Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fantastic Member

#3 is out and its definitely feels like something is coming to ahead for all 4 stories especially with Shore, the professor. The issues have tended to put focus on a particular order for the characters and this time it felt like the order was Shore, the black kid, the Guantanamo Bay guy, and then the actress. In the first issue, I felt Shore's and the Guantanamo guy's stories hooked me and then in the second issue the actress' story pulled me in, and this issue I felt like the black kid's story got its hooks into me though the actress' felt a little short. Still it continues to be a very unique read and I haven't even touched on the footnotes which I'm saving that for when next month's issue comes out as that is supposed to wrap up this first arc. In terms of the essay, this time around the back matter touches on Lindsay Lohan a bit but connects itself well with the actress' storyline especially with a decision she makes in this issue. The essay this time around wasn't for me, but I liked that the essays are connected to the larger contexts of the stories.

I'll probably have deeper thoughts once next month's issue is out to take the whole arc in and all the footnotes, but this continues to be a great read.

From IGN's review of issue #3:

Material is such a tough book to explain on a monthly basis. Progress is being made in the lives of each of our four unrelated protagonists, but it’s still fairly abstract and it’s a slow and steady progression. The experience of reading Material is like being a voyeur -- the scenarios all feel so real that they often border on mundane. But if you’ve ever people-watched at a local grocery store or parking lot, you know that there can also be something hypnotic about the mundanity. The characters are all so well-written and the scenes so well-rendered that reading the book is equally hypnotic.

Agree with the review above. I felt similarly with Zero, in that I felt like a fly on the wall during many of the issues, observing the mundane, but that didn't make the experience/story any less fulfilling. Now that we're three issues in, it feels like the individual stories have had enough time to breathe where I'm feeling more connected with the characters and each narrative feels like it is moving somewhere. I'm enjoying each issue more than the last.

Any thoughts on next arc? Based on the covers and solicitations that have been released, it seems to revolve around sex. I'm wondering if we're going to get a new set of characters.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BogSurfer View Post
    Agree with the review above. I felt similarly with Zero, in that I felt like a fly on the wall during many of the issues, observing the mundane, but that didn't make the experience/story any less fulfilling. Now that we're three issues in, it feels like the individual stories have had enough time to breathe where I'm feeling more connected with the characters and each narrative feels like it is moving somewhere. I'm enjoying each issue more than the last.

Any thoughts on next arc? Based on the covers and solicitations that have been released, it seems to revolve around sex. I'm wondering if we're going to get a new set of characters.
    I'm curious about that too. Kot's mentioned that the cast isn't complete and that some will intersect with others so its tough to tell, like with any Kot work, where things will go. The next arc beginning in October touches on sex to begin with and I think all of the current stories can touch on that in their own way or we'll get some new folks to follow. I guess depends on how the current arc ends and where the characters end up.

I'm loving the way the story is developing. Really starting to get a sense of binary/duality that is showing up within each of the individual characters, the themes linking between them.

How does everyone feel about the art? I think the colours and line work are great.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

I just read #3. I liked it, but I worry that the lack of major plot in the 3 issues will turn off more mainstream readers, who are the ones who need to get the messages being broadcast the most. I just worry Ales is only preaching to the converted, where writers like Morrison know how to put enough fanfare into the books that the more mainstream reader won;t even realize they just took in a philosophy lesson. But it's his comic, so he can really do what he wants, and I am enjoying it either way. But he is tackling so many important issues, I wish he could've found a way to shoehorn things like it into his Marvel books where he could reach people who have never considered the world from his POV (is it stereotyping that I view Image readers as intellectuals and assume Marvel readers are 90% yutzs?).

Of course it is, you can't generalize a group group of people you don't know on any personal level, or pretend to know who those people are as people based on one brand of entertainment they publicly enjoy.

I like so called "intellectual" things but I also like dumb garbage sometimes because it's dumb garbage. It wouldn't be fair to assume that's the only thing I like because you saw me renting a stupid movie at a red box, or something.

I popped in here because for whatever reason I cannot remember that this book came out, and is 3 issues in, despite being pretty interested in it when it was getting previewed a while back. I don't know why, but this just vanishes from the face of the earth for me every time I step into a comic shop.

Well, I love Marvel, so I am lumping myself in there, too. I think Kirkman might have brainwashed me with his anti-Big 2 rants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I just read #3. I liked it, but I worry that the lack of major plot in the 3 issues will turn off more mainstream readers, who are the ones who need to get the messages being broadcast the most. I just worry Ales is only preaching to the converted, where writers like Morrison know how to put enough fanfare into the books that the more mainstream reader won;t even realize they just took in a philosophy lesson. But it's his comic, so he can really do what he wants, and I am enjoying it either way. But he is tackling so many important issues, I wish he could've found a way to shoehorn things like it into his Marvel books where he could reach people who have never considered the world from his POV (is it stereotyping that I view Image readers as intellectuals and assume Marvel readers are 90% yutzs?).
    I think you have a point there, about his message. It's more a comic about the message.

HOWEVER. The story is called "material", right? It's about humanity's constant infatuation with material things (in part, anyway). And here you've made a post that pretty much sums up the kind of person Kot is talking about! Meta-irony?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Spectacular Member

Well that was immensely satisfying. Finally some justice in the world.

Also, the cop shouting "You can't do this to me you black ************!" made me think of the angry white guy at the end of **** Tha Police. (Might've even been the same line verbatim)

I feel like this might have been the strongest issue so far (except for the professor, ironically, who has previously been one of the most interesting parts).

Fantastic Member

For those wondering, Material has been cancelled.

Below Ales talks about why and possibly bringing it back next year with a format change or something to at least use Tom Muller's covers we've seen in solicits for the future issues so we'll see.

http://tinyletter.com/AlesKot/letters/wash-over-me

A shame as I thought that while the 4 issues do tell a complete story, I felt that it was a very unique series that was going to be something special and really felt like you got into the mind of Ales Kot more than any other series and see how he thinks and perceives the world which is very fascinating. Hopefully it'll come back at some point.

Also Wolf will be getting a new artist when the series returns in January 2016 as Ricardo Lopez Ortiz will be on art duties.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Sad news indeed. I will gladly continue to support this title wherever Kot goes with it next.

Just read the new issue of WOLF this week and it's one of my favorite books.

Spectacular Member

Man. This is immensely disappointing. I was so looking forward to seeing everywhere this comic went; it had so much potential to go on to be something very special. Shame we won't be able to see everything that could've been now.