Page 17 of 198 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Her short hair in Year One was so hideous, though. She was basically rocking the Sigourney Weaver look from Alien3.

Really? I loved that look on her. It had a very "Don't screw with me" vibe going on.

Selina Kyle is my favorite comic character and she's aces with both short and long hair.

But I prefer short. It's distinctive, practical and fits her personality more IMO. Key to Selina is playing by *her* rules and not trying to impress others. She does what she wants and if she wants long, short, no hair, so be it. I think she'd go with short. Ask any woman with a mane like dew and they'll tell you it takes a lot of time and product to keep it like that. Even if the hair is naturally full bodied, it's a lot of work to shape it. I know, I know, this is comics and not real life but I can't help but think short would be so much more practical. Sort of like flats versus heels for female superhero shoes. High heel boots are just nuts.

Also, as good as some of Jim Balent's huge black manes look, they're so implausible both for Selina wearing her hair like that as an acrobat/fighter and also for there always needing to be a wind machine just out of frame so the mane flows dramatically. I guess Jim B's hair goes along with his in-human figure for Selina: the world's greatest acrobat would never have a huge chest like he gave her. The New 52 Selina is frequently super top heavy. At least Adam Hughes drew everything else really well despite over endowing Selina. But I digress...

Here's a nice bit of art about Selina's hair. She just gave up Helena for adoption and someone blew up her apartment. She's staying at a safe house where she decides on a change of course. From Catwoman v3 #74:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    Really? I loved that look on her. It had a very "Don't screw with me" vibe going on.
    It makes her look unattractive and man-ish.

While the shorter hair is definitely practical for a thief, I love Selina with long, wild hair. I wish they'd given her a makeover for her new role as kingpin. She doesn't need the short hair anymore, and she's had that look forever now. Tim Sale's depiction is probably my favorite, she looks so classy and fun yet dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by catbatfan View Post
    I sure hope When in Rome gets an Absolute Edition. The Long Halloween and Dark Victory have Absolute editions, and I think even Haunted Knight got one. Come onnnnnnn, Catwoman!!!
    It's going to be included in the Haunted Knight Absolute!

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    Here's this image by Tim Sale from When In Rome in glorious, digital hi-def:
    Carwoman.When.In.Rome.TPB.p012-Tim.Sale.jpg 1920x2951
    http://s30.postimg.org/6fepd8m73/Car...2_Tim_Sale.jpg
    Damn! Then I really need to check out When In Rome already. That's one gorgeous Selina!

Couple images I found last night:

My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    While the shorter hair is definitely practical for a thief, I love Selina with long, wild hair. I wish they'd given her a makeover for her new role as kingpin. She doesn't need the short hair anymore, and she's had that look forever now. Tim Sale's depiction is probably my favorite, she looks so classy and fun yet dangerous.

Seriously?!?! I had no idea!! Now I need to buy it!!!!!

It's going to be included in the Haunted Knight Absolute!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by catbatfan View Post
    If there's one way to get me to shell out money on a DC product, it would be Tim Sale drawing Catwoman.

Re her short hair, my problem is that not all artists can pull it off and still keep her attractive. I can count on one hand the artists who can make her look good in short hair -- Jim Lee, Adam Hughes, Yanick Paquette and Tony Daniel. The rest, ugh, especially that ugly Lisa Rinna look where her hair sticks out in all directions.

I don't know why people are so obsessed with practicality for Catwoman. To me, that's more Babs than Selina.

Julie Newmar/Michelle Pfeiffer/Anne Hathaway -- those are my Catwomen, nothing about them screams "I'm practical."

Also, are we saying that 99% of the DCU women are impractical for having long hair?
    Last edited by chipsnopotatoes; 08-13-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Default Catwoman #36 LEGO Variant Cover

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

LOL! That is awesome!
    My Blog | Tumblr

I really hope the new team/direction for Catwoman is good - I've been unable to read of my favourite characters since Nocenti came on board. Adore the Jae Lee covers so far.

BANNED

Interview with the new writer. DC doesn't seem to be doing much promotion for this book. Excerpts and link:

https://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfi...=IN08181406250

DF: There is talk about some of the changes you will bring to the book. Can you discuss some of those?

Genevieve Valentine: Good question! Let's see if I can do it without a ton of spoilers.

The Selina we meet at the beginning of my run has been occupying a position that affects hundreds, maybe thousands of lives, which has put her in a state of hypervigilance; some of the dark humor is still there, but she's living in an uncanny valley between the biggest long con of her life and the potential for a new beginning, and both options keep her on her guard. That said, she's also facing a couple of new characters who challenge her, and with whom she finds a surprising honesty. And after everything that's happened recently with Batman, their dynamic at the start of this arc is at something of an impasse—a sexy, sexy impasse.

But of course, for something as collaborative as comics, the look of the book carries its own immense weight in the story—everything I've seen from Garry Brown and Jae Lee has been just gorgeous, and that's definitely shaped the mood and the movement of the story.

DF: Selina Kyle has always played power games with herself, been her own worst enemy. How will this new direction reflect that aspect of her character? Unlike most women in comics, especially villains, Catwoman has always appreciated her independence, her freedom. One thing that drives her to get in a cat suit some nights is simply that she can. How will this new responsibility affect that?

Genevieve Valentine: These two aspects of the character actually form, for me, the core of her psychology in this arc. The flip side of being a free agent—which is absolutely a defining characteristic for her, and something she feels as if she's lost at the beginning of this arc—is that you have to be able to know yourself absolutely to make it out the other side. The power game comes in whenever she thinks she can game that personal system somehow and lie to herself to get what she wants—and sometimes it even works, which makes it a tough habit to break. A lot of Catwoman's journey has been built around internal conflicts that stem from these two traits in opposition. She refuses the burden of being a hero, but her lines—Here But No Farther—get drawn regularly, and move in surprising ways even to her. By putting her in the position of making decisions that affect an entire city, you take away that flexibility of working alone and exacerbate that personal power struggle of what she'll do if she has the power to make it happen, which makes it a question of whether she'll begin to lose herself within this position she's made: If you crown her, does she become a queen?

DF: And does she still have the deep love for Gotham she has possessed?

Genevieve Valentine: Always. It was a driving reason she accepted her new role in the first place; she wants to use her power to help rebuild the city. Gotham might be a town full of suckers, but it's her town full of suckers.

Did anybody ever play this for the Game Boy Color?

It was released in 1999, but I never even knew it existed until about a week ago. I snagged a copy off Amazon Marketplace for about $7, including shipping. It's not the worst game I've played, although some actions can be a little frustrating. Sometimes you'll try to jump onto a platform, but you keep bumping your head on the one above, which causes you to miss and fall, or you go to strike an enemy, but you've stopped too short and your punch/kick doesn't reach them, during which they have time to shoot you. ARGH!

But it's got some nice little details that I'm surprised they even bothered to include, such as being able to hug the walls in order to avoid detection, back flip from a crouching position, and when you jump to a platform that's directly overhead, Selina will grab the edge and do a neat little flip in order to get herself up there.

Overall, not a great game, but I like having some fun, simple titles for my Game Boy Advance to just mess around with when I'm bored.
    My Blog | Tumblr

BANNED

I think I remember the game, but I didn't have a Game Boy Color and never had the chance to play it. I'm a little bit jealous right now!

I still have the game and bought it when it was released... It's pretty damn hard - because it's very awkward as you say. Years later I would look up the level codes and skip on to see what the rest of the game was like (the same!).