BANNED

Default The First Ever Picture Of an Actual Black Hole Is Truly Mesmerizing.

A product of the Event Horizon Telescope situated in NSF in USA, depicts the Super Massive Black Hole which is located in the galactic centre of galaxy Messier 87 (M87).
    56835585_800532743649706_8701442001817567232_n.jpg

Cool picture. LOL'ing though how some of the media is giving 100% of the credit to Katie Bouman for getting this pic even though she was merely one of hundreds of workers on this project and wasn't even the head of it. She is almost certainly smarter than me and obviously has achieved more than I ever will in the scientific world but its so annoying when SJW politics takes over a story as it has here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/s...lack-hole.html

The coolness of the pic is just the matter that is being accreted into the black hole. That process is giving off so much energy that it lights up around the black hole, making the hole visible.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    LOL'ing though how some of the media is giving 100% of the credit to Katie Bouman
    True, ... also weird to see "info bytes" like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    A product of the Event Horizon Telescope situated in NSF in USA
    When the whole point and success of the The Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) was that it's a planet-scale array of eight ground-based radio telescopes across the globe linked through international collaboration.

They are in Hawaii, Arizona, Spain, Mexico, Chile, and the South Pole.
    Like the Avengers Assembled! of telescopes

"... Imaging a black-hole at this wave length, requires a telescope as big as our planet. The the EHT (Event Horizon Telescope) uses a global network of dishes. to simulate a telescope of this size. Each dish collects and records radio-waves coming from near the black hole, the data are then combined to create the image of the event horizon" ...."
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-12-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Cool picture. LOL'ing though how some of the media is giving 100% of the credit to Katie Bouman for getting this pic even though she was merely one of hundreds of workers on this project and wasn't even the head of it. She is almost certainly smarter than me and obviously has achieved more than I ever will in the scientific world but its so annoying when SJW politics takes over a story as it has here.

Bouman personally created the algorithim that allowed it. Conservative efforts to downplay the centrality of her role are for the usual reasons, it would appear.

I read the New York Times article. From what I can see, the article doesn't try in any way to give Katie Bouman 100% the credit. It merely details how a photo of Bouman went viral. It seems more like the photo was mishandled by people using social media. In my opinion, social media and actual news media outlets are not the same thing.

Bouman herself seemed pretty humble in the article.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    I read the New York Times article. From what I can see, the article doesn't try in any way to give Katie Bouman 100% the credit. It merely details how a photo of Bouman went viral. It seems more like the photo was mishandled by people using social media. In my opinion, social media and actual news media outlets are not the same thing.

Bouman herself seemed pretty humble in the article.
    Its more like this one that has no real mention to the other 200+ scientist with, engineers, and data analyst that have worked on the EHT together. With wording like "She led the project with the help of a team of scientists..." it can be very misleading as Dr. Shep Doeleman was the actual project led with Dr. Katie Bouman in-charge of the team that created the computer algorithm. It is not downplaying Dr. Bouman's awesome contribution to such a massive undertaking but it should be noted the this was a collaboration that span continents with work from people in many different scientific field. The line should have read "Meet Katie Bouman, One Of The Young Women Behind The First Image Of A Black Hole" It is awesome to have a spotlight on women in STEM and to encourage involvement in the field and Dr. Bouman deserves a huge amount of credit for this awesome accomplishment along with all of the others.

I seem to find now that actual news media seem to be getting some of their news form social media, its sad really. Anyway, congratulation to the entire Event Horizon Telescope team for such an outstanding contribution to furthering our understanding of the universe.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Its more like this one that has no real mention to the other 200+ scientist with, engineers, and data analyst that have worked on the EHT together. With wording like "She led the project with the help of a team of scientists..." it can be very misleading as Dr. Shep Doeleman was the actual project led with Dr. Katie Bouman in-charge of the team that created the computer algorithm. It is not downplaying Dr. Bouman's awesome contribution to such a massive undertaking but it should be noted the this was a collaboration that span continents with work from people in many different scientific field. The line should have read "Meet Katie Bouman, One Of The Young Women Behind The First Image Of A Black Hole" It is awesome to have a spotlight on women in STEM and to encourage involvement in the field and Dr. Bouman deserves a huge amount of credit for this awesome accomplishment along with all of the others.

I seem to find now that actual news media seem to be getting some of their news form social media, its sad really. Anyway, congratulation to the entire Event Horizon Telescope team for such an outstanding contribution to furthering our understanding of the universe.
    Pretty much this. Her contributions were important but so were everyone elses. Her contribution to the algorithm portion of the endeavor sounds like it was the most important part to that algorithm section of the achievement. Yet much of the media acts like she led the team and single handedly did this.

If this were a car then Bouman was the person most important in developing the fuel combustion system. But what about the people who developed the other parts of the engine, the frame, the tires, etc? It takes a team to do this and she wasn't even in charge of the team.

As I said earlier its about 99.99% certain she is smarter than me and since I'm not a scientist its 100% certain she achieves more every day just showing up to work than I ever will in a scientific field. But the way the media is acting like she did this all by herself, something she refutes, is annoying.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 04-12-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Once again, the internet manages to mess up a great moment completely.

Not only are there a bunch of fake Katie Bouman @instagram accounts now, but they’re spreading the lie about her colleague writing most of the code and commenters are just eating it up anyway thinking they’re replying to the real deal. They even made a fake account for the guy.
    https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1116799221422858241
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Once again, the internet manages to mess up a great moment completely.

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1116799221422858241
    Its things like this that make we think that internet trolls will cause unraveling of society. I wonder if 100s of years from now if they will look back on the time as the "Dark Age of Social Media".
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting