In the beginning, there was a void, cold and dark. Slowly, light grew within it. A hand reached through the void. In that instant, the Omniverse was born. Universes upon universes are forged within their own regions, called multiverses, each vibrating at their own frequency. That was then.

This is now. Welcome to Earth. Rather, welcome to this Earth, Earth-L. One Earth of many. Its universe is about to reach the end of existence.

"Majestic, it's no use!" exclaims the teenage Invincible, flying through the air. "It seems like no matter how fast we go, problems keep popping up everywhere! Massive floods, volcanoes erupting, crazy lightning... nature's gone insane!"

"It's more than nature, Invincible," replies Mr. Majestic. "Ness's psychic nature warned us of this disaster, but I fear even he did not realize the true scope of this problem. The entire universe has gone insane. I've used my micro vision and we're the only world that remains! Yet I am certain we can bring an end to this madness."

"I like that it's a 'we' and a not an 'I'. Can you imagine trying to fight this alone?" Invincible posits. "I wonder how the others are doing..."

Elsewhere, two others discuss the situation.

"Diana, I've never felt so helpless before."

"I know what you mean, Cap," replies Wonder Woman.

"Do you really? For decades, I have been seen as the best man has to offer, and a symbol of this nation. People look to me and those around me--like yourself and the rest of the Justice Guardians--for help in times of struggle. We hope to be able to save them, and our hope becomes their hope. But now... it seems like we're going to die along with them. We can save who we can, but so far it seems as if all of our abilities and brainpower cannot solve this problem. Why? Why were given these powers if we can't use them to save lives?"

Wonder Woman takes his hands between her own. "I know not the answer. I know not why the gods have bestowed upon on us these remarkable gifts, nor why they have now, in such a time of need, chosen to go silent. Even my patron Athena gives no reply. We must remain diligent, my love. May we yet turn the tide, or should we fail, be blessed with eternal rest in the Elysian Fields."

"You're right. We always have to hold on to the hope for a better tomorrow. We fight until the very end."

The two embrace, sharing and soothing each other's anxieties.

Meanwhile, Static patrols a section of New York City. "With all my power, I can't save any of them. I feel so... useless. That wall of... anti-matter, I think Majestic called it, dissolves all it touches. My power of static electricity is no match for... hey, wait!" He changes direction, having noticed an ally down below. "It's Angel! He's trying to use the vampiric strength of his to hold up that building long enough for this people to escape! ...But he doesn't realize the anti-matter wall is... Angel!" he shouts, trying to draw his friend's attention.

Angel looks up at him and says, "Static? What is it? Make sure these people get to s---"

He vanishes, seemingly wiped from existence.

The wall pushes onward. The Justice Guardians truly are no match for its relentless power. They fight until the end, trying to preserve as many lives for as long as possible, even if just to give a child a few more moments to live.

One by one they all fall.

A universe ceases to be. Untold worlds fade from reality.

---

A mysterious being watches as the wave creeps into other universes.

"It spreads again, Lyla. It gives me such a headache. As I had begun to see and as we both had been warned, the barriers between multiverses have faltered. Yet another universe outside my influence calls it quits! And once more another from within my influence cries as it feels the touch of death.

"You know what you must do and whom you must summon."

"I do, Monitor." A woman stands in form-fitting blue and red armored attire.

"I have consulted with our intruder."

"Guest, Monitor. He is our guest."

"I have consulted with our guest. We have analyzed all those with powers--in the past, present, and future, across multiple worlds. You and he will travel, gather our forces, and ignite our hopes."

"I'll do as you ask. I will serve as your Harbinger. But I suggest you remember that we are equals. I am not your slave."

---

On an island, the woman known as Circe has surrounded herself with her hybrid subjects. She takes a sip of wine. Suddenly, a burst of energy comes forth from a chamber wall. A form steps through it. "Circe, we have need of you. You feel your magic will keep you protected, but you are mistaken. Come with me, so that we may yet preserve your world."

She eyes Harbinger callously. "I am going nowhere!" she shouts, and tries to grab the woman. "My hand slips through you! Why sorcery is this?" Her subjects try to spring to her aid, but before they move, Harbinger vanishes, taking Circe with her.

---

A man of military background shows his I.D. and is allowed inside a building, carrying with him a pair of scissors. His footsteps echo through the darkness, carrying him to a heavy, iron-banded oak door. He twists the key and forces the door open by bracing all of his weight against it.

There before him was the Weaver, the giant spider.

...FLESHSCAPE INTO THE FOLDING WHAT OFFERING WHAT BOON THE HINGED SPLITTERS YOU BRING ME...

Pondering the situation a moment, the man hands over the scissors.

...AGAIN AGAIN AND AGAIN DO NOT WITHHOLD THIS BLADED SUMMONS THIS EDGED HYMN I ACCEPT I AGREE YOU SLICE SO NICE AND NICELY YOU LITTLE ENDOSKELETAL FIGURINES YOU SNIP AND SHAVE AND SLIVER THE CORDS OF THE WOVEN WEB AND SHAPE IT WITH AN UNCOUTH GRACE...

It chooses a place for the scissors. They seem to hang in the air with no assistance.

...MORE WILL COME NAY NOT OF THE FLESHSCAPE BUT MORE THE MONITOR AND THE DESTROYER NEED THEIR FOOTSOLDIER THE TORRENT OF THE NOTHING-MATTER CASCADES UNREPENTANT ALONG THE WORLDWEAVE THEY NEED PLAYERS THIS HARBINGER OF WHAT'S TO COME THIS OMEN OF GREATER THINGS I WILL LICK CLEAN ITS TATTERS BRING A KNOWING NEEDLE TO ITS HOLES THE FLESHSCAPE WILL WITNESS MY TEMPORARY ASCENSION DO NOT LET MY HUB GO UNCARED FOR I WILL RETURN...

...THE WORLDWEAVE REVERBERATES WITNESS THIS FLESHSCAPE FOR I AM BEING CONSORTED A PLAYER AMONG MANY BUT THEY KNOW NOT WHAT IS AT STAKE THEY DO NOT SEE THE SCOPE THE WORLDWEAVE MUST LIVE WE MUST PLAY SO THAT WE CAN LIVE SO THAT ALL CAN LIVE HE WHO MONITORS THE NOTHING SHALL KNOW DEFEAT I WILL CONTAIN THE DESTRUCTION HE HAS AND WILL WROUGHT...

A light appears in the corner of the room. It becomes increasingly and increasingly bigger.

...WITHOUT YOU ASK HARBINGER THIS ARTISAN ACCEPTS YOUR COMMISSION I BELIEVE MY WORK SPEAKS FOR ITSELF THIS CAPABLE FOOTSOLDIER LEAD THE WAY SO THAT WE MAY ASCEND AND BEGIN THE GAME IS AFOOT...

The Weaver vanishes, and the light with it.

---

A man holds a woman at gun point, standing on a rooftop. A small, yet menacing figure in a costume stands nearby. "Hand her over, before I make you," it says.

"Now, that ain't nice, mister World's Greatest Detective. You think just because you're Batman, you get to just make demands? Well, here's a demand. I want a chopper, fueled and ready, holding three hundred thousand big ones, and I want it all in the next fif--'

BIFF!

The man is hit in the face with a boxing glove. The man stumbles, and topples over the side of the building. Batman catches him. The woman flees to safety.

"Always knew that gadget would come in handy."

Harbinger appears before him. "I am here, Jimmy Kudo. I need you."

"Curious. Where did you come from?"

"Your questions will be answered later. Please come with me now."

---

A bolt of lightning! And 14 unique individuals from multiple realities find themselves mysteriously transported to a space station in an undisclosed location. In the main chamber, deep within the Monitor's satellite, the powers have been assembled.

From a platform higher above, Harbinger speaks. "Call me Harbinger. We, myself and my allies, will address why we have brought you here shortly. Please make yourselves at home. By the nature of what we plan to do, you will be here for a lengthy period of time. Call my name, and I will address any questions you have about this place, or each other."