Page 23 of 114 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Circe conjured up a wicker hand basket and merrily started sweeping entire shelves of things into it while merrily whistling a tune. "Ohhh! This one must be powerful! It's so shiny."

"What quality boomslang skins! Powdered smurf extract? Huh. I'd heard that is used for alchemy or as a delicious food additive. ...Perhaps now is the time to try it! Do not let me keep the rest of you from reaping this bountiful harvest! Surely there is something of interest for every one of us!" Circe cheerily grinned at the others while still tossing miscellaneous magic stuff into the hammerspace that seemed to be contained in the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Circe View Post

Circe perused the store's many items with interest. "Ah! An Orb of Thesulah! The Ring of Gyges! The Dice of Gygax! Devil's Shoestring! African Dream Root! The Nose of Agamotto! ...I may need a basket."

After a bit more shopping around, Circe paused and asked the obvious question, "With all the unique artifacts present-- which one do we require? Would it be wiser to acquire all of them? Certainly, we could use every advantage possible, correct?"

"Circe seems to be right at home here. Nothing but junk in here if you ask me. Clearly this Xanadu was a hoarder."

Hawkman looks through the shelves and picks out a random book...

Rise of an Immortal:
    The Complete History of Vandal Savage
    As Told by Vandal Savage

Foreward by Steven "Captain America" Rogers
    (Tosses book) "This is nothing more than a fool's errand!"
    Last edited by The Purple Skull; 07-10-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    GLORIOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    "Is there some other significance to this place?" The Cat asked inspecting some items on one of the shelves nearby.
    Harbinger replies, "Madame Xanadu once used this site to host her own Traitor Game, which culminated in a large mystical confrontation and a powerful sacrifice."

"I know of a Madame Xanadu in my world as well, if this is her shop than where is she? I'd imagine us barging into this place would be of interest to her."
    Mary Jane inadvertently answers her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    "So, we're searching the residence of a fortune teller?" Mary Jane asked. "It looks like Madame Xanadu isn't in at the moment, whoever she is."
    "Correct. She is... indisposed at the moment.".

Mary Jane took a look around the front room, and then wandered the hall. Strange framed pictures aligned the walls. They were pictures of costumed heroes, some of whom she recognized.

She saw pictures of Captain America, the Punisher, the Shadowcat girl from the X-Men who Peter had teamed with a few times (was she still wearing that blue costume? Mary Jane had lost track), and that Medusa who had teamed with the Fantastic Four on a few occasions. With them in some of the same pictures were ... Catwoman? Boba Fett? Indiana Jones? Darth Vader? Giant robots? As well as a number of people she didn't recognize.

One picture depicted Shadowcat, Catwoman, Squirrel Girl, a few fighters, and a bunch of strange-looking squirrels fighting off against a dragon creature. The plate at the bottom of the picture frame said "Battle with Volvagia".

All of the pictures were photo realistic, apparently photographs taken at various places within Madame Xanadu's residence.
    "Ah, Willow," Roy says, holding one picture frame. Looking at another he adds, "And the infamous Vandal Savage. What a game this must've been."

"So, who are the rest of you, and have we been told just what we're looking for here? This place looks like it might have LOTS of mystic artifacts. I just hope Madame Xanadu is okay with us 'borrowing' them to save the world."[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    Circe perused the store's many items with interest. "Ah! An Orb of Thesulah! The Ring of Gyges! The Dice of Gygax! Devil's Shoestring! African Dream Root! The Nose of Agamotto! ...I may need a basket."

After a bit more shopping around, Circe paused and asked the obvious question, "With all the unique artifacts present-- which one do we require? Would it be wiser to acquire all of them? Certainly, we could use every advantage possible, correct?"
    Circe conjured up a wicker hand basket and merrily started sweeping entire shelves of things into it while merrily whistling a tune. "Ohhh! This one must be powerful! It's so shiny."

