Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Captain Marvel & the Carol Corps, #1

Taking to the skies of Battleworld, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Kelly Thompson and David Lopez introduce Carol Danvers and the Banshee Squadron in "Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps" #1.

Full review here.

It's interesting the reviewer associates the tension to Cold War and religious themes of the 1960's to Battleworld, with the rig worn by Carol being dated, the adventure of the unknown of outer space, and the blind obedience neccesary under Doom leading to blasphemy if questioned, also invoking Soviet style obedience or else the Gulag (read the wall). You do notice the life of living on the edge when inhabitants of Battleworld play with fire as Doom holds reality together which nobody appreciates. Carol sees things in black and white. She dislikes the lies, and begins a process that starts to undermine Dooms integrity, by questioning his version of the truth. This is the same Doom who, under Bendis, described Carol in terms of " Shut your fat cow mouth", so these two have a history together of confrontation.

Self-Loathing Bendis Fan

I enjoyed it. Kelly & Kelly are good at this.

That being said, I realize this is the result of affirmative action lobbying and they're making a point with the lack of males -- I get it and applaud it -- but does *everyone* have to be female?

Two wrongs don't make a right, just saying. =) Give me some people to relate to, not necessarily the stars of the show... and I'll keep reading. In fact, using an "everyman" male character as an avatar for male readers invading this all-female world could be one way to do it. Like a Rick Jones type, but less annoying. =)
    Last edited by _underscore; 06-11-2015 at 02:42 PM.

All-New Member

I said this to Kelly Sue on Twitter, but my favorite thing about the issue was the Jet-Age font they used for both the title page and the preview. It just fit the book perfectly.

I have to hand it to Marvel. I haven't read all of the tie-ins, but of the ones I've read, there hasn't been a stinker among them.

I'm betting Carol's desire to see "what's beyond the sky" is going to play into the larger meta-plot.

I'm okay with the female group dynamic, because it's a different dynamic to the one where you introduce males. Women friend circles drop a lot of barriers they keep up when men are around, and I see the difference in Carol, because she's a lot different in the Avengers 616. This is a comfort zone for this Carol, and puts it in a World War 2 setting where women were expected to take on male roles. Men were around, but the women tended to establish their own heirachy, and methods, and encouraged to be proactive, and own their job with enterprise and initiative. The real world discourages that, so to see these women thrive as heroes of the story is a great role model.

Quote Originally Posted by starri View Post
    I said this to Kelly Sue on Twitter, but my favorite thing about the issue was the Jet-Age font they used for both the title page and the preview. It just fit the book perfectly.

I have to hand it to Marvel. I haven't read all of the tie-ins, but of the ones I've read, there hasn't been a stinker among them.

I'm betting Carol's desire to see "what's beyond the sky" is going to play into the larger meta-plot.
    How many tie-ins are you getting, just a few or a lot?

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

It was a decent, but slightly uneven, debut that's already better than any issue of the most recent volume of Captain Marvel. Some fun moments and sequences mixed with a little intrigue work well, but some sloppy storytelling that seemingly could have been fixed by a better editor distract at times (like the intro to Bee, who doesn't get a text box explaining who she is like the other ladies did, and Cap's swapping "sir" and "maam" back in forth 4 times in a single page while addressing the same person).

"Two wrongs don't make a right, just saying. =) Give me some people to relate to, not necessarily the stars of the show... and I'll keep reading. In fact, using an "everyman" male character as an avatar for male readers invading this all-female world could be one way to do it. "

This has been part of my issue, too. There's a concerted effort to denigrate anything predominantly male in the industry, whether it's writers, teams, etc. and while I understand the push for more diversity and welcome it, the fact that there are no male only teams (nor am I saying there SHOULD be) and yet we praise numerous girls members only books (this one, A-Force, X-Men, etc.) as amazing it smacks of a bit of hypocrisy and also further segregates rather than integrates, the latter of which should be the goal to do.

Baraka The Wakandan

This was the first SW mini I actually didn't care for. I'm a BIG fan of Carol's but not of KSD's writing style (sorry, I just can't get with it). All the minis have been entertaining thus far, this one just didn't do it for me....

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    How many tie-ins are you getting, just a few or a lot?
    Thus far, Spider Verse, Inferno, A-Force, Inhumans: Attilan Rising, 1602 Witch Hunter Angela, and will at least end up with Guardians of Knowhere.

I thought this was going to be a pulpy tie-in, you know set in the 60s and all the associated tropes that fits in.

But turns out it has substantial world-building intrigue. Like surprisingly a lot. It reveals the cracks of Battleworld, and that its people don't have all the same information (the bit about 'stars in the sky' for example). If it weren't for that being the actual story, I would have passed on continuing to follow this series. As it is, it's now one of the most relevant tie-ins for me because I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by starri View Post
    Thus far, Spider Verse, Inferno, A-Force, Inhumans: Attilan Rising, 1602 Witch Hunter Angela, and will at least end up with Guardians of Knowhere.
    Yeah those aren't bad. Inferno seems less involved in Battleworld, but is a good premise for the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles J. Baserap View Post
    It was a decent, but slightly uneven, debut that's already better than any issue of the most recent volume of Captain Marvel. Some fun moments and sequences mixed with a little intrigue work well, but some sloppy storytelling that seemingly could have been fixed by a better editor distract at times (like the intro to Bee, who doesn't get a text box explaining who she is like the other ladies did, and Cap's swapping "sir" and "maam" back in forth 4 times in a single page while addressing the same person).

"Two wrongs don't make a right, just saying. =) Give me some people to relate to, not necessarily the stars of the show... and I'll keep reading. In fact, using an "everyman" male character as an avatar for male readers invading this all-female world could be one way to do it. "

This has been part of my issue, too. There's a concerted effort to denigrate anything predominantly male in the industry, whether it's writers, teams, etc. and while I understand the push for more diversity and welcome it, the fact that there are no male only teams (nor am I saying there SHOULD be) and yet we praise numerous girls members only books (this one, A-Force, X-Men, etc.) as amazing it smacks of a bit of hypocrisy and also further segregates rather than integrates, the latter of which should be the goal to do.
    I went through concerns of elitism in female stories, but now I've calmed down and just want to enjoy the diversity that a female oriented dynamic brings. I've liked this books approach, 1602 Angela, and Marvel Zombies for that reason. I put away the competitiveness and just see it for what it is. I was surprised that this week had 3 top quality female leads in books.

And for another dark horse, for all we know, Where Monsters Dwell could end up that Clemmie Cox is the lead, instead of the red herring Karl Kaufman that starts off the book. She seems way smarter than Karl at this point.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-14-2015 at 03:58 AM.

I just read this story and liked it quite a bit. I really want to know what is on the other side of the sky .... Knowhere?

Is Carol the only person with powers here?

Yes she is, until some Thors show up.