Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    What tons of things?
    Dinosaurs, millions of Hulks, Thors flying everywhere, upside down worlds in pools, 17th Century people walking around, no sun or stars. Things like that. Battleworld does feel a bit like a fledgling comic company just throwing in whatever story they want without thinking they are in the same universe. Magnus Robot fighter in 4000ad, Phantom, Red Sonja, the Lone Ranger, all in the same world.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-12-2015 at 10:44 PM.

If Rage of Ultron is supposedly a glimpse into the post-Secret Wars word, plus what we've seen in ANAD Avengers...the world seems to function relatively the same. Marvel says there will be new areas and stuff, but it definitely seems like they'd be focusing on having one 'copy' of each city or something. The only clue of something being different, could maybe be when Vision says something about his solar batteries not recharging as swiftly as before, which either just points out a difference in him, or that the sun of the new world isn't exactly the same for some reason.

Even off Earth, apparently Titan functions just fine, going by what we see in RoU with Eros and the Mentor (before Ultron effs it up of course).

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    No the point it is marketing and it is obvious.
    Maybe I'm to negative but there is something that screams in me:
    LOL. Guess the real world need a good reboot...

All-New Member

I don't know how anyone can follow what is going on. For example: Which Captain Marvel is the 616 version? Is it the one in A-Force, the one in Carol Corps or another different one entirely? And with some of those characters, how do we know which one we're reading about post SW? Some characters will be obvious like Spider-Gwen, Old Man Logan and Chrissie Pryde (Why isn't she Rasputin?), but others like Hulk could be from anywhere. Is this going to be something where 5 years from now you find out you've been reading about 1610 Hulk the whole time when 616 Hulk shows up calls him out?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pebakolbe View Post
    I don't know how anyone can follow what is going on. For example: Which Captain Marvel is the 616 version? Is it the one in A-Force, the one in Carol Corps or another different one entirely? And with some of those characters, how do we know which one we're reading about post SW? Some characters will be obvious like Spider-Gwen, Old Man Logan and Chrissie Pryde (Why isn't she Rasputin?), but others like Hulk could be from anywhere. Is this going to be something where 5 years from now you find out you've been reading about 1610 Hulk the whole time when 616 Hulk shows up calls him out?
    Secret Wars # 3 clearly showed that 616 Carol Danvers is among the 616 characters 616 Dr. Strange and 1610 Miles Borales, greet when they emerge from their life-raft.
    I hope that the Carol Danvers from the domain Arcadia who appears in A-Force will replace the 616 Carol on the new mainstream marvel earth post Secret Wars. Also hoping that the Carol Danvers from the domain Hala Field who appears in Carol Corpse will be killed during Secret Wars.

To me, it will be very interesting to find out which counterpart from a 616 character comes from what domain of Battleworld and how he/she will handle living on on the new mainstream marvel earth post SW.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    Isn't part of the whole point of doing this event to make a universe that is NOT the mess it has become? Post-SW will be much less convoluted I expect
    This assumes a reboot. According to Marvel this is going to be no more a reboot than 616 was when Scarlet Witch destroyed the world and recreated it in House of M before changing it back (with the tweak of there being no more mutants). If we get something similar (and no retroactive changes) there won't be a reboot. As for the point? To tell good stories that makes Marvel a lot of money. That's the point.
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

I think they are going to ditch continuity altogether and stories will be like self-contained mini-series. They have made a break with past continuity, and with all the time travel and alternate versions of characters running around it will be easy to ignore everybody's past, handpicking only what each writer likes best. Secret Wars will be like the universal alibi to do whatever they want "Secret Wars did it!".

I think that means they will have to keep the characters and backgrounds simple, because it would be hell to keep track of what we are supposed to know about the character and what is no longer true. Tony Stark, for example, is a scientist millonaire who developed his armor to escape from a generic terrorist group/rogue state/dictatorship and had a problem with drinking and that's all you will know at the beginning of the story. The writer will develop from there, making him a design weapon baby or a changeling or an alternate dimension interloper or whatever, and at the end of the storyline it resets to the base character again so the next writer can create his own Tony Stark.
    Last edited by Habis; 06-13-2015 at 04:02 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Secret Wars # 3 clearly showed that 616 Carol Danvers is among the 616 characters 616 Dr. Strange and 1610 Miles Borales, greet when they emerge from their life-raft.
    I hope that the Carol Danvers from the domain Arcadia who appears in A-Force will replace the 616 Carol on the new mainstream marvel earth post Secret Wars. Also hoping that the Carol Danvers from the domain Hala Field who appears in Carol Corpse will be killed during Secret Wars.

To me, it will be very interesting to find out which counterpart from a 616 character comes from what domain of Battleworld and how he/she will handle living on on the new mainstream marvel earth post SW.
    Please don't be condescending, I knew there was another version of Carol I was forgetting about (it was the one in SW#3), but I used her as a (bad) example because there were so many versions of her, it SEEMED like she showed up in every book. It doesn't change the fact that there are multiple versions of most characters with no explanation as to which version they are. I also said some characters will be obvious where they're from, Miles Morales being one of them. I didn't list him as an example. And you say it's interesting which character survives, especially in Carol's case. Assuming you're not being sarcastic, what makes A-Force Carol more appealing to you than 616 Carol or Hala Field Carol? I'm kinda partial to the Hala Field Carol because she's questioning the "star in the sky" comment and realizes something isn't right. Also, Why didn't Storm comment on the fact that she was basically face to face with her Thor Corps self?

BANNED

Please don't be condescending, I knew there was another version of Carol I was forgetting about (it was the one in SW#3), but I used her as a (bad) example because there were so many versions of her, it SEEMED like she showed up in every book. It doesn't change the fact that there are multiple versions of most characters with no explanation as to which version they are. I also said some characters will be obvious where they're from, Miles Morales being one of them. I didn't list him as an example. And you say it's interesting which character survives, especially in Carol's case. Assuming you're not being sarcastic, what makes A-Force Carol more appealing to you than 616 Carol or Hala Field Carol? I'm kinda partial to the Hala Field Carol because she's questioning the "star in the sky" comment and realizes something isn't right. Also, Why didn't Storm comment on the fact that she was basically face to face with her Thor Corps self?
    I figure it out by viewing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret..._comic_book%29

Yes, because to me it is so exciting to find out post Secret Wars at what point a counterpart of a 616 character's history diverges from the 616 character. Old Man Logan is a great example. 616 Wolverine had been around since 1974. Is OML's history from let's say the period 1974-1990 the same as 616 Wolverine's?

To me, these past 11 years the custodians of the 616 marvel characters have done a godawful job with them. 616 Carol is no exception. I am trusting my gut feeling that Hala Field Carol is also no better.
    I go for A-Force Carol although I do not like the Jamie McKelvie design because she is NOT the de facto leader of an Avengers unit when it comes to lady 'vengers. 616 She-Hulk has been largely ignored by marvel comics so to see her counterpart from the domain Arcadia be a leader is to me very, very likable.

I also hope that the Carol Danvers from the domain The Warzone will be killed during Secret Wars.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 06-14-2015 at 02:00 AM.

Boisterously Confused

To the OP's question: I refer you to everything that happened at DC from about 2 months after CoIE right up until today. So, yup.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I figure it out by viewing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret..._comic_book%29

Is OML's history from let's say the period 1974-1990 the same as 616 Wolverine's?
    I would say no because OML's universe was designated as Earth-807128. Although there is a possibility something happens during SW and the surviving characters gain the other version's memories. We still have 22 books coming out, I'd like to see a Binary Carol in there and have her survive. It would be nice to wipe the "Raped Carol" (Avengers #200) story out of continuity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Dinosaurs, millions of Hulks, Thors flying everywhere, upside down worlds in pools, 17th Century people walking around, no sun or stars. Things like that. Battleworld does feel a bit like a fledgling comic company just throwing in whatever story they want without thinking they are in the same universe. Magnus Robot fighter in 4000ad, Phantom, Red Sonja, the Lone Ranger, all in the same world.
    The regular Marvel U had dinosaurs. Not as patchwork as Battleworld, of course, but there were some diverse genres.

In either case, I thought we meant the post-SW Earth.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Maybe there should be a master thread where people post their concerns about the problems an event will pose in the aftermath, and the stock answer will always be "the characters will mostly go on like nothing ever happened."
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Maybe there should be a single, dedicated thread for fans who constantly worry about the future. "What if _______ isn't good?" "What if _______ is confusing?" "What if __________ is a failure?" "What if something that hasn't happened yet will be terrible?"

I think it's better to just wait and read the books when they come out.
    Looking over the threads on the forums, there is a LOT (like... a lot) of room for combining threads if that's a concern. But if anything should be allowed space to have multiple discussions, I think "what will happen in the future of the fiction" is a very worthwhile topic. I mean, what the hell else are we here to talk about if not the narrative future of comic books??

Part of the problem is events, and even entire runs, are so focused on teasing future possibilities and getting us to argue about what will happen.
    Precisely. See, you do know what's up.

I don't find that as interesting as discussing what did happen,
    Discussing what did happen and what will happen are certainly of equal validity.

but I think fans love arguments about things that haven't happened yet and mysteries that will be revealed a few months down the line.
    See what you just wrote about though, these things are done specifically to make us insecure about the future so that we chat about it and blog about it and read interviews about it and blah blah blah. So, you can't really blame people for doing what they're being prodded to do, right?

=============

But yea, in my opinion, depending on some of the rumors being batted about, the Marvel Universe post SW could be a complete fuster cluck.
    Last edited by JoeWithoutFear; 06-13-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

I would say no because OML's universe was designated as Earth-807128. Although there is a possibility something happens during SW and the surviving characters gain the other version's memories. We still have 22 books coming out, I'd like to see a Binary Carol in there and have her survive. It would be nice to wipe the "Raped Carol" (Avengers #200) story out of continuity.
    I think we have tons of plot we would wanted to wipe from history I don't think Marvel will do that or better said they would wipe away other stuff that should stay.
    What me comes to my mind is certainly the slaughter of the grey family, M-day, OMD ,Bishop's Genocide but basically you would need to reboot the 616 on the status it was 2003/2004 otherwise you would end with Switzer cheese. They could also simple forge of a new series from this like UU but with a different direction.

Besides that what is OML?

Edit: Maybe I should draw it a bit out what I mean by new Universewhich replace the UU which replaced the MC2 ....)

Spider-man: Peter Parker it retired as Spider-man and life with his wife and his daughter somewhere in hiding. The new spider is Scarlet-Spider a.k Ben Reilly.(He was better than many shouted the problem was they wanted their Spider-Man back and he was more like the cartoon version around this time than the actually Spider-man, means very inventive)

FF: Franklin's counter earth went back at the end of the Abraxas story to its dimension.(and crazy Dr.Doom who kidnapped Franklin to hell didn't happened). Maybe the FF should focus more about what it mean when Franklin must take responsibility for his action instead instead of this don't use your power mantra.

X-men: The X-Men moved the Greys to a secure location and Jean Grey-Summer/Phoenix is pregnant. Genosha and the resulting new mutants around the world didn't happened( at least yet). I think I would write them something between the normal X-Men and the Clament's X-treme.

Avengers: I'm not sure what to do with them , we could Carols story about Marcus put away but what else? We could restart the romance between Hank Pym and Wasp but still not enough to make a different....hm we could grow out of them a organisation which has jurisdiction about all superhero problems more or less independent from the government.

Bishop didn't happen, CW, M-Day, AvX , AoU nothing of this

Okay that is more or less Marvel on steroids.
    Last edited by TakoM; 06-13-2015 at 01:13 PM.

BANNED

A designation for an Earth does not mean that a counterpart does not have a history to a certain point that is the same as his/her 616 counterpart. So OML's could possibly have the same history as 616 Wolverine when Chris Claremont guided his comicbook life from 1975-1990, and after that the histories of OML and 616 Wolverine are different.
    BINARY Carol? YES! YES! YES! Oh man, I have to find out if there is a domain on Battleworld that has a BINARY Carol. If there is than I'll take that Carol over the one from the domain Arcadia, any time.

It is very easy to accomplish this ; kill 616 Carol Danvers during Secret Wars and let a counterpart of her live on post SW on the new mainstream marvel earth.