Page 15 of 198 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    What? Nolan's films barely have any CGI in them. Can't say the same about Burton's work today now that he has access to technology and effects that he didn't before (Did you see Alice in Wonderland?)

I don't mind Burton's ambiance in those films along with most of the performances, but there are a plethora of problems narrative wise. Especially in Returns. And one issue in particular that isn't true to the spirit of the character of Batman at all. I don't mind certain liberties being taken in any rendition of a story, but some things shouldn't be changed with iconic characters.
    I completely and strongly disagree with you, but I'm not interested in debating it, so let's agree to disagree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Always nice to see someone who's not afraid to say that. They are still my favorites as well and the only (live-action) Bat-films I own.
    Same here. Nolan's films weren't Batman movies---they were crime dramas with a guy in a Bat costume. Burton's films were stylish and entertaining. I loved the stories, acting, characterization, costumes, action, etc. And let's face it, who saw The Dark Knight and didn't want to slit their wrists afterward? Totally nihilistic and miserable.

I think the Nolan and Burton films are just reflections of the times they were made. The 90s had a lot of more "true-to-form" superhero flicks with ridiculous costumes and corny dialogue, whereas the 00s took a more serious "crime drama" approach to the genre. They're both good for different reasons and I can't say I honestly prefer one style over the other. I do largely prefer Pffiefer's Catwoman over Hathaway's, though my complains with her are based mainly in the plot and not the actress herself. She was barely given a chance to have any personality! Token "anti-hero with a shady past" archetype, not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by catbatfan View Post
    Same here. Nolan's films weren't Batman movies---they were crime dramas with a guy in a Bat costume. Burton's films were stylish and entertaining. I loved the stories, acting, characterization, costumes, action, etc. And let's face it, who saw The Dark Knight and didn't want to slit their wrists afterward? Totally nihilistic and miserable.
    Yeah, I thought The Dark Knight was wildly overrated. I do admit to liking The Dark Knight Rises, largely because I was happy to finally see a good live-action Bane, plus a lot of story material was drawn from the "Knightfall" arc, which I've always loved. But I agree, the Burton films are so much more stylish and entertaining, Gotham is (*gasp*) gothic like it should be, and plus they're just plain fun.

Anyway, back to Catwoman. I was mistaken about the issues I found at my LCS being in the $1 boxes. I went back today and realized they were actually in "Miscellaneous Singles" boxes, so I wasn't able to get as many as I thought I would because they were between $3-$5. For now, I just picked up #0, #20, #22, #23 and Annual #2.

My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    The 90s had a lot of more "true-to-form" superhero flicks with ridiculous costumes and corny dialogue
    I'm sorry but those are two things not present in the Burton films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Yeah, I thought The Dark Knight was wildly overrated. I do admit to liking The Dark Knight Rises, largely because I was happy to finally see a good live-action Bane, plus a lot of story material was drawn from the "Knightfall" arc, which I've always loved. But I agree, the Burton films are so much more stylish and entertaining, Gotham is (*gasp*) gothic like it should be, and plus they're just plain fun.

Anyway, back to Catwoman. I was mistaken about the issues I found at my LCS being in the $1 boxes. I went back today and realized they were actually in "Miscellaneous Singles" boxes, so I wasn't able to get as many as I thought I would because they were between $3-$5. For now, I just picked up #0, #20, #22, #23 and Annual #2.

I agree your assessment of The Dark Knight Rises. It was a bit more fun than Nolan's other Bat-films mainly because of Catwoman (and Talia died! YAY!!!).

Nice haul! I love Catwoman Annual #2. It revised Catwoman's Year One origin (and erased Her Sister's Keeper), which made me very happy.

You're right, I actually got the Burton and Schumaker films mixed up somehow. :S

I still think that the Burton films and Nolan films were made with two very different audiences in mind, though.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    You're right, I actually got the Burton and Schumaker films mixed up somehow. :S

I still think that the Burton films and Nolan films were made with two very different audiences in mind, though.
    Yes, that's true, there's not much crossover between fans of these films. Most either like one or the other (although the dislike of Schumaker seems universal).

"Just the pussy I've been looking for".

I completely and strongly disagree with you, but I'm not interested in debating it, so let's agree to disagree.
    Sure. If you have time though you should watch this review. Pretty much nails my feelings on Batman Returns.

In my opinion the majority of the film just gets more and more ridiculous with age. It's definitely a product of the 90's and evidence that superhero films were in their infancy and weren't as refined as they are today. Superman The Movie is the only one my opinion that has stood the test of time over all these years.

There are a couple of full length commentaries to both of Burton's films by the name of a YouTuber named Oliver Harper. He and another associate do a fantastic job of profiling both of Burton's films. The ups and mostly downs.

I will say that I still enjoy some aspects to both of those films. Especially the first Burton film. For nostalgic reasons for the most part. Also some of the production design and music. When you learn to look at it with a critical eye though from a narrative standpoint, there are a lot of issues. When you feel like talking about it we can discuss it at another point in length. Probably in another thread.

Guys, let's get this back on-topic, please.

"Catwoman/Selina Kyle Appreciation".

Stumbled across this on Youtube last night. Not a great song, but I think it's pretty catchy.

My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

I saw this fanart at this tumblr.

I'm excited for the show and really hope they write and direct Bicondova well to get a great young Selina.

Heh, thought this was pretty cool...

Amazing Member

Not even sure why I picked up the latest issue lol but my god October cant get here soon enough! Im betting the sales will take a HUGE dip and then pick up again in October.
    Books I'm reading: Batman Eternal, Red Hood, Black Widow, Elektra, Loki Agent of Asgard, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Catwoman.........

How come there's no Thread celebrating Batman & Catwoman?