Dear Forum,

I will start with a confession. I am not big into comic books. I know! I know! Don't hate me! Many here may proudly call themselves Comic Book Geeks. I probably don't come anywhere near having the necessary knowledge and understanding to don such a title. And I sincerely and humbly hope that this community will forgive me for that.

That being said, my whole life I have always had a real soft spot for Superman. It likely started with watching him lead the Justice League in Saturday morning cartoons, but really blossomed growing up watching the wonderful Christopher Reeve (R.I.P.) brilliantly portray the dual role of the powerful Kal-el from planet Krypton and his humble, meek counterpart Clark Kent the newspaper reporter. I could go on further about my obsession with Superman, but that could take a while. Hell, I'm typing this in my Superman pajamas for crying out loud. That's really all you need to know. I confess, however, that I have always only been a casual reader of the comics and hadn't picked up any issue of the New 52 since a few months into its launch.

Recently, my girlfriend surprised me by buying me a subscription to Action Comics Superman. She remembered me telling her that that title was (originally) the original Superman storyline. The first issue arrived yesterday. Action Comics #41 of the New 52. i just finished reading it and well...I'm in total shock. Apparently the whole world knows that reporter Clark Kent (now unemployed???) is Superman!?! How can this be? Why would they do this?

In my mind, this completely undermines a key (not to mention iconic) element of the character. It almost seems like a cop-out on the part of the writers, as if it's just easier to assume what people have been saying for years; that it's just impossible for this guy to disguise himself with glasses and not be recognized, etc. so just forget it. Kill the idea. It worked for 75 years, but meh. Whatevs. I'm having trouble accepting that.

I need help understanding this and I'm hoping you, as the comic book reading community, can help me.

Thanks.

-WheresMySuperman?