Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default R the books success delaying the return of male Thor & Steven Rogers?

We have Jane Foster as the new Thor and Falcon as the new Captain America. Each of them have their own ongoing solo and and the books are selling well every month. Are the books success delaying the return of Thor Odinson as Thor as well as Steven Rogers as Captain America?

We're also getting a new Hulk character and X-23 has just been revealed as the new Wolverine.

If poor sales will guarantee that the original characters will return at an earlier time, would you prefer not to support the books so the original characters can return faster?

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    We have Jane Foster as the new Thor and Falcon as the new Captain America. Each of them have their own ongoing solo and and the books are selling well every month. Are the books success delaying the return of Thor Odinson as Thor as well as Steven Rogers as Captain America?
    Doubt it. Maybe it has something to do with the writer's and editor's long-term plans?

If poor sales will guarantee that the original characters will return at an earlier time . . .
    an assumption that doesn't seem based on anything factual that you've presented
    . . . would you prefer not to support the books so the original characters can return faster?
    Again, there's no logic whatsoever that you've presented. There were new directions planned for these characters (directions that are actually variations on things done in the past in the case of both heroes), and the directions seem to be causing more interest in these titles (at least based on what comic book shops order; we have no idea how many individual readers have bought any of these books). Why are we suppose to automatically assume that the sales of these replacement characters are the only thing delaying the return of the original characters to these roles?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Doubt it. Maybe it has something to do with the writer's and editor's long-term plans?

an assumption that doesn't seem based on anything factual that you've presentedAgain, there's no logic whatsoever that you've presented. There were new directions planned for these characters (directions that are actually variations on things done in the past in the case of both heroes), and the directions seem to be causing more interest in these titles (at least based on what comic book shops order; we have no idea how many individual readers have bought any of these books). Why are we suppose to automatically assume that the sales of these replacement characters are the only thing delaying the return of the original characters to these roles?

But if the plan was only to give the new Thor a 12-issue ongoing solo, wouldn't the solo continue if the sales is doing well? Which could also mean delaying the return of the original character.

We've got a lot of ongoing solos. Storm, Elektra, She-Hulk and other didn't sell well so their ongoing solo ended on the 11th -12th issues.

But for Black Widow and Magneto, their ongoing solos has already reached 18 issues because it was doing better in sales.

So if the their original plan for the new female Thor was only for 12 issues but the series is just selling well, then Marvel would most prolly extend the title to 6 issues or more. So it's possible it will cause the delay of the return of the original character.

If poor sales will guarantee that the original characters will return at an earlier time, would you prefer not to support the books so the original characters can return faster?
    I'm sorry but no I wouldn't. You see I actually like replacement heroes and legacy characters because I like to see what they do with the weight and responsibility of having to fill the shoes of said heroes and how they go about doing what the original would do. Not to mention it's not like all the versions of the heroes are dead in some cases, they've just been altered.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm sorry but no I wouldn't. You see I actually like replacement heroes and legacy characters because I like to see what they do with the weight and responsibility of having to fill the shoes of said heroes and how they go about doing what the original would do. Not to mention it's not like all the versions of the heroes are dead in some cases, they've just been altered.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion.

I actually like the idea of replacements/changes until i thought about what if it happens to my favorite character.

I don't think it's really so much about the success of the books per say. While Sam has been successful as Captain America, Jane as Thor has definitely been a polarizing book among readers. I'd say that it's more a matter that Marvel is invested in telling the stories that they want with those characters in those roles. So come hell or high water, unless those books end up hemorrhaging money, they'll keep the books going to tell their full stories.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

I actually like the idea of replacements/changes until i thought about what if it happens to my favorite character.
    Thanks, and I do understand that sentiment of not wanting to lose favorite characters.

However as for someone like Storm I'd say she one of the harder characters to replace, seeing as not a lot of other characters have powers similar to hers, besides that they need to be really careful who they pick to replace her. One wrong decision could start one hell of a backlash from fans.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

I think usually companies provide themselves with a possible "out" to end the story early if it isn't popular. With Superior Spider-Man, it was Peter's memories. If the series had flopped, then they could have used that for Peter to take back his body much earlier than he did.

