Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Default The Vampire That Hunts Her Own - Vampirella Appreciation!

I noticed we did not have one of these, so I thought I would make one for her! I am a huge fan of the current Vampirella series, and she has easily become a favorite of mine. I hope it is okay for me to make this, as I saw others here, like for Red Sonja, that made me think Vampi needs one haha. Sorry if I can't, please delete it if needed. Thanks!

History:

Vampi has been published by three main publishers, and has a mixed of origins as well. She also had a movie in 1996.

Starting in September 1969, Vampriella was a horror comic published by Warren Publishing. She was from the planet Drakulon, a world where a vampiric race lived on blood and where blood flowed in rivers. After some humans visited her dying planet, she discovered that they had blood in their veins. She took the ship they came on and flew to earth and crashed, this is where her adventure started. Her comic continued being published by Warren Publishing in till March 1983, giving her an amazing 112 issue run.

Later, in the 1990's, Harris Publishing bought the rights to Vampirella, after Warren went bankrupted. They published a lot of different comic titles for her with 2 main volumes. But it is here, her origin was first re-done. Becoming the daughter of Lilith and getting more of a supernatural background, and making it that her brother and sister brainwashed her into thinking her home planet was real. Later on in Vampirella Lives her origin was re-done again, making Drakulon real, put a place in hell.

Recently:

Recently, in 2010 Dynamite Comics acquired the rights to Vampirella from Harris Comics. And in November 2010 they started a new series which lasted awhile. In this series her origin was taken backseat making it something Vampi never truly understood and was lost in it. She fought demons, Dracula, and sometimes had to deal with time travel and outer space stories with aliens, however when the series ended it set up Vamprella for a relaunch of sorts, and for a great jumping on point.

In 2014 she got a brand new series, by Nancy Collins, this time dealing with a origin that was Supernatural, being the daughter of Lilith and fighting other Vampires and monsters. Her current series does seem vaguely linked to some of the past series, but only really plays off of stories and characters from the past. But it does so in a safe way, that retells things and works really well for newcomers. The series is currently about to be on issue 13, later this month.

Vampi is currently also in a big time cross over event titled Swords of Sorrow, which has females from all over Dynamite coming together to fight a big evil. The main Vampirella series will be taking a break for a bit, while this event is going on. She stars in the main Swords of Sorrow mini series, as well in her own Vampirella/Jennifer Blood mini series, which puts her in a world much like ours.

Like I said, I am a huge fan of Vampirella, and that has a big thanks to Dynamite and Nancy for bringing me in. I pick up a lot the past Vampirella issue when I see them, I have a long way to go, but trades and collections have been helpful in collecting old stuff. I have been collecting single issues of everything Vampriella since 2014 when Nancy took over.

So are you guys big Vampirella fans? Do you like her alien origin? Or Supernatural Origin? Or a mix? I like the Supernatural stuff, but I don't mind the other side of it too, a mix could be good.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 06-12-2015 at 05:33 PM.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

So glad this thread got made! I was thinking of making one too because I noticed one hadn't been made, just like there wasn't one for Red Sonja for the longest time either!

I'm a recent Vampirella fan. I'm still relatively new to comics compared to the majority of the posters here on CBR, so I actually didn't know anything about her character for a long time. Then when I started buying comics regularly, I'd see issues of her books come out and I was always intrigued but didn't know anything about her.

That changed once I started getting into Red Sonja heavily, and particularly when I picked up the Legenderry paperback. I adored how Vampirella was portrayed and her character design in that book, and since then I've picked up her Legenderry solo mini-series and her Altered States one-shot, both of which I've adored! I've also been picking up everything Swords of Sorrow-related, including Vampirella's team-up with Jennifer Blood.

I'm going to pick up some paperbacks of her earlier series and the first paperback of her ongoing soon
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    So glad this thread got made! I was thinking of making one too because I noticed one hadn't been made, just like there wasn't one for Red Sonja for the longest time either!

I'm a recent Vampirella fan. I'm still relatively new to comics compared to the majority of the posters here on CBR, so I actually didn't know anything about her character for a long time. Then when I started buying comics regularly, I'd see issues of her books come out and I was always intrigued but didn't know anything about her.

That changed once I started getting into Red Sonja heavily, and particularly when I picked up the Legenderry paperback. I adored how Vampirella was portrayed and her character design in that book, and since then I've picked up her Legenderry solo mini-series and her Altered States one-shot, both of which I've adored! I've also been picking up everything Swords of Sorrow-related, including Vampirella's team-up with Jennifer Blood.

I'm going to pick up some paperbacks of her earlier series and the first paperback of her ongoing soon
    Ya, it was your thread that gave me the idea haha, I thought it was strange. I have been loving a lot of Red Sonja stuff too.

