Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Default Why have DC stopped doing gloss covers?

One of the reasons I wasn't too bothered by the many price increases were the fact I quite like the gloss covers that DC put out on them. Last week JL was the only 3.99+ book I bought and that had a gloss cover but this week I picked up GL, Batman, HQ, Tec and Coffin Hill all 3.99 sadly no gloss cover. Anyone know why DC stopped them specifically? It's not a big deal I know just curious is all.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

$$$$$$$$$?

Think of it as the next step to a price increase.

Within 1-2 years, we will see $4.99 titles, however these will be released with more pages and glossy covers (similar to how $3.99 titles like Batman and Justice League were initially released). Then after some time, the extra pages will be gone but the glossy covers remain. Then after some more time the glossy covers will be gone. Then $5.99 titles will be released with extra pages and glossy covers.

And so on and so forth.

Marvel does the same without the glossy covers. Look at the increasing number of titles that are $4.99 with more pages. This is to condition the market to accept the $4.99 price point.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

That actually makes a lot of sense, JL was 4.99 and had a gloss cover. I guess anything that is 4.99+ will have a gloss cover, aswell as extra pages, now. Sigh. At least DC's paper quality is still superior to MARVEL imo, for the time being at least.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    That actually makes a lot of sense, JL was 4.99 and had a gloss cover. I guess anything that is 4.99+ will have a gloss cover, aswell as extra pages, now. Sigh. At least DC's paper quality is still superior to MARVEL imo, for the time being at least.
    And don't forget that the higher price / more pages on that Justice League issue was for one specific issue . . . they aren't going to stay at $4.99 for the foreseeable future. With issues #42 and #43, the price goes back down to $3.99 and the page count also drops back down.