With Thor and Captain America, they made the changes a few months before Secret Wars so they would have the option of changing back if it didn't work out. If Jane Foster Thor had sold badly, they would have just returned Regular Brand Thor (or someone else) to the role during the eight-month gap after Secret Wars, when they can make any change they want. But Jane's series was popular so she'll be in the role for as long as she continues to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    . . . If Jane Foster Thor had sold badly, they would have just returned Regular Brand Thor (or someone else) to the role during the eight-month gap after Secret Wars, when they can make any change they want. But Jane's series was popular so she'll be in the role for as long as she continues to sell.
    Isn't that overlooking a more likely scenario: if Jane-as-Thor is still popular when the writer's planned story with her is done, they could instead bring back Odinson as Thor and have an additional title with Jane as a Thor?

Fantastic Member

Are the books success delaying the return of Thor Odinson as Thor as well as Steven Rogers as Captain America?
    Most definitely.

No. I want Marvel to tell as many stories as possible with the new status quo before they revert back to how things always are. If I'm enjoying the current stories, why would I want to lose those stories? I'm always going to be able to have Logan as Wolverine, but X-23 as Wolverine is probably only going to happen once. Why would I not want to get as many of those stories as I can?

I always want good stories, period. Would I be upset if I thought I would permanently lose my favourite character? Sure. But anyone who thinks this is permanent are either ignorant of how comics actually work or they're so caught up in their precious character that they've lost all perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Jane as Thor has definitely been a polarizing book among readers.
    People who post online are in the vocal minority. There is no evidence they're representative of the wider comic reading population. In fact the the sales of the latest Thor volume indicates they're not representative of most people who read comics.
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

How many comics have Grandpa Rogers and the son of Odin appeared in, in the last three or four months? A lot, right?

I know some people are scared that Rogers will never be Captain America again, but c'mon, Steve Rogers is all over these days, he's been replaced as Cap before, and he'll be Cap again, probably in time for his next movie.

Same with Thor.

Nothing is delaying "the return" of these characters, because they're each in comics every month. And, they'll be back in their traditional roles and using their traditional names when this story is over. It's no different than when Eric Masterson was Thor or when Cap was Bucky or when Cap was John Walker... they'll be back in the saddle when the story is over.

This won't be like Bruce Wayne, who had his back broken and never ever came back as Batman, or any of those times Iron Man died and never came back.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

We're also getting a new Hulk character and X-23 has just been revealed as the new Wolverine.

I wouldn't say the books sucess delayed their return to status quo so much as I would say the books sucess are ensuring that they won't return them pre-maturely.

I'm sure marvel given the choice would prefer to take their time with all of this stuff. If things had crashed and burned sales wise they MIGHT have scrambed to return things to normal a bit faster, but seeing as how things are fine I think the pressure is off and they can finish when it's finished.

BANNED

I am all for an ongoing with 616 Thordis, but only if her secret identity of 616 Jane Foster is preserved.
    It would be oke to me if Thor returned but only if it is not 616 Thor. Gimme his counterpart on the all new mainstream marvel earth marvel comics!

It is nice that 616 Sam Wilson will continue to star in his ongoing.
    It would be oke to me if Steve Rogers returned but only if it is not 616 Steve Rogers. Please marvel comics, confirm in the future that Old Man Steve Rogers is a counterpart of 616 Steve Rogers, just like Old Man Logan is a counterpart of 616 Logan.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

It's not something I worry about. Aaron's God of Thunder was pretty amazing. His Thor is solid and Odinson is still around despite Jane taking up the "mantle". I think Aaron will have Odinson fully redeemed and worthy of Mjolnir once again, before he is finished with the book, regardless of how sales are.

The books are good which would delay things, but I think Secret Wars itself and Marvel's need to be "All New and All Different" after every major event is probably the bigger hurdle, as it is delaying the original creators from actually getting the breathing room to do the stories they have been trying to set up, even if it gives them avenues to try new and unbelievable things they couldn't have done in the old 616.

Besides we see versions of Thor Odinson and Steve Rogers all over the place anyway, so it hardly matters.