Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Selina Kyle: Catwoman Appreciation 2018

Thread: Catwoman (Selina Kyle) Appreciation
    Time to restart our appreciation of the world's greatest thief, femme fatale, ready to whip, cat-like acrobat, apple of Batman's eye, Gotham parkour champion, not good, not bad, always shades of grey (purple and black), the incomparable, the amazing Catwoman!
    Catwoman from Batman: Outlaws #2 2000-10

Original splash pic: Catwoman (2002) #37 Character Driven 2005-01
    Last edited by heyevaxx; 10-24-2015 at 07:58 AM.

BANNED

Wow. We were close to 2000 posts in the other thread. Pity it was nuked.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    Time to restart our appreciation of the world's greatest thief, femme fatale, ready to whip, cat-like acrobat, apple of Batman's eye, Gotham parkour champion, not good, not bad, always shades of grey (purple and black), the incomparable, the amazing Catwoman!
    Catwoman from Batman: Outlaws #2 2000-10

Original splash pic: Catwoman (2002) #37 Character Driven 2005-01
    That is a beautiful Selina Kyle/Catwoman portrait. The fact that she resembles Lee Meriwether makes it all the more exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    That is a beautiful Selina Kyle/Catwoman portrait. The fact that she resembles Lee Meriwether makes it all the more exquisite.
    I agree! Outlaws was a weird mini but had some fun moments and the whole Batfam was involved.

I redid the original splash pic with a digital source:
    Thoughtful from Catwoman v3-37 Character Driven 2005-01 digital

A long time ago, I read a few issues of Catwoman. I liked it then, but since it was the only DC title I read and I was a poor teenager, I dropped it.

But I was always a fan of the character, so my question is: if I want to get back into it, what should I do?

And is the New 52 Catwoman a good series?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
    But I was always a fan of the character, so my question is: if I want to get back into it, what should I do? And is the New 52 Catwoman a good series?
    There have been 3 New 52 Catwoman authors with a 4th coming with issue 47. Working backwards:

Catwoman 47-
    Frank Tieri

Selina is going back to being Catwoman 100% of the time and getting back to thieving. This will be the "big heist" Selina from the 90s I think. The author buzz is not too good but the art looks great. We'll see.

Catwoman 35-46
    Genevieve Valentine

Selina as mob boss of Gotham with an intense, slow burn vibe. Valentine didn't have a lot of action but the story was rich and I think she captured Selina's voice well. I might put her as the 2nd best modern Catwoman author. I get a strong Gotham Central, The Wire, and The Godfather feel from her issues. I wish Valentine could have stayed and taken Selina back to thieving but it was not to be.

Catwoman 13-34 including a new issue #0 origin story
    Ann Nocenti

Umm, horrible. Just awful. Too much dialog, too many thought bubbles, ridiculous stories/friends/enemies, and Nocenti couldn't get Selina's voice, her personality right to save her life. Selina was so reckless and irreverent that it was surreal; like her just walking into some rich kids' party in broad daylight to hold them up. And not in costume! So dumb. And it was a critical flop; one reviewer was rating comics from 5 (take my money) to 0 (a Nocenti). I think Bronwyn Carlton at the end of the purple suit run is the absolute worst Catwoman author but I may be giving Nocenti a break since Catwoman was pretty bad under Winick who preceded her. Carlton took an ok Selina and just demolished her.

Catwoman 1-12
    Judd Winick

He debuted the New52 Catwoman and I thought it and his writing were bad. Some say he was not too bad or he was ok but I really disliked Winick's Selina. The cover of #1 was awful and it will forever be the icon for the New52 Selina. It was very violent, gory and he had Selina having sex with Batman, sort of in costume despite her not knowing who she is. So I didn't like Winick a bit though he gets less heat than Nocenti.

So, to sum up:

Catwoman 35+ gets you a great Selina as the Gotham mob boss, not much action but a slow, intense burn

Catwoman 47+ gets you, well, we're not sure yet. The art preview looked really good to me but the new author is iffy according to some. If you dig a Catwoman who's thieving and stealing, it'll probably be ok.

BANNED

Wow, this appreciation thread's buried 5 pages in. Poor kitty. Her 75th anniversary book is out. Without much fanfare of course given DC's austerity measures. The poor dears have had a very bad month with market share in free fall at 22%. I guess Diane has the patience of saint.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    Catwoman 35-46
    Genevieve Valentine

Selina as mob boss of Gotham with an intense, slow burn vibe. Valentine didn't have a lot of action but the story was rich and I think she captured Selina's voice well. I might put her as the 2nd best modern Catwoman author. I get a strong Gotham Central, The Wire, and The Godfather feel from her issues. I wish Valentine could have stayed and taken Selina back to thieving but it was not to be.
    The storys were good, but for me this isn't really Catwoman.
    Catwoman doesn't kill (or orders killings), she works solo and she doesn't quote medival texts.

So far been loving Catwoman/ batman together in the rooftop series they make a awesome team <3 since the Animated series to comic's & injustice games they both love each other & one of my favorite couples besides others in DC universe <3

All-New Member

What is the rooftop series?

Quote Originally Posted by Sannom View Post
    What is the rooftop series?
    The Rooftop Series refers to Issues #14 and #15 in Batman Rebirth.

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

Just received "Catwoman by Jim Balent, book one". Artwork & colors look good on fresh, glossy paper!

All-New Member

Seems Selina is going to be in the next 3 part arc--art by Joëlle Jones and Jordie Bellaire

Catwoman 1.jpg

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I love Selina.

Sadly, her current book is just painful to read right now. Hopefully she'll get a better writer and a better storyline sometime soon, so I can enjoy her awesomeness again.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Favorite Feline(Female) In all of comics. Hopefully she get's a ongoing relaunch soon, until then lets hope Eternal picks up the slack with the Selina love! I hope at some point again in the future we can see Selina in her Zero Year costume again, I thought it looked great.