Default Marvel Zombies #1 Spoilers

The endless Zombie Hordes of the Deadlands. - Welcome to the Shield.

Spurrier does a wonderful job of world building, and intersperse it with history of the lovely, elegant, Elsa Bloodstone. She's an atypical English School-Master/Dominatrix, and suffers weakness in males very poorly. The book starts out with Elsa executing a whimpering Striker (from Avengers Academy) who just got bitten by a Zombie on the wall. No pity. Then she learns the leader of the pack this morning is a " Tomato skinned" Nightcrawler, who Bamfs his way along the Shield till, as Elsa is slitting his throat, he takes Elsa deep into the Deadlands and drops her in the desert and he escapes. She wakes up to the urging of an urchin to wake up, and there is fisticuffs with first a Zombie Doc Ock, then a Zombie Juggernaut, both of which she dispenses with a big gun, or, a beam from an amulet, she didn't think would do that.

They go south instead of to the Shield because it's suicide. The Urchin, who Elsa names "Shutup" because he will not stop talking and whining, suggests this course of action, and it takes Elsa a while to acknowledge the kid is probably right.

Loved this book, because of the wide landscapes from Walkers art, (it was nice for Kev Walker to revisit his Thunderbolts days again drawing Juggernaut, although in a more tragic state), and the harsh roughness of what it needs to survive in Spurriers Elsa Bloodstones character. The mystery boy is sort of an item for Elsa to bounce off of, so finding out his story when he is an amnesiac is going to be interesting, but it feels like the boy is a lure to get Elsa someplace, and in the guise of a helpless child, Elsa is drawn to his neediness. They begin the trek South, and a journey of discovery that nobody has ever done before. But we are going to see it.

It was certainly ladies week with 3 releases focussed on strong women, in Captain Marvel Corps, 1602 Angela, and now Zombies Elsa Bloodstone. They were all good alternate viewpoints from the typically male-dominated fair, usually seen. Well done everybody.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-12-2015 at 06:14 PM.

BANNED

Did zombie Storm show up?

Not that I noticed but maybe sharper eyes than mine could be more successful.

I did not notice her, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Loved this book, probably my favourite tie in so far and everything I thought it would be. Si's Elsa was as snarky as ever and getting a glimpse of her childhood, and drawing comparison's between her and 'Shut Up' was cool.

Loved Kev Walkers' art, as I usually do. His depictions of Doc Ock and Jugs were awesome.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Thanks for reviewing jackolover.

I really enjoyed this one too. I liked how Spurrier picked up on the characterisation of Elsa from Ellis's Nextwave: she remains clipped, and dry upper class English. He's reined back a bit on his trademark verbiosity, which works here. He's still funny though. (The cheap shot Wolverine joke was hilarious).

It was good to see her starting to interact with the child following the same toxic pattern her father set with her; then choosing to move away from it, and not be abusive.

I assumed the red skinned teleporting character was Azazel, but maybe not. (I'd rather Kurt, to be frank).

Art was good. Walker suits the theme nicely.
    "Self has no time for this."

All-New Member

I can't wait to read Guardians of Knowhere. Who is the child? It seems like he fell from the sky, the same as Angela in M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #1 and that night chick from A-Force #1. On another note, I'm glad in picked up this issue. I almost didn't. Out of all the remixes so far, my top five would be (in no particular order) Weirdworld, Old Man Logan, Infinity Gauntlet, Spider-Man: Renew your vows, and Marvel Zombies. With Inferno, M.O.D.O.K, A-Force, and Little AVX falling right behind.

I'm interested by the fact that the kid is (at least apparently) male, but the solicit states flat out that it's a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by BBlue View Post
    I can't wait to read Guardians of Knowhere. Who is the child? It seems like he fell from the sky, the same as Angela in M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #1 and that night chick from A-Force #1. On another note, I'm glad in picked up this issue. I almost didn't. Out of all the remixes so far, my top five would be (in no particular order) Weirdworld, Old Man Logan, Infinity Gauntlet, Spider-Man: Renew your vows, and Marvel Zombies. With Inferno, M.O.D.O.K, A-Force, and Little AVX falling right behind.

Your top 5 look great, as I've read 4 of them so far and still to read Weirdworld.

The kid could be a drop in. I never thought of that. Amnesia could be the clue, so we'll have to wait and see what Angela and Singularity say when they wake up, to see what memory they have too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Thanks for reviewing jackolover.

I really enjoyed this one too. I liked how Spurrier picked up on the characterisation of Elsa from Ellis's Nextwave: she remains clipped, and dry upper class English. He's reined back a bit on his trademark verbiosity, which works here. He's still funny though. (The cheap shot Wolverine joke was hilarious).

It was good to see her starting to interact with the child following the same toxic pattern her father set with her; then choosing to move away from it, and not be abusive.

I assumed the red skinned teleporting character was Azazel, but maybe not. (I'd rather Kurt, to be frank).

Art was good. Walker suits the theme nicely.
    Thanks Sea Hound. I thought Elsa did an about turn, also, towards the kid, but your way of saying it is better.

Elsa is a gem, and reminds me of the green haired commander of the Space station protecting Earth. Maria Hill would be good in this too, but I'm enjoying Elsa so much, because of her English nastiness. We so rarely get English sourced characters in American comics, so it's refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I'm interested by the fact that the kid is (at least apparently) male, but the solicit states flat out that it's a girl.
    It's been such a good slight of hand, it was achieved so well, no body has questioned the initial identity.

All-New Member

I wonder if the child is agent brand??

Fantastic Member

You know who I think the boy might be? A Cullen Bloodstone from another domain. Spurrirer has been a bit coy on tumblr as to whether or not Cullen is going to be in the book and it could fit into the theme of family going on in the book.

As for the book itself, it's great. This is some of the best art I've seen from Walker in a while (partially because, while I think he wasn't bad on New Avengers, I did think he wasn't the proper fit. Kind of wish Schitti had stayed on) and Spurrier has an amazing voice for Elsa. The Avengers Academy-fan in me was a bit disappointed at Striker's death, but least it was a mercy killing.