Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Question Common misconceptions of characters you like

What do you think people (writers/readers/random people) commonly get wrong about your favorite characters or those you know best?

That Dick is still in the Bat's shadow, he has been his own man since the 80s.

Also that Donna's origin is confusing, yeah it's changed a lot but it's not hard to understand.
    Last edited by byrd156; 06-12-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Everyone who doesnt read comics thinks Aquaman is a joke. It makes me furious.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    Also when people make fun of Aqualad too, it bothers me.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    The funny thing is I don't recall Aquaman getting any grief when I was a kid during the '70s. It's only fairly recently that he has been turned into a joke due to out-of-context Super Friends references.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Hawkman is a one-dimensional barbarian who just hits things with a mace. There's a lot more depth to the character than that, but Johns's now-infamous "Conan with Wings" line is often cited as a slogan when people talk about the character. And the "space cop" moniker that people tend to throw around when singling out the Thanagarian interpretation I despise even more so. Very deceptive and completely wrong.

I also resent that many longtime readers act as if Hawkman's complex publication history is somehow a necessary barrier to enjoying the character today. That's simply not true of any character in my experience, including Hawkman.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Hmmm, let's see:

- I hate when people act like Wally never ceased to be Kid Flash. Kind of a tough thing since right now that's pretty much the editorial position right now.

- I hate when people treat Wildstorm was if it was nothing but pouches and bloodshed. Wildstorm, in t's stand alone days, was not ealry-90's Image; it was home to some of the best written and drawn, most interesting and intelligent super-hero comics of the last decade. There's a "Wildcats" volume out there that's better than anything New 52 has put out; yet people act like WS is formed by variations of ccable and Deadpool. But those comments only come from people who never read a WS comic in it's good days, so whatever.

- I really, really hate when people treat as "normal" that period when Cass Cain and Nightwing were fighting on even terms every month for about six months. It's not. Cass would curb-stomp him. She'd curb-stomp Batman if needed. O that note, any defense of whatever Adam Beechen did with the character is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The funny thing is I don't recall Aquaman getting any grief when I was a kid during the '70s. It's only fairly recently that he has been turned into a joke due to out-of-context Super Friends references.
    That's true. Around here in Brazil it actually created a weird thing; since "Aquaman jokes" are not as widespread as in the Us (we don't get your talk shows, SNL and stuff like that, at least not in the same intensity), those jokes pretty much fly over the head or don't reach "civilians"; the trend of treating Aquaman as a joke only really reaches comics readers, who should know better in the first place.

Always Rakzo

I detest when writers portray Oliver Queen as Batman-lite, an everyman or a preachy douchebag.

Wrong character.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I detest when writers portray Oliver Queen as Batman-lite, an everyman or a preachy douchebag.

Wrong character.
    Out of curiosity, which is your favorite portrayal?

(Because you just described about 90% of what I've read with Ollie).

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Out of curiosity, which is your favorite portrayal?

(Because you just described about 90% of what I've read with Ollie).
    My favorite portrayal of Oliver Queen is in Green Arrow Vol. 3 (just after Kevin Smith stopped dwelling into the insufferable O'Neil/Adams' version). The emotional, flawed and intensily human version is certainly the one that resonates the most for me.

BANNED

That Nightwing has to have been the leader of a Teen Titans group to be an interesting solo crime-fighter.

That Superman has to have his underwear on the outside to be Superman.

That Wonder Woman has to have been formed from clay to be Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I hate when writers do the following, and when fans follow their lead:

- Batman being a one dimensional, abusive asshole.
    - Batman is a great character. Bat-God is awful.
    - Aquaman being treated like a joke.
    - Hal Jordan is the "most boring Green Lantern."
    - Barbara Gordon is only considered a good character as Oracle.
    - The Cheetah is a one-note animal savage, a threat even non-powered characters can take out, or some combination of the two.
    - Two-Face is just a crazy guy obsessed with the number two.
    - Dick Grayson isn't as good a detective as Tim Drake, who is Batman's one true heir or some such nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    That Nightwing has to have been the leader of a Teen Titans group to be an interesting solo crime-fighter.

That Superman has to have his underwear on the outside to be Superman.

That Wonder Woman has to have been formed from clay to be Wonder Woman.
    These seem less like misconceptions and more just personal preferences. "Aquaman is a joke" or "Superman has no weaknesses" is more in line with a misconception.

double post.