Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Suicide Squad #9 :Who's Who? **spoilers**

This issue was an engaging jumping on issue and new mission set-up! But instead of examining team member details, I have to first ask: What did Convergence end up doing to the DCU known canon? I bailed on the Event 2 issues in, planning to catch up when it was all over. Is the a decent annotation of what this latest gimmick, I mean Crisis, has done to mangle known meta backstories? Particular the people in this adventure:

Deadshot (who seemed spot on to classic interpretation)?

Boomerang?

Manta?

Harley Quinn (oh brother, is there going to be the same chronological mess with her own series that ruined her presence in Nu52)?

Reverse Flash? Reverse Flash?! Really?! What's his story in a sentence? Does it parallel the great TV show?

Parasite?

Also, it was a poignant scene when the 3 Squaddies killed those other 3 metas to join The League - but can somebody identify them?

A good issue that will be better with some clarifications.

Preview.
    Props.
    NSS-Cv9-ds-7a0e2.jpg

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I too wonder how Reverse-Flash, and even Parasite, are serving in Belle Reve. As for those 3 metas, I think they were just unnamed randoms?
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Always Rakzo

This was just as bad as some of the recent issues. Some of the dialogue was pretty blunt and the cliffhanger was weak.

Also, I detest this Deadshot, it seems like Ryan is taking Simone's portrayal (which was a more comedic one) to the extreme, he's a total buffoon. I think that the best he has been written on the New 52 is when Adam Glass was handling him, it was more influenced by Ostrander's version which was a much more serious one.

Did Conversion really have any effect on Suicide Squad (or really any other series besides the new Earth 2 book)?

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Did Conversion really have any effect on Suicide Squad (or really any other series besides the new Earth 2 book)?
    I didn't know we had a Conversion event.

Goddammit, why didn't anybody tell me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I didn't know we had a Conversion event.

Goddammit, why didn't anybody tell me?!
    I could have sworn I typed in "Convergence" . . . did some stupid auto-correct maybe kick in at some point?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah, just how are they even detaining/controlling Reverse Flash at all in this?

Extraordinary Member

Deadshot is acting to goofy and now he and boomer are pals?
    Making black manta the straightman?

ehh
    anyway Harley is proably going through her change from chaos to antivillain here after that last issue.
    If harley is not prominent in this arc with deadshot I will be upset.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I did not find this writing as bad as before and the art is really, good. I don't think convergence effected SS. But they will be getting a change up next arc, as they get a whole new team. I am looking forward to the new team.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I didn't read the early issues, but picked this up in anticipation of the new team of major villains. I'm giving it a story arc or two and hoping the team change is a game changer for the title. You'd have to be pretty confident to think you're going to control Parasite, Cheetah, Reverse Flash, etc. - let alone get them to work together.

In an espionage/counter intelligence sort of way I hope there's more afoot to these villains' agenda(s) post-Forever Evil. There's a lot to play up there story-wise, let alone their own vendettas against heroes or their own unhinged minds.

Manta still in it? I didn't get to know the New52 versions, so I will be happy to know if he is still around.

Still not liking the bald head though.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Extraordinary Member

the art is better since the movie coming is giving the book some exposure it should only get better form here

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Deadshot is acting to goofy and now he and boomer are pals?
    Making black manta the straightman?

ehh
    anyway Harley is proably going through her change from chaos to antivillain here after that last issue.
    If harley is not prominent in this arc with deadshot I will be upset.
    Yeah, stuff like that did have me questioning if Convergence changed history any before making fair comment on such dynamics.

Shocked this was actually a really good issue of Suicide Squad
    Not Isis seems to be a great group to throw the team at

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah, just how are they even detaining/controlling Reverse Flash at all in this?
    Was it ever answered how Daniel even got his powers back? I'm pretty sure he was still depowered in the main Flash book.