Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The sneak peek is likely yet to "occur". This is set prior to that most likely.
    That did occur to me and but then again they could have done the sneak peak for huh omg shock value to get people reading. Guess we'll see.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Luckily I just read this in the shop and didn't drop 4 bucks on it. I hated this. Biiiiig waste of Mahnke artwork.

Nothing in this issue gives me any insight into why Clark and Diana are so into each other, in fact they don't really come off as lovers. I found this to be pretty abysmal. Clark doesn't even own the farm anymore, why would they come for it? Just cheap shock value. There could have been a much more interesting "assault on Smallville".

Not to mention it fell prey to one of my biggest pet peeves- Smallville people coming off as this idyllic "Well you Superman so 'course we like ya!" As if small town America is like that, or has ever been like that. The Kents were good people, that doesn't mean everyone there is. I'm certain Clark would get "You're a weird alien!" way more there than in Manhattan/Metropolis.

Nice seeing Lana, I guess, unless they're planning on killing her off.

I'll stick to SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-17-2015 at 01:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Apart from the cool fist bump moment, Diana and Lana's interaction was sparse and nothing to write home about in Doomed, that started well and got bloated as it wore on. Doomed does not support Diana knows everything about Lana either. She might know it's a friend of Clark's but not all the details. Lana did not hook up with John Henry during Doomed and Diana does not have to know that either. Tomasi is probably just doing the intro for the fans who did not follow Doomed and new fans jumping onto Truth as well which makes sense for DCYOU. Where is Docha? Heh, we got the engineer bit.

I also like the little details of Diana saying how Jor-El and grandfather would have gotten along and Diana acknowledging how happy Clark seemed to be in Smallville and how important Lana is to him. But Clark is not a boy hiding his powers and wrestling with mastering abilities...he's a man now, with huge changes and responsibilities. Life can never stay simple. I am sure part of Diana empathizes seeing she would have had her simplier life when she was in Themyscira before she became WW and GOW and Queen etc. I want Tomasi to have a better meet for the ladies. Clark's real first girlfriend and rock and now Diana his possible second significant relationship and who is his rock now. Big Red and Diana I think would get along well. This is the most vulnerable Clark has been since his parents died and its really dark as Marvelmaster pointed out what is going on. The wise men were a fun. They knew she was Wonder Woman.
    They're very similar, but I found it noteworthy that Lana had to follow him in order to discover his shelter while Wonder Woman was freely invited.
    Last edited by Lax; 06-17-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    They're very similar, but I found it noteworthy that Lana had to follow him in order to discover his shelter while Wonder Woman was freely invited.
    Back then he was a child. Now he is a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Huh? I don't see the significance, especially if one pays attention to context. Diana was freely invited because Clark is at a point in his life when he's okay with his powers. From what he told Diana, it was because Lana cared about him and reacted so well to his powers that he was able to develop the more open outlook that Diana is essentially benefiting from now.

One day Lana followed me--discovered the shelter--forced me to come out and play. Forced me to just be me. Hearing from someone my own age instead of my parents for the first time that it was okay to be different kinda made all the difference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Luckily I just read this in the shop and didn't drop 4 bucks on it. I hated this. Biiiiig waste of Mahnke artwork.

Nothing in this issue gives me any insight into why Clark and Diana are so into each other, in fact they don't really come off as lovers. I found this to be pretty abysmal. Clark doesn't even own the farm anymore, why would they come for it? Just cheap shock value. There could have been a much more interesting "assault on Smallville".

Not to mention it fell prey to one of my biggest pet peeves- Smallville people coming off as this idyllic "Well you Superman so 'course we like ya!" As if small town America is like that, or has ever been like that. The Kents were good people, that doesn't mean everyone there is. I'm certain Clark would get "You're a weird alien!" way more there than in Manhattan/Metropolis.

A man and a woman are lying in bed together with the woman wearing the man's shirt and they... don't come off as lovers.

They talked to two people in Smallville, I'm sure "small town America" is home to more than two good people.

Forgot the part where he sees her naked when she removes the shirt. Something lovers would be comfortable with, imo.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

To be fair, if you've been reading Action Comics so far you'll remember that Pak just got done putting a spotlight on Smallville just last arc. In that arc we saw Mr. Santiago, Mrs. Takahara, and the other older people gaining powers from the Phantom zone and helping/fighting Superman. In the end they came to a mutual respect (Takahara has known Clark since he was like 8 btw. She was his and Lana's teacher).

So to sum it up, Santiago, Takahara and the other two men Clark spoke to have already run the gambit of love hate with Superman. If they still have there powers then they are the guardians of Smallville. Their easiness with Clark is carried over from another story. They are far from the simple minded people you're making them out to be.

Tomosi is just reaping the benefits of Pak's wonderful arc in Smallville. I'd argue that if Smallville were shown to be this Xenophobic hotbed or less understanding then it would be back tracking from Pak's arc. We've seen the gray area with Smallville in regards to its people's views on Superman, and we've seen them come to a mutual respect and understanding.

Clark also still has a very real emotional link to the farm (also showcased in Pak's run). Farmer Fry likely lets him stay there when he wants (he my have been retconed).