I also have been loving the Legenderry story too, I picked up the trade for it, and I am buying the mini series for Vampirella, it has been really great so far. An interesting Vampirella tale and I love the setting!

Glad you started reading some Vampirella stuff. For a long time I would see her stuff on the shelf and thing it was all cheese cake and did not have a story, but I still was interested in her, because I love vampire stories and supernatural stories.

When this new series started I picked up issue one, because I loved the Frison cover, and read it. I called my store that day and put it on my pull. I also picked up the Red Sonja series after that as well. I felt so wrong in my thinking that the costume had effected the story in any negative way. I wish I started in 2010. But since then I have picked up trades for those haha.

I loved the Altered state story line, would love to read more from that line. And the the Swords of Sorrow event has been crazy good! Loving it. Nancy is such a perfect writer for her, and the art has been amazing.

You should for sure pick up her ongoing, if you want haha. Issue 12 and 13 are a new arc and they have a great trade for the first arc. Not sure when the next trade comes out, but I hope soon.
    Pulls:

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I also have been loving the Legenderry story too, I picked up the trade for it, and I am buying the mini series for Vampirella, it has been really great so far. An interesting Vampirella tale and I love the setting!

Glad you started reading some Vampirella stuff. For a long time I would see her stuff on the shelf and thing it was all cheese cake and did not have a story, but I still was interested in her, because I love vampire stories and supernatural stories.

When this new series started I picked up issue one, because I loved the Frison cover, and read it. I called my store that day and put it on my pull. I also picked up the Red Sonja series after that as well. I felt so wrong in my thinking that the costume had effected the story in any negative way. I wish I started in 2010. But since then I have picked up trades for those haha.

I loved the Altered state story line, would love to read more from that line. And the the Swords of Sorrow event has been crazy good! Loving it. Nancy is such a perfect writer for her, and the art has been amazing.

You should for sure pick up her ongoing, if you want haha. Issue 12 and 13 are a new arc and they have a great trade for the first arc. Not sure when the next trade comes out, but I hope soon.
    I had the exact same thought when I first started seeing Vampirella in my local comic shop. I thought to myself, "Wow, that looks kind of dumb." I had the same thoughts about Red Sonja when I first saw her character design. But I was always curious, and I'm so glad I decided to give them both a try! Vampirella's flashy, revealing costume really betrays how many nuances and degrees of depth there are to her character. I guess this is a textbook example of not judging a book by its cover!

I love Jenny Frison's art, and she does a fantastic Vampirella and Red Sonja.

I also wish we could read more from the Altered States storyline! I thought it was really different and original. I loved how the water and blood got switched around.

And thanks for the info about her ongoing! I jumped onto Red Sonja's ongoing with the new arc too, and I was wondering if there was a good jumping-on point for Vampirella's ongoing as well. I'm still going to pick up the paperback, but it'd be great to have some more Vampirella on my pull-list!
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

I had the exact same thought when I first started seeing Vampirella in my local comic shop. I thought to myself, "Wow, that looks kind of dumb." I had the same thoughts about Red Sonja when I first saw her character design. But I was always curious, and I'm so glad I decided to give them both a try! Vampirella's flashy, revealing costume really betrays how many nuances and degrees of depth there are to her character. I guess this is a textbook example of not judging a book by its cover!

I love Jenny Frison's art, and she does a fantastic Vampirella and Red Sonja.

I also wish we could read more from the Altered States storyline! I thought it was really different and original. I loved how the water and blood got switched around.

And thanks for the info about her ongoing! I jumped onto Red Sonja's ongoing with the new arc too, and I was wondering if there was a good jumping-on point for Vampirella's ongoing as well. I'm still going to pick up the paperback, but it'd be great to have some more Vampirella on my pull-list!
    Ya, but I understand why they keep the costume, it's a part of her. In the first issue of Nancy's run she is getting dressed and has a normal shirt and her costume and she says "Why fight it" that's a good way to talk about it. People know the costume better then the character, so it's kinda iconic. But I would not mind a change.

Nancy's run is big on the fact that she only wears it during battle. So she is not in it all the time, in the current arc she is wearing this amazing dress. The art is so good in this new series.

Nancy told me there is going to be some changes coming for Vampirella, both physically and emotionally. But when I asked about if she meant the costume, she said she could not tell me, but that the 2015 annual is when it starts.

But this current arc that started with 12, is really good at catching you up. It has some flash backs explaining what happened at the end of the first arc, which is kinda all you need to know for this current arc. So it kinda explains everything, almost. But Nancy always has away to make a reader feel not lost, so that helps haha.

Anyways here is September's info for the Swords of Sorrow main mini series title, which Vampi is in.

Swords of Sorrow #5 (OF 6)
    Cover A Main: Tula Lotay
    Cover B Variant: Emanuela Lupacchino
    Writer: Gail Simone
    Art: Sergio Davila

As the epic era-spanning tale rockets towards conclusion, reluctant heroines find themselves facing terrifying alternate versions of themselves on the road to the ultimate showdown with the Prince Of All Worlds. Can even the combined forces of Kato, Red Sonja, Dejah Thoris, Vampirella, Jungle Girl, Lady Zorro and dozens more save reality? Join us for the penultimate chapter in what critics are calling the best crossover event of the summer!
    Got this from bleeding cool. The cover looks amazing. I love that they are all in suits. Looking like agents of some kind. Can't wait to get my hands on this haha,
    Pulls:

Just popping in to say ive been digging the current run, which is the first to ever really hold by attention on a Vampirella book.

Also liking SoS so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Just popping in to say ive been digging the current run, which is the first to ever really hold by attention on a Vampirella book.

Also liking SoS so far.
    Glad to see you here!

And ya, just talking to my comic store workers, it seems a lot of people are liking and buying the current series. Which is great! I am glad this one seems to be keeping you on the title. Nancy is doing a wonderful job, she was main to write titles like this. Vampires are her thing haha. It was smart of Dynamite to ask her.

And this event (SoS) is a big push for these characters, including Vampirella. Can't wait to see the aftermath and I hope it gets new readers for all these characters.
    Pulls:

Sorry to double post haha, but....

Bleeding Cool has info on the Vampirella titles in September. Including the Vampirella 2015 annual, which takes a new direction.

VAMPIRELLA 2015 ANNUAL
    Cover: Jay Anacleto Writer: Nancy A. Collins Art: Aneke

No longer the Queen of the Nosferatu, Vampirella is free to begin a new chapter in her life—as a field agent for The Kabal, a covert supernatural organization comprised of monsters that polices their own kind in order to maintain balance between humanity and the world of the occult. Her first mission is to rescue a fellow Kabal agent kidnapped by a group of mad scientists calling themselves the Prometheus Society, who demand the release of their fellow member, Dr. Faustus. But first she must coerce a former field agent, Lazarus the Walking Dead Man, into returning to the Kabal before going toe-to-toe with the likes of Dr. Moreau, Dr. Caligari, Dr. John Dee, and a certain Dr. Frankenstein. Let the Monster Rally begin!

VAMPIRELLA / ARMY OF DARKNESS #3 (OF 4)
    Cover A: Tim Seeley Writer: Mark Rahner Art: Jethro Morales

Ash’s pals in 1300 A.D. are so happy to meet Vampirella that they introduce her to a friend of their own: Black Friar Thomas, who wants to put her on trial as a witch! That is, a trial by ordeal! And with the massive Deadite onslaught imminent, what better time?
    The new direction sounds fun, Vampirella, Agent of Kabal. I love the Kabal, it has a interesting cast of characters. So it will be cool to see more of them.
    Pulls:

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-bo...nnifer-blood/2

Here is a list of the reviews for Vampirella/Jennifer Blood #2. One 5, but the rest are really high reviews.

Me personally, I loved it. Nancy has been doing a great job with JB, and the story of this seems interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I also can't wait for Vampirella 13. I got the Jenny Frison's cover, so pretty! And powerful. Great cover artist.
    Pulls:

Edit: Sorry, did not mean to make this its own post, meant to have edited the one above this. Someone can feel free to edit them together and delete this one if I did wrong, I am sorry.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/...a-feary-tales/

Ok, now this is so cool! Just staring at each page you will see something new that is in motion.

Dynamite Entertainment and Visionborne have partnered to produce a special edition release of Vampirella: Feary Tales featuring movement and visual effects in every panel of the comic book.

Vampirella: Feary Tales celebrates Vampirella’s 45th Anniversary in the tradition of the original Warren magazines. Nancy A. Collins assembled a team of writers to contribute twisted tales, bizarre bedtime stories, and fearsome fables. Contributing talents include Gail Simone, Stephen R. Bissette, Elmo Eklabuz, Ronilson Freire, Devin Grayson, Jack Jadson, Joe R. Lansdale, Elaine Lee, Stuart Moore, Steve Niles, John Shirley, Denis St. John, and Eric Trautmann.

You can download the first issue of the series for free on the Visionborne app on the web (http://www.visionborne.us), on iPad, and on Google Play) or as a single app on your tablet under the name Vampirella: Feary Tales #1 (on iPad and on Google Play).
    I downloaded this on my tablet, it is so cool. If you go to the bleeding cool article its self you can find links.

I know I made a thread for this already, but I thought I would poat it here too haha. Just in case.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 06-16-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    Pulls:

This looks really good! That cover looks amazing! I love Alien, so this is exciting for me as a Vampirella fan haha.

ALIENS / VAMPIRELLA #1

Written by Corinna Bechko, art by Javier Garcia-Miranda, cover by Gabriel Hardman.

Humans have begun to colonize Mars, but something ancient and sinister got there first. Now Vampirella is faced with a mystery only she can solve, and the bloody realization that some monsters should never be awakened.

32 pages, $3.99.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 06-20-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Pulls:

Nancy has announced that the 2015 Vampirella Annual will be the last issue in her run on Vampirella. This is very sad news for Vampirella fans, as her pen of the character has been amazing. I was personally looking forward to see her write more Kabal stories and Draculina stories. I hope whoever they get to replace her will keep with her direction, as it has been a great way for Vampirella to go.

I do hope the series keeps going at least. Nancy has done great with Vampirella, I don't want to see that just end, so I hope it keeps going and they get a good replacement.

I plan to ask about this at SDCC.
    Pulls:

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Nancy has announced that the 2015 Vampirella Annual will be the last issue in her run on Vampirella. This is very sad news for Vampirella fans, as her pen of the character has been amazing. I was personally looking forward to see her write more Kabal stories and Draculina stories. I hope whoever they get to replace her will keep with her direction, as it has been a great way for Vampirella to go.

I do hope the series keeps going at least. Nancy has done great with Vampirella, I don't want to see that just end, so I hope it keeps going and they get a good replacement.

I plan to ask about this at SDCC.
    That's too bad, especially because I was planning on jumping onto this run with the annual :\ Gail Simone is leaving Red Sonja with issue #18, so it's a bummer that both her and Nancy Collins are leaving their series.

That's too bad, especially because I was planning on jumping onto this run with the annual :\ Gail Simone is leaving Red Sonja with issue #18, so it's a bummer that both her and Nancy Collins are leaving their series.
    Ya agreed, it is very sad. Like I said I hope they get a replace who can keep the direction Nancy was going. She told me via Facebook that Dynamite does have plans for more Vampirella, but she can't not say what they are.

I plan to ask at Comic Con, and I hope to get as much info as a can.

There is a Dynamite panel on Thursday with Gail, so I think ask there would be a good place. Unless later on there is a different Dynamite panel that fits the question better.

If I hear anything you guys will be one of the first to know.

It is sad that she is leaving, but Nancy has turned me into such a huge Vampirella fan, that I hope the series keeps going and I am glad that we will be getting more Vampirella. I just hope they keep the same direction haha.
    Pulls:

Good news everyone! Vampirella is getting a series still, it spins out of the Swords of Sorrow event. No writer info yet. But that is great news. Also Nancy won't be leaving Dynamite, she is going to be working on something new. As a fan of Vampirella, I shall follow the new series. And as a fan of Nancy's work, I will for sure pick up whatever she works on next! If I hear any info at SDCC, I will for sure pass on the information. Also a big thanks to Byron Brewer for writing that helpful article for Dynamic Force, and to Nancy for answering those questions and for the amazing run on Vampirella!

https://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfi...DFN06251593325

By BYRON BREWER

Writer Nancy Collins is leaving Dynamite Entertainment’s Vampirella comic after a critical and fan-favored run with the iconic queen of the night.

Collins has tweeted: “My run on Vampirella ends with the 2015 Annual. Pre-order now so you don't miss it.”

When contacted by DF News tonight, Collins said she is leaving because “…Dynamite is spinning off a new series/version of Vampi from the Swords of Sorrow cross-over event. There are definitely plans for Vampi, but I'm not the one to ask.”

But there is good news for Collins fans. The scribe said that, pending a few final arrangements, “it looks like I'll be writing another title for Dynamite. So I'm not really going anywhere.”

Collins’ relationship with the Vampirella title, as was Gail Simone’s with Red Sonja, was on the cusp of a new wave of female writers and lead female characters blossoming in the industry. Powerful properties like Marvel’s A-Force and Dynamite’s summer-long Swords of Sorrow event are proof of the staying power of more gender diversity in comics.

Of her last book, the 2015 Vampirella Annual, Collins said that “the Cabal is a huge focus of [the book]. We'll get to see Vampi teaming up with other agents such as a Frankenstein Monster, a witch and a werewolf to fight a group of mad scientists. It was fun to write.”

And to the devoted fans of both Vampirella and Collins, the author said: “Thank you for your support, and I hope you will follow me to whatever I do next. I've really enjoyed writing Vampirella -- far more than I imagined possible. She's been super fun to write.”
    I am interested to how this new series spins out of Swords of Sorrow and how Vampirella is affected by the event. I hope the Kabal will still be there. As well as her Supernatural stories.
    Pulls: