Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default The Age of Space Opera Media

With things like Guardians of the Galaxy making the transition from Superhero Films to Space Opera, could Space Opera become the new popular subgenre of sci-fi to be the crop for Hollywood?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlienSyfy View Post
    With things like Guardians of the Galaxy making the transition from Superhero Films to Space Opera, could Space Opera become the new popular subgenre of sci-fi to be the crop for Hollywood?
    For the current crop maybe. BUT we've gotta get rid of all the crappy Young adult Sci fi filled with pretty people and no substance. I'm actually writing a 3 part Space Opera, written as one whole, but three connected stand alones. I'm doing a world book and anthology novel. I believe in GOOD Space operas. They can be done, be made fun, and deep. I don't think Hollywood right now has the chops for anything different. Even when they fail at their formula films, they always think it's something else, except the formula and stupid focus groups.

^^Perhaps. Disney certainly will have Star Wars highly saturated into the pop culture landscape with a new film ('Episodes' and 'Anthology' installments) every year for the next few years, in addition to Guardians of the Galaxy sequels. With Infinity War we'll most likely see all the Marvel heroes enter space opera territory. Meanwhile, Paramount is still trying to crack the Star Trek code. Jupiter Ascending came out earlier this year, and while it was a box office bomb, it was a very expensive old-fashioned space opera.

I always read that some studio is trying to revive either Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers. There's been someone trying to make it work for years, but they never seem to gain traction. Maybe they will now?

Personally, I'm tickled that my favorite genre, the giant monster film, has made an unexpected resurgence, with plenty more Godzilla, King Kong, Pacific Rim, and Jurassic Park (it seems, as the new film is set to do very well) movies in the pipeline. I'll be their for each one!
    Last edited by Angilasman; 06-12-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Between Disney's Star Wars plans, the Star Trek films, and the coming Babylon 5 reboot? I'd say there's a very good chance that space opera is about to come back in a big way.

This delights me to no end.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Amazing Member

Don't forget Space Command, Honorverse and the Mass Effect movie.

Amazing Member

Default Space Opera (avoiding Star Wars and Star Trek)

Let me think: Guardians of the Galaxy, Jupiter Ascending, Battlestar Galactica, Fasrcape, Dune, Mass Effect, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, etc.

Do YOU think those 2 Star franchises are just too dominating?

Also, .... how many Space Operas can YOU Name?

Babylon 5 and Firefly, you named most that I would say already.

Amazing Member

Halo is more military sci-fi. and Doctor Who is actually Time Opera

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

E. E. Smith's Lensman series the grandaddy of them all.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Macross, Robotech, Switchblade Honey, Leiji Matsumoto stuff like Emeraldas and Galaxy Express 999, Nadesico... those great horror/space station flicks like Jason X and Event Horizon. The most recent volume of Captain Marvel was some fantastic space fantasy rescue mission dogfight evil empire must fall splendor.

I find, personally, that if you're interested in space opera or space action/exploration, etc, and all you see are Star Wars and Star Trek, you're kinda doing it to yourself. I still haven't seen a full trailer for the upcoming SW movie, I don't know the plot, I vaguely know all the white stars of the old ones are coming back, but I don't care, so I don't know any more than that.

If you don't care, if you don't seek it out, it's not like anyone forces you to watch Star Trek/Wars every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Astronaut View Post
    E. E. Smith's Lensman series the grandaddy of them all.
    And, still really wonderful.

Halo is more military sci-fi. and Doctor Who is actually Time Opera
    There hasn't been a Star Wars yet that isn't about war. And, the Doctor gets to fight aliens, deal with alien things, and go through space as well as time often enough.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Would Isaac Asimov's Foundation series count as a space opera?

What about Samuel R. Delany's Babel-17?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Astronaut View Post
    Would Isaac Asimov's Foundation series count as a space opera?

What about Samuel R. Delany's Babel-17?
    I'd count them. And, the last sequence of novels from Heinlein.

I wonder if more planet-locked stuff should count, though, Leigh Brackett and Edgar Rice Burroughs stuff.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

To me, a live-action Robotech series is to achieve this...

Robotech Valkyrie Project Episodio 1/3 HD Non Profit Fan film(ENG SUB)

BANNED

Robotech Valkyrie Project Episodio 2/3 HD Non Profit fan film (ENG SUB)

BANNED

Robotech: Valkyrie Project - Episodio 3/3 HD