mine. Both fit the role perfectly you know.

Who else thought Frank Miller's Sinead O'Conner take on Selina Kyle was ugly looking? she looked like a man and not very attractive.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I love the animated series version of Selina. Adrienne Barbeau added so much personality and seductiveness with her sultry voice, and I always loved the way she was drawn outside of the costume. The blond hair, the big green eyes, the curves; I know it's just a cartoon, but damn she was gorgeous! However, I wasn't crazy about the changes to her for TNBA, in terms of her design. In fact, I didn't really like most of the design changes they did for that show. All of the female characters suffered the worst, going from looking like real women in BTAS to skinny little pixie sticks in TNBA.

After lots of rumors and denials, I was excited to eventually learn Selina would be in The Dark Knight Rises. Lookswise, I thought Anne Hathaway was great. The costume could have been a little better, but it wasn't bad, and there's no denying she looked incredible in it. I love her little cat-like strides in a few parts, and of course, straddling that Batpod through the streets of Gotham wasn't bad either. Hehe! I also liked the touch with her mask forming cat ears when pushed up onto her head. But, actingwise, I thought she gave only a mediocre performance, and didn't have much chemistry with Christian Bale. I also thought she was rather underwritten as well, too.

Michelle Pfeiffer remains my favorite live-action Catwoman. As mentioned above, I enjoyed her character arc, she had great chemistry with Michael Keaton (their dance scene is so much better than the one with Bale and Hathaway), and I thought she gave a really good performance. It's a long read, but here is a great article I found showing how the Batman Returns Selina relates to the source material.

She clearly made an impact as Catwoman, especially with us guys who were just impressionable young teenagers back in 1992. I think it goes without saying that for a whole generation, Michelle Pfeiffer is Catwoman.

See, I didn't find the chemistry between Keaton and Pfeiffer to be all that believable either. He just kind of likes her because she's hot, no matter that it's painfully obvious that she's batshit insane (and it's blatantly obvious that she was from the first scene in that board room). I never bought it.

Clark and Selina sitting in a tree!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    How gorgeous! Love Jae Lee. That's Earth 2 Clark, right?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Cute picture no doubt, Superman is quite a ladies man just like Batman is.

Check out this cool tribute to her set to that song from the 1985 Fright Night: