Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos, #1

"Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos" #1 is a complete misnomer of a title, as writer Gerry Duggan, artist Salva Espin and Deadpool himself demonstrate to readers in this "Secret Wars" spinoff.

Full review here.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

A good start, I got the Adam Warren cover which was sweet, but I don't get is why Drac wants Shiklah dead cause he won't get her goods since they are not married yet. I guess Frank is the only one that can understand Man-Thing. Looks like Jack will take up Wades role between duty and morality in this adventure. Shiklah's Laura Croft get up is great hope its sticks around in the near future. Not too fond of Wade being the narrator of the story but meh its a Deadpool spin-off so I'll just have to accepted and move on.

BANNED

This first issue was good fun, in the expected Duggan Deadpool style. Nothing earthshaking but a solid read with some laugh out loud moments. I actually liked that DP was narrating the issue. One, his dialogue was hilarious and two, I appreciate that there's no absolutely pretense that he's going to stay dead for long.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I haven't read it yet, it's in my "too read pile" still but hoping for some fun and....Man-Thing!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

He actually is supposed to be Marcus the Centaur. At least, that's what he was called in Deadpool: The Gauntlet. Calling him a Minotaur in this issue must have been a mistake. They seem to have ignored that he's a werewolf too (probably because Jack Russell is on the team).

Quote Originally Posted by davewire View Post
    He actually is supposed to be Marcus the Centaur. At least, that's what he was called in Deadpool: The Gauntlet. Calling him a Minotaur in this issue must have been a mistake. They seem to have ignored that he's a werewolf too (probably because Jack Russell is on the team).
    I'm sure it was a mistake and I'm guessing he hasn't been turned yet and just made his suit look like a wolf as tribute to the team name. Maybe Jack will have to turn him if he loses his insulin shots(shrug).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I haven't read it yet, it's in my "too read pile" still but hoping for some fun and....Man-Thing!!
    I find it funny that Manny is quite short here, he's shorter than Frank. I'm guessing is an in-joke after all those "Giant-Size" jokes from fans.

I was really happy with Wade being the narrator. It is the Deadpool replacement book after all. Nice to have him around still. I'm sure the focus will remain on Shiklah throughout the story though.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I found the issue to be less than stellar. A middling first issue I'd say but holding out hope for some character developments in the following issues.
    I'm not sure I was aware Marvel even had their own version of the Invisible Man.

Jack was handled pretty well but the others have room for improvement.
    Man-Thing wasn't portrayed as speaking like he was in the Thunderbolts run from a few years back despite Frankenstein implying such. As noted...why was Man-Thing drawn so small? He's a tall character in the 7' range, here he looked about 5'10"--squatty Man-Thing.
    I have no experience with Marcus and this symbiotic Minataur, that'll require a wiki by me later.
    N'Kantu was bandaged wrapped a bit more than I'd expect but I'll chalk that up to artist interpretation.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

A fun read, and a sort of sequel to Deadpool: The Gauntlet. Guessing some other things went differently here aside from Deadpool's death with Jack still being on Drac's side. Good laughs and good use of dead Deadpool.

I greatly enjoyed it. It made me laugh, Shiklah holds her own very well, and we've established a nice hero's quest sure to be full of unexpected twists. Espin's art is a little inconsistent, but expressive as always.

In the court of Dracula, there seems to be little room for dissension, or rivalry. The whole bent of this story, is towards gutter humor about Man-Thing in particular. But, yes, there is a quest involved here and why it's called Mrs D and HC seems misleading, as it looks like the wicked witch (Dracula) is sending poor Snow White (Shiklah), into the forest with the Woodcutter (the Howling Commandoes) to cut out her heart, so he can make soup out of it.

I don't know who the good guy is in this. In Limbo you knew the X-Men were good, but with a choice between Dracula and a Demon, it's hard to pick. I suppose Shiklah hasn't killed anybody yet, so she is the front runner for the moment. Funny how easily you can pick Arkon in Weirdworld as the good guy, and he kills virtually everything he comes across. Is it sexist that Shiklah is not the hero of her story, and Arkon is?
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-13-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    In the court of Dracula, there seems to be little room for dissension, or rivalry. The whole bent of this story, is towards gutter humor about Man-Thing in particular. But, yes, there is a quest involved here and why it's called Mrs D and HC seems misleading, as it looks like the wicked witch (Dracula) is sending poor Snow White (Shiklah), into the forest with the Woodcutter (the Howling Commandoes) to cut out her heart, so he can make soup out of it.

I don't know who the good guy is in this. In Limbo you knew the X-Men were good, but with a choice between Dracula and a Demon, it's hard to pick. I suppose Shiklah hasn't killed anybody yet, so she is the front runner for the moment. Funny how easily you can pick Arkon in Weirdworld as the good guy, and he kills virtually everything he comes across. Is it sexist that Shiklah is not the hero of her story, and Arkon is?
    I wouldn't say it's sexist of you to think that, just misguided. Shiklah is clearly the hero of this story, trying to determine a way out of relationship with Dracula or a means to destroy him.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

I'd say Shiklah's definitely the hero, while there were some signs that she might go full evil at the end of the Deadpool run for the most part she was content just to run her kingdom. Compared to Drac she's a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I wouldn't say it's sexist of you to think that, just misguided. Shiklah is clearly the hero of this story, trying to determine a way out of relationship with Dracula or a means to destroy him.
    Well, we are certainly supposed to be sympathetic to Shiklah from that perspective, being the victim of an assassination, if the Howling Commandoes attempt to carry out their mission.