"What quality boomslang skins! Powdered smurf extract? Huh. I'd heard that is used for alchemy or as a delicious food additive. ...Perhaps now is the time to try it! Do not let me keep the rest of you from reaping this bountiful harvest! Surely there is something of interest for every one of us!" Circe cheerily grinned at the others while still tossing miscellaneous magic stuff into the hammerspace that seemed to be contained in the basket.
    "Take whatever is powerful by itself. None of the the simple "eye of newt" stuff," says Blue Skies, addressing them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterbasset View Post
    He goes toward the aisle where perishable magic objects should be. What does he find?
    He happens to be right behind Circe, hearing what objects are available as she calls them out.

Earlier...

...THOUGH QUESTIONS QUESTIONS ABOUND MONITOR OR HARBINGER I HAVE A QUESTION THIS PSYCHIC ASSAULT DO WE TREAT THIS AS THE METHOD THE HOUND'S HOST WOULD USE IN THE KILLING OF CIRCE OR CAN THE HOUND NOW ACT ON ITS OWN AND WE MUST STRIKE BLIND?
    "The Hound is still trapped within a vessel, Weaver," replies The Monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    "Take whatever is powerful by itself. None of the the simple "eye of newt" stuff," says Blue Skies, addressing them both.

He happens to be right behind Circe, hearing what objects are available as she calls them out.

Circe continued on obliviously ignoring Blue Skies, "The legendary Spear of Density! An Orb of Confusion! Phoenix Down! Tuscon Up! All of these wonders certainly help to make up for my nearly being nudged to death!" Circe stopped short before waving over the Orb Weaver who was following behind her, "Oh! Look, mighty Weaver! This hat would be perfect for you!" Circe cheerfully picked up the hat and adjusted it upon the Orb Weaver's head.

"There! You look quite dapper, if I may say so!"

And so the Judge's intervention caused the vote against Gammastorm to be nullified, and for Linda's defense of herself to be completely meaningless. The prime suspect had immunity, therefore the runner up had to be punished in the suspect's place regardless of how little sense that made. She had made a good argument that people were voting for her for all the wrong reasons, and people had wisely rethought their votes. But not enough people.

So regardless of the good she had done for the cause, she was sent away.

The next thing she knew, she was ... elsewhere.

"Where am I? What am I doing here?" Linda asked. "Will someone fill me in here?"

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Clark looked out over the ever shifting masses of land to a silver city shimmering in the distance, then pointed at the city.

"There's a veritable armory of powerful artifacts here in Limbo, most in that stronghold up ahead. This Immortus has collected them through Traitor Games and hid them in Limbo, but with everything slowly coming unraveled, it is much easier to access this place, and thus much easier to take these artifacts" Clark told Sage. His eyes then sparked and he floated up into the air.

"from what I know of you, your visual abilities should allow you to perceive further distances than most here. You'll join Thunder and I while Kori and Irma lead Hummingbird and the rest"
    "Sage? But ... Sage exploded." Linda said. "I saw it. And I got voted out because of it despite convincing more people to vote for someone else. The Judge cancelled out the vote and I got sent here instead."

"Limbo?" Linda asked.

...HELLO NEW WEAVER GREEN LANTERN LET ME HELP YOU HELP YOU STEADY YOUR VERTIGINOUS MIND VENEER YOUR CRAFTINGS WE ARE TO GUARD THIS LOCATION THIS VARIED VENDOR OF THE ODD FROM ATTACK AS WELL AS PAY CLOSE OPTICAL OBSERVANCE TO THE MADAME'S TAROT CARD DECK, THE HELM OF FATE, THE WHEEL, THE BELL, THE JAR, THE SPEAR OF DESTINY, THE DARKHOLD, AND AN EXPIRED BUNDT CAKE...

He crawled the isles of the shop, displacing things from their rightful spot.

...ALLOW ME THE BUNDT CAKE THE DESSERT ROBBED OF ITS PRIME ALLOW ME PLEASE...

He goes toward the aisle where perishable magic objects should be. What does he find?
    "If we're looking for cake, try the kitchen!" Mary Jane said with a smile. "This place is actually bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. Probably because Madame Xanadu's one of those mystics like Doctor Strange. It's more than just the shop. There's a kitchen, a media room, a gym, some guest rooms, bathrooms, and a basement."

"Anyway, let's look around everywhere. Sooner or later, one of us will hit the jackpot."

Mary Jane had very limited experience with mystics. Peter had met with Dr. Strange on a few occasions, but Mary Jane hadn't been in any hurry to meet them herself. The Green Lantern ring, however, seemed almost magical in the way it responded based on her willpower. It had been three years since she had been given it, but she still was amazed by it.

She took a look in the kitchen. Maybe some bundt cake was in the refrigerator, if nothing else.

One of the first things she noted in the kitchen was a book on the counter. She saw a look at the title.

Attilan's Best Bundt Cakes
    Recipes by Medusa

"So Medusa knows how to make bundt cakes?" Mary Jane asked, to no one in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purple Skull View Post
    "Circe seems to be right at home here. Nothing but junk in here if you ask me. Clearly this Xanadu was a hoarder."

Hawkman looks through the shelves and picks out a random book...

Rise of an Immortal:
    The Complete History of Vandal Savage
    As Told by Vandal Savage

Foreward by Steven "Captain America" Rogers

Mary Jane took a look at the book herself. She saw some review quotes on the back cover.

"Vandal Savage is a jerk!" -- Kitty Pryde

"He stole facts from me!" -- Chuck Norris

"He's one ornery son of a rattlesnake. Best be careful cornerin' that desperado." -- Jake Marshall
    "Another self-indulgent vanity book?" Mary Jane said with a sigh as she tossed it aside. "This sounds worse than J. Jonah Jameson's memoirs."

She then resumed her search for the artifacts.
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 04-12-2016 at 10:10 PM.

And so the Judge's intervention caused the vote against Gammastorm to be nullified, and for Linda's defense of herself to be completely meaningless. The prime suspect had immunity, therefore the runner up had to be punished in the suspect's place regardless of how little sense that made. She had made a good argument that people were voting for her for all the wrong reasons, and people had wisely rethought their votes. But not enough people.

So regardless of the good she had done for the cause, she was sent away.

The next thing she knew, she was ... elsewhere.

"Where am I? What am I doing here?" Linda asked. "Will someone fill me in here?"

"Sage? But ... Sage exploded." Linda said. "I saw it. And I got voted out because of it despite convincing more people to vote for someone else. The Judge cancelled out the vote and I got sent here instead."

"Limbo?" Linda asked.
    Clark looked distraught at seeing Linda there. He really did not like the idea of these games, and while he wished he could say something, nothing good came to mind. Kori took note of this and nudged Clark so she could talk to Linda.

"Let us talk while we move Hummingbird. I am sorry you have been dragged into this but you still live, and with a valiant heroine like you at our side, our odds are even better than before. Now come, run Flash run!"" Kori urged her, breaking out into a sprint that Linda caught up to with ease. On the way, she expounded upon Limbo as a concept with Saturn Girl's help, while The Demon seamlessly sifted through the air and Captain Thunder flew along with the others.

"From what Imra has gleamed of Clark's mind, Limbo is a domain that lies outside of time and is home to a man who calls himself Immortus and considers himself Master of Time. Apparently he assembled a group of characters from these Traitor Games and supposedly took the artifacts they got from these games and hid them in his stronghold which is up.... ahead?" Kori asked as the silver city shimmered, shifted to their right, then straight ahead of them again.

"Time is breaking down and seeping around this area. Lets continue to move with urgency. The city is straight ahead" Saturn Girl told them. They swiftly reached the city, and it was just as eerily quiet as the desert area they landed in. Not hot, not cold, dry or damp, just there. Existing for the sake of existing. Clark then pointed towards a large spiraling tower shaped like a gothic I, and ushered the group to follow him there.
    Last edited by Froggy; 07-11-2015 at 02:53 AM.
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by Circe View Post
    "Oh! Look, mighty Weaver! This hat would be perfect for you!" Circe cheerfully picked up the hat and adjusted it upon the Orb Weaver's head.

The Weaver ran his fingers around his new hat, feeling the power coursing within it. The ambient glow helped display the manic glee on his face.

weaver_by_lewdooze-d4ir8m3magic.jpg
    ...I AM BECOME COMPOSER THIS HAT THIS THAUMATURGIC MOTION-GIVER GIVE PAUSE GIVE LISTEN ALL TO MY CONCERTO RISE MY FANTASTIC FANTASIA OBJECTS EREWHILE BORING DANCE THE MAD DANCE MARCH TOY SOLDIERS MARCH...

To familiar music, Crystal balls rolled off their shelves, images of the Weaver's face cackling in their globes. Eyes of newt experienced newfound sentience and looked at the guests of Madame Xanadu's shop. They and other objects rolled into a discordant conga line, sashaying past Weaver for inspection on a musical conveyor belt.

Veteran Junior Member Wolvie616's Avatar

After being down and out for what seemed like a 3 day holiday weekend, the Savage Hawkman had finally recovered from the Daleks' attack.

"For all intents and purposes I should not be here. But my armor--this Nth Metal--took the brunt of the attack and saved me from death. I will not let my guard like that ever again. And mark my words, even if I have to rip through all realities, I will find those automatons and destroy every single last one of them."
    "My friend, there will be due time for vengance. But we must first save reality!"

At this point, The group lost Hummingbird to voting. Thor was enraged at her loss.
    "An innocent soul cast out, victim of the hounds! I shall avenge thee, my friend...

We must not make a second mistake. The final hound must be brought to justice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    "Is there some other significance to this place?" The Cat asked inspecting some items on one of the shelves nearby. "I know of a Madame Xanadu in my world as well, if this is her shop than where is she? I'd imagine us barging into this place would be of interest to her."
    The Moniter dropped the group off in the house of Madam Xanadu. Thor walked with trepidation. There were very few magicians he had pleasant interactions with. Amora and his Brother both were fond of using magic to attempt to destroy him.

"The sooner we collect what we need and leave, the better. I do not trust a place of magic to be left unguarded..."

Soon afterward, Mary Jane learned what she needed to know. The blonde woman, who called herself Harbinger, told her of the Monitor and the Anti-Monitor and their quest for the artifacts that would help them to save countless worlds from destruction. The next thing she knew, she was in Madame Xanadu's shop.

"So, we're searching the residence of a fortune teller?" Mary Jane asked. "It looks like Madame Xanadu isn't in at the moment, whoever she is."

"All right." Mary Jane said, to anyone else in Madame Xanadu's place. "I've just got here. You can call me Green Lantern."

"So, who are the rest of you, and have we been told just what we're looking for here? This place looks like it might have LOTS of mystic artifacts. I just hope Madame Xanadu is okay with us 'borrowing' them to save the world."
    Thor looked at her with curiousity. The Green ring he was unaware of, but the red-haired beauty resembled someone he vaguely knew.

"You....I know you from somewhere. You stir memories of an ally of the Avengers... Do you know any Avengers in your world?"

"I am inclined to agree with you. With the exceptions of Dr. Strange and Brother Voodoo, all magicians I know are cunning and dangerous figures. Still, my Mjolnir is an enchanted object as well. Perhaps it can be of some use. Circe, what say you? What are we looking for?"

Veteran Junior Member Wolvie616's Avatar

The Weaver ran his fingers around his new hat, feeling the power coursing within it. The ambient glow helped display the manic glee on his face.

weaver_by_lewdooze-d4ir8m3magic.jpg
    ...I AM BECOME COMPOSER THIS HAT THIS THAUMATURGIC MOTION-GIVER GIVE PAUSE GIVE LISTEN ALL TO MY CONCERTO RISE MY FANTASTIC FANTASIA OBJECTS EREWHILE BORING DANCE THE MAD DANCE MARCH TOY SOLDIERS MARCH...

To familiar music, Crystal balls rolled off their shelves, images of the Weaver's face cackling in their globes. Eyes of newt experienced newfound sentience and looked at the guests of Madame Xanadu's shop. They and other objects rolled into a discordant conga line, sashaying past Weaver for inspection on a musical conveyor belt.
    Thor watched the Weaver with some amusement

"Perhaps our items of power simply needed a rousing tune to reveal themselves!"