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    To be fair, if you've been reading Action Comics so far you'll remember that Pak just got done putting a spotlight on Smallville just last arc. In that arc we saw Mr. Santiago, Mrs. Takahara, and the other older people gaining powers from the Phantom zone and helping/fighting Superman. In the end they came to a mutual respect (Takahara has known Clark since he was like 8 btw. She was his and Lana's teacher).

So to sum it up, Santiago, Takahara and the other two men Clark spoke to have already run the gambit of love hate with Superman. If they still have there powers then they are the guardians of Smallville. Their easiness with Clark is carried over from another story. They are far from the simple minded people you're making them out to be.

Tomosi is just reaping the benefits of Pak's wonderful arc in Smallville. I'd argue that if Smallville were shown to be this Xenophobic hotbed or less understanding then it would be back tracking from Pak's arc. We've seen the gray area with Smallville in regards to its people's views on Superman, and we've seen them come to a mutual respect and understanding.

Clark also still has a very real emotional link to the farm (also showcased in Pak's run). Farmer Fry likely lets him stay there when he wants (he my have been retconed).
    I'll take your word for it. I have those issues but didn't read them. I enjoy Pak's ACTION COMICS- it has a really nice energy to it, but it comes off as hamfisted to me, at times.

Nice to see they're at least using elements from other Superman titles here, though. Maybe this will get better? Tomasi was a lot of fun on BATMAN AND ROBIN.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-17-2015 at 02:58 PM.

I'll take your word for it. I have those issues but didn't read them. I enjoy Pak's ACTION COMICS but it comes off as hamfisted to me, at times.

Nice to see they're at least using elements from other Superman titles here, though. Maybe this will get better? Tomasi was a lot of fun on BATMAN AND ROBIN.
    Yeah no I understand that Pak may not be for everyone. Lots of writers are like that. But yeah I just wanted to make it clear that in this regard Tomasi was just following up on established continuity and using it to advance his story.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah no I understand that Pak may not be for everyone. Lots of writers are like that. But yeah I just wanted to make it clear that in this regard Tomasi was just following up on established continuity and using it to advance his story.
    No problem man, usually I agree with you on Superman related joints so maybe I'm missing something? I will say I did enjoy the latest issue of ACTION COMICS a lot more than anything that came before it in Pak's run. He seems to fit this new status quo exceedingly well. The cops coming to "burn Superman out" was a real bombastic and interesting moment.

I can also forgive a lot with ACTION COMICS because I'm a huge fan of Aaron Kuder.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-17-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I do agree with Superlad that the acceptance of Clark being Superman has probably more to do with Tomasi using established continuity. That, and the fact they know Clark since birth probably helps.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-17-2015 at 08:11 PM.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

All in all I think the book was ok. Nothing too great outside of the art. I put it roughly with Batman/Superman but minus the brand of voice capturing dialog that Pak has. Both are well below Action Comics and it's blistering start out of the gate.

But with that said I really liked the insight into Clark's life (bit of a re stating but still good). I really enjoyed proto-fortress in his granddad's bomb shelter. I liked Lana's presence in all of this. She was only seen once but felt all throughout this issue like a single vibrating tone.

I'm wishing they'd turned this into a super mystery sort of vibe to it. While there are mystery elements in this. It's only lip service. Hardly a hook. But then again that's not what it set out to be. But then the question becomes what does this book want to be in this Truth arc? We know what Action Comics wants to be about and what Batman wants to be about in both theme and how they go about it. This book is more shaky and unconfidant

Having them either fawn over each other or shake the mighty "will they break up" stick around is so over and done with. I hope they take this opportunity to breath more life into this book. Maybe ask harder questions than just this surface area stuff. Maybe make the adventure bigger or even smaller, but not this run of the mill middle ground stuff.

How does one truly take advantage of the stage set by Truth with this book? This is an ok start, but to what I don't really feel like I know (and not in an interesting way. See JLA for that IMO)

No problem man, usually I agree with you on Superman related joints so maybe I'm missing something? I will say I did enjoy the latest issue of ACTION COMICS a lot more than anything that came before it in Pak's run. He seems to fit this new status quo exceedingly well. The cops coming to "burn Superman out" was a real bombastic and interesting moment.

I can also forgive a lot with ACTION COMICS because I'm a huge fan of Aaron Kuder.
    Action Comics' start to Truth was just about perfect. Pak says he's been building to the point of writing this Superman from some time now. He says it's a very natural progression for him. I've since gone back to verify that, and I can actually confirm this in a few ways thematically.

Where Action really excels and this comic falls is in it's strong sense of self.

With the start of Truth in SM/WW I don't feel anything from it. I like a lot of the ideas in this book but it's only ever half cocked. I feel like they're throwing away the opportunity and platform that this book and this arc in particular gives them. It usually falls in at generic comic that features Superman and Wonder Woman in it.

Incredible Member

Man it feels good to have this book back again, and what a great issue to start back on. I loved the intimacy in this issue and a insight into how Clark grew up in Smallville. No action in the comic but I guess the next issue will make up for it which does concern me a bit but overall a solid great issue.