Page 32 of 114 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

The world around Zoom twisted and warped, revealing glimpses of his homeland of Keyveria, his fight against Mephisteron, his hated rival Plastic Fantastic, and much more, only now, Doctor Destiny gave them his own special twist, incorporating himself as Zoom's better in each scenario.

"You want power, do you? HA! You're just a deluded little man. There is no place in your mind I can't overtake! Your dreams-- your DESTINY belong to ME!"

Zoom stared blankly at his adversary, seemingly entranced. But in an instant, his form warped, like someone adjusting the picture of an old television set-- then he was gone. The dreams also abruptly faded.

Doctor Destiny looked around, puzzled. "What? Over so quickly? And here I thought you might make this a challen--" In an instant, the muscular skull-suited supervillain was gone and a withered old man fell dead to the ground.

Zoom stood over the corpse holding a ruby. "Feh. Illusions are mere parlor tricks to one such as Zoom. Your pitiful true form waaaaaassszss beyonnnnnnnnnnd my assistance. Perhaaaaaaapzzzzssszzzz deeeeeeeaaaath isssssssszzzz the... improvement... you sszzzzzsssseeeeeeeeeeek. Rest assured, your power will live on through Zoom, as will all."

With a sudden flash, the ruby vanished and Zoom readied to speed towards Grodd, but it was then his unlikely allies finished the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro
    Thor and Jason distract Grodd long enough for The Weaver to guide the team into the Property Room via the Worldfabric. After the artifacts are gathered, Mary Jane encases them in the traditional Green Lantern orb. After an opportune strike from Thor, Jason Blood turns into a vapor and gasses Grodd.

Roy calls to The Monitor, "We need to leave quickly, before Grodd recovers!"

They are indeed transported back.
    "You dare?! Hrrrrrh."

"Well done in recovering the artifacts under such... difficult circumstances" The Monitor says immediately upon their return. "And what of the final Hound?"

"The Agent successfully located the final Hound. It is within The Cat," Harbinger reiterates.

As with previous Hounds, The Cat is enclosed in a chamber, the Hound is extracted, and The Cat herself is transported to be among the Wanderers.

"Even though we've defeated the Hounds, we still have to finish the fight against the Anti-Monitor," Roy says after momentary celebration.
    "Thisscurryingofinsectsisnothing. If they wish to matter in this grand cosmic folly, I must be certain to improve this rabble the Monitor has gathered."

"You have only one more world to visit. Once more, Clark Sparks will assist you," The Monitor says.

In a flash of light, Jason Blood is replaced by Clark.

The Monitor continues, "A powerful sorcerer once changed multiple worlds to reflect more ancient times. His spell was lifted and the worlds reverted back... with the exception of one world. On that world, one man's transformation was so complete, he did not become a man who fought against evil, but replaced the fallen evil sorcerer. The Batmage has maintained the spell that keeps his world trapped in an illusion of the past, further corrupted by the Batmage himself. He is the only member of the Suicide Squad you have yet to face, and he is the only thing between us and victory. You must travel to his world and capture the necklace of Kulan Gath, held deep in his cave. Succeed, and we can move to defeat the Anti-Monitor once and for all."

The group so teleported to the new Earth below.
    Zoom stood silently, observing the group and waiting...
    Last edited by Nschornhorst; 08-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Update! View Post

The Monitor continues, "A powerful sorcerer once changed multiple worlds to reflect more ancient times. His spell was lifted and the worlds reverted back... with the exception of one world. On that world, one man's transformation was so complete, he did not become a man who fought against evil, but replaced the fallen evil sorcerer. The Batmage has maintained the spell that keeps his world trapped in an illusion of the past, further corrupted by the Batmage himself. He is the only member of the Suicide Squad you have yet to face, and he is the only thing between us and victory. You must travel to his world and capture the necklace of Kulan Gath, held deep in his cave. Succeed, and we can move to defeat the Anti-Monitor once and for all."

[SCANNING AREA]

"We're at the home stretch now. I say we find this Batmage as soon as possible and get that necklace. Who knows? Maybe he'll accept a barter."

Meanwhile...in the distance...

Another figure is observing the unannounced visitors.
    GLORIOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post

"You have only one more world to visit. Once more, Clark Sparks will assist you," The Monitor says.

Meanwhile, Jason Blood and The Cat join the Wanderers in a hellish landscape.
    ]
    Clark adapted to his return remarkably well, and then furrowed his brow at the sight before him. This world was dark and a foreboding atmosphere loomed around them. An illusory reality layered over the truth.

"Good job finding the hounds! Now, let's finish this conflict and save life as we know it everybody. Considering the affinity Bat-men notoriously have for caves, I think I know where we should look. He'll more than likely be waiting for us so be on guard" Clark told the group, leading them towards where the Bat Cave would be in a world masked by a Hyperborian aesthetic. Gotham, where they were headed looked like a kingdom instead of a city, an eerily quiet kingdom that shined with a grey light, a magical metropolis.

Back with The Wanderers, Orion and Iron Man faded away, but the landscape did not.

"By X'hal! The two beings with us have left and while the landscape looks different, we are in a different world, a different timeline but the shift happened so abruptly. Things are breaking down even more" Princess Kori'andr announced to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post

"Hm... perhaps, a brew would make him more... cooperative. If you think it would help, I can conjure a potent potable capable of enthralling even a god."

" a god huh? Do you need any ingredients or should we just watch your back while you work? Only other person like you I know is named Mysa and she just defies the laws of physics by pulling things out of midair" Saturn Girl told her.

"If liquid coercion is needed then we will appreciate it if you make such a thing for us Circe. Please start as soon as possible" Kori told her, stalking forward with Jason
    Last edited by Froggy; 08-09-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by The Purple Skull View Post
    [SCANNING AREA]

"We're at the home stretch now. I say we find this Batmage as soon as possible and get that necklace. Who knows? Maybe he'll accept a barter."

Meanwhile...in the distance...

Another figure is observing the unannounced visitors.
    "You'd be wrong on that, my armored fri...wait, I feel someone watching us. A native" Clark said, and shot off a copy of himself toward the observer.

"Hello there. I come in peace" his copy told the stranger
    Last edited by Froggy; 08-09-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    "You'd be wrong on that, my armored fri...wait, I feel someone watching us. A native" Clark said, and shot off a copy of himself toward the observer.

"Hello there. I come in peace" his copy told the stranger
    "I know not of your group or your purpose for being here. But I will be watching. If you are of the kingdom of the Crimson Skull King, we will meet again under less than favorable circumstances."

Like a thief in the night, he was gone.
    GLORIOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    " a god huh? Do you need any ingredients or should we just watch your back while you work? Only other person like you I know is named Mysa and she just defies the laws of physics by pulling things out of midair" Saturn Girl told her.

"If liquid coercion is needed then we will appreciate it if you make such a thing for us Circe. Please start as soon as possible" Kori told her, stalking forward with Jason

"Oh, I think I can manage, thank you. Some may recall I drank from a conjured goblet soon after my arrival. It's one of my easier spells." Circe waved a hand and once more a goblet appeared. This one was made of cut crystal, reflecting a multitude of colors in the light. It was almost hypnotic. The goblet filled before everyone's eyes with a nectar the color of wine, shimmering with golden sparkles interspersed throughout the brew. A smell of berries and honey wafted through the air, reminding individuals in the group of something they treasure while simultaneously compelling them to become very, very thirsty.

"There. That should whet the appetite of even the most stoic of individuals. Don't you agree?"

Circe now removed her hands from the goblet, allowing it to float in midair, sparkling ever-so-enticingly, the smell now permeating even the most resilient senses.

"This particular brew is a favorite of mine, but be forewarned-- although you may be tempted, do not imbibe even a drop of it in this form, lest the magic within it consume you. I could drink it, as this particular magic is mine. This goblet can contain it, as it is carved from the very crystal that once held the great wizard Merlin. But without the next additive, the brew would be a most deadly trap indeed."

Lifting her ring above the levitating goblet, Circe uttered a spell to open the compartment concealed in the stone. Out spilled several small dried flowers and herbs. As they fell into the brew, they came to life, then evaporated into a silvery liquid which mingled with the potion, turning it a lovely lavender color.

"Among the herbs encased within my ring's stone was Moly-- in some stories, it is my bane. However, I choose to see it as a reminder to stay grounded and not be swayed by the power I wield, lest I end up like the very gods and goddesses I defy. It helps negate and transform the magic within the brew, so instead of consuming the drinker, it engulfs their will-- no matter how resilient or protected, for a time. Freeing them only when the brew... *ahem*... passes through their system.

I trust this will suffice?"

"Kulan Gath..." Mary Jane said. "That name seems familiar..."

She thought she recalled Peter mentioning the name once.

Meanwhile, Jason Blood and The Cat join the Wanderers in a hellish landscape.

"Harbinger told me where we are and what we need to do," Jason says. "We are in the realm of Apollyon. He has artifacts of numerous previous Traitor Games, many of which were the driving forces behind their respective games. We must speak with him and acquire his assistance. But he always has his own plans. We may have to... bargain to get what we want."
    "So how did this Apollyon get all these artifacts from previous Traitor Games?" Linda asked.

Clark adapted to his return remarkably well, and then furrowed his brow at the sight before him. This world was dark and a foreboding atmosphere loomed around them. An illusory reality layered over the truth.

"Good job finding the hounds! Now, let's finish this conflict and save life as we know it everybody. Considering the affinity Bat-men notoriously have for caves, I think I know where we should look. He'll more than likely be waiting for us so be on guard" Clark told the group, leading them towards where the Bat Cave would be in a world masked by a Hyperborian aesthetic. Gotham, where they were headed looked like a kingdom instead of a city, an eerily quiet kingdom that shined with a grey light, a magical metropolis.

"So, what's the story with this place?"
    Mary Jane asked. "Why did this sorcerer change the city into something out of some cliched pulp fantasy novel from the 50s? Did he just like it that way?"

"Oh, I think I can manage, thank you. Some may recall I drank from a conjured goblet soon after my arrival. It's one of my easier spells." Circe waved a hand and once more a goblet appeared. This one was made of cut crystal, reflecting a multitude of colors in the light. It was almost hypnotic. The goblet filled before everyone's eyes with a nectar the color of wine, shimmering with golden sparkles interspersed throughout the brew. A smell of berries and honey wafted through the air, reminding individuals in the group of something they treasure while simultaneously compelling them to become very, very thirsty.

"There. That should whet the appetite of even the most stoic of individuals. Don't you agree?"

Circe now removed her hands from the goblet, allowing it to float in midair, sparkling ever-so-enticingly, the smell now permeating even the most resilient senses.

"This particular brew is a favorite of mine, but be forewarned-- although you may be tempted, do not imbibe even a drop of it in this form, lest the magic within it consume you. I could drink it, as this particular magic is mine. This goblet can contain it, as it is carved from the very crystal that once held the great wizard Merlin. But without the next additive, the brew would be a most deadly trap indeed."

Lifting her ring above the levitating goblet, Circe uttered a spell to open the compartment concealed in the stone. Out spilled several small dried flowers and herbs. As they fell into the brew, they came to life, then evaporated into a silvery liquid which mingled with the potion, turning it a lovely lavender color.

"Among the herbs encased within my ring's stone was Moly-- in some stories, it is my bane. However, I choose to see it as a reminder to stay grounded and not be swayed by the power I wield, lest I end up like the very gods and goddesses I defy. It helps negate and transform the magic within the brew, so instead of consuming the drinker, it engulfs their will-- no matter how resilient or protected, for a time. Freeing them only when the brew... *ahem*... passes through their system.

I trust this will suffice?"
    Linda turned to Circe. "I have my doubts about this. Do you know this Apollyon? Do you know who and what he is, or where he comes from? How do you know this potion will work on him?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Linda turned to Circe. "I have my doubts about this. Do you know this Apollyon? Do you know who and what he is, or where he comes from? How do you know this potion will work on him?"

"If you have a better idea, then by all means, present it. It is an all-purpose brew and it has affected men, women, witches, wizards, and gods who dared try and invade my island kingdom. Our guides seem to think the idea is worth merit and I believe they know this Apollyon. Even if we choose not to use it, do you not think it should be among our options?"
    Last edited by Nschornhorst; 08-10-2015 at 05:56 PM.

"If you have a better idea, then by all means, present it. It is an all-purpose brew and that has affected men, women, witches, wizards, and gods who dared try and invade my island kingdom. Our guides seem to think the idea is worth merit and I believe they know this Apollyon. Even if we choose not to use it, do you not think it should be among our options?"

Linda shrugged. "I don't really have any better ideas." she admitted. "It's worth a try."

"But I think I'll do a little scouting, to see what's out here."

Hummingbird then decided to zoom around the area at super speed, to see if there was anything around they should be aware of. For a while, all she saw was barren, desolate, landscape.

But then she came across what appeared to be a small building. Made out of a type of stone Linda wasn't familiar with, it seemed incongruous amongst the surrounding areas.

However, the door appeared to be open, and Linda took a look inside.

Aside from a lobby and a few other small rooms, the building was mostly taken up with what looked like an auditorium or meeting room. A stage, several tables and chairs, and a desk dominated the room. Above the stage was a banner, reading 'Presiders Meeting Hall - Apollyon's Realm Branch'.

Linda looked around, but there appeared to be little of interest, aside from a few sheets of paper on the desk. They appeared to be 'minutes' for a meeting, though some of the pages seemed to be missing.

"...archdemon has met his demise. As promised, we will be rewarding all those who took part in the demon's defeat with a hefty reward in their individual local currencies. The problem is, it turns out that it is much easier to place a bounty then to pay it when it comes time for people to collect, given that in the end it was a group effort by residents of dozens of different universes."
    The page went on for some time talking about how, at the meeting, those in attendance argued over the difficulties involved in currency exchange when it applied to Multiversal organizations and reward money. But that, in the end, they had figured out how best to handle the differences in currency values in different parts of the