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Xanadu's Home & Roy Lincoln View Post
    Around the shop are shelves adorned with various jars, each filled with unique contents, more than a few of which are grotesque. Many shelves house books of esoteric titles and knowledge. Exotic sculptures from far away lands and times occupy much of the shop's extra space. More than a few among the group might swear these were idols...or demons.*

Trying to put his confrontation with The Monitor behind him, Roy states, "So I finally made it here. I knew of this place and its connection to the Games, but have never visited. Perhaps in a different life, I'd have participated in the game that was held here..."
    That was some botch by the Monitor's group. If it wasn't enough that the Guard and Judge had come out of the woodwork and threw a wrench into things, the circumstances caused an agent to be sent away to the Wanderers. But that... was all less important to Ultra-Rogue. If she hadn't been distracted by the hunt for the Hypertime Hound, she might have been able to keep Zoom the Conqueror apprehended, and the Starheart might have been retrieved. It was a team effort, but she couldn't help but burden herself with thinking she could have done more... disabled or not.

But now, they had arrived in Madame Xanadu's domicile. Ultra-Rogue ran her fingers along glass cabinet. She inspected her gloves with squinted eyes-- her vision was coming back, thank goodness. And what she saw was dust. Dust... and shelves and shelves of mysterious magical things lined up.

"This place is fulla junk. What're we lookin' for again?"

Nonchalantly rifling through a shelf, she knocked a seemingly ordinary wooden chalice to the ground. Rogue was holding what appeared to be merely a toy monkey holding two cymbals. She waggled it in front of Roy by the back of its neck.

"Lord help us if th' Anti-Monitor got his hands on this, am ah right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvie616 View Post
    Thor looked at her with curiousity. The Green ring he was unaware of, but the red-haired beauty resembled someone he vaguely knew.

"You....I know you from somewhere. You stir memories of an ally of the Avengers... Do you know any Avengers in your world?"

"Of course I do!"
    Mary Jane said. "I've met Janet and Hank. Hank Pym, that is. And Jennifer Walters, the She-Hulk. I've come to her for legal advice as well as help with the whole superhero thing. I haven't seen as much of Captain America as I'd like to, but I did run across Hawkeye and the Black Widow."

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpooligan View Post
    That was some botch by the Monitor's group. If it wasn't enough that the Guard and Judge had come out of the woodwork and threw a wrench into things, the circumstances caused an agent to be sent away to the Wanderers. But that... was all less important to Ultra-Rogue. If she hadn't been distracted by the hunt for the Hypertime Hound, she might have been able to keep Zoom the Conqueror apprehended, and the Starheart might have been retrieved. It was a team effort, but she couldn't help but burden herself with thinking she could have done more... disabled or not.

But now, they had arrived in Madame Xanadu's domicile. Ultra-Rogue ran her fingers along glass cabinet. She inspected her gloves with squinted eyes-- her vision was coming back, thank goodness. And what she saw was dust. Dust... and shelves and shelves of mysterious magical things lined up.

"This place is fulla junk. What're we lookin' for again?"

Nonchalantly rifling through a shelf, she knocked a seemingly ordinary wooden chalice to the ground. Rogue was holding what appeared to be merely a toy monkey holding two cymbals. She waggled it in front of Roy by the back of its neck.

"We'd better be careful with this stuff." Mary Jane said. "Madame Xanadu might have some magical anti-theft measures in place. I don't know if the Monitor and the others got permission to borrow anything. Maybe we should just stick to what's actually on our shopping list."

In Limbo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    "Time is breaking down and seeping around this area. Lets continue to move with urgency. The city is straight ahead" Saturn Girl told them. They swiftly reached the city, and it was just as eerily quiet as the desert area they landed in. Not hot, not cold, dry or damp, just there. Existing for the sake of existing. Clark then pointed towards a large spiraling tower shaped like a gothic I, and ushered the group to follow him there.
    As soon as they enter, a man cloaked in green and purple walks down the stairs, his head and the large helmet upon it remaining perfectly still. "Ah. It seems yet another group of castaways find its way to my domain. And just what business do you have with Immortus, Ruler of Limbo?"

In Xanadu's Shop
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpooligan View Post
    Nonchalantly rifling through a shelf, she knocked a seemingly ordinary wooden chalice to the ground.
    Roy acts quickly, catching the chalice before it hits the ground, placing it back in its proper place.

Rogue was holding what appeared to be merely a toy monkey holding two cymbals. She waggled it in front of Roy by the back of its neck.

Roy gently grabs the monkey toy, saying, "Surprisingly, I get a sense of power, of evil, from this monkey. We shouldn't mess with it."

Circe continued on obliviously ignoring Blue Skies, "The legendary Spear of Density! An Orb of Confusion! Phoenix Down! Tuscon Up! All of these wonders certainly help to make up for my nearly being nudged to death!" Circe stopped short before waving over the Orb Weaver who was following behind her, "Oh! Look, mighty Weaver! This hat would be perfect for you!" Circe cheerfully picked up the hat and adjusted it upon the Orb Weaver's head.

Just then, a WOOSH of wind rushes by Circe and the Weaver. Circe then notices that the Spear is gone.

A figure flies in the middle of the room, goading them. "Oh, thank you, witch. You saved us the effort of looking for this Spear," she says, twirling it in her hand.

"Power Woman," Blue Skies says coldly.

"Yes. Some of you know her as Power Girl," Harbinger informs them. "This one is not the virtuous hero you know, but rather a ruthless fighter who uses her immense strength and her sexuality to obtain anything she desires."

"Aw, isn't that sweet? You took the time to know everything about me," she says sarcastically.

Roy appears behind Amason and puts a hand on his shoulder. He tells the hero, "I know she's from your world and you hate her, but don't act rashly."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    In Limbo...

As soon as they enter, a man cloaked in green and purple walks down the stairs, his head and the large helmet upon it remaining perfectly still. "Ah. It seems yet another group of castaways find its way to my domain. And just what business do you have with Immortus, Ruler of Limbo?"

"You will be the ruler of nothing very soon if you toy with us, Immortus" Princess Kori murmured. Clark stepped up to speak to the man.

"Immortus, we are here on behalf of a being known as The Monitor. Reality is dying and he has a plan to save it that involves the use of powerful artifacts across existence. Currently you hold a wealth of them here in Limbo. We humbly ask that you give them to us so that we may save all that exists. The wave of antimatter coursing through reality has and will have dire effects on the laws of the universe. Check your various timelines to see what I mean. There are things going awry, suns burning out, people aging or whole worlds vanishing. Look, and then tell us you agree to let your artifacts be put to use saving lives"
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    "We'd better be careful with this stuff." Mary Jane said. "Madame Xanadu might have some magical anti-theft measures in place. I don't know if the Monitor and the others got permission to borrow anything. Maybe we should just stick to what's actually on our shopping list."
    "Figure if we ain't tripped an alarm by now, we ain't gonna get caugh--."

Rogue bumped into a bookshelf while she was talking to Mary Jane.

"Dangit! Ah am just a bull in a china shop in this place."

She picked up a few books, one with a mouth trying nibble at her fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lincoln View Post
    Roy acts quickly, catching the chalice before it hits the ground, placing it back in its proper place. Roy gently grabs the monkey toy, saying, "Surprisingly, I get a sense of power, of evil, from this monkey. We shouldn't mess with it."
    Just then, a WOOSH of wind rushes by Circe and the Weaver. Circe then notices that the Spear is gone. A figure flies in the middle of the room, goading them. "Oh, thank you, witch. You saved us the effort of looking for this Spear," she says, twirling it in her hand.

"Power Woman," Blue Skies says coldly.
    Roy appears behind Amason and puts a hand on his shoulder. He tells the hero, "I know she's from your world and you hate her, but don't act rashly."
    Ultra-Rogue rolled up the sleeves of her jacket and stepped forward.

"Hey Roy, ah get a 'sense of power, of evil', from this'n.

And ah'm about to act rashly."

She pointed to Power Woman.

"You and your friends swoopin' in are really startin' to tick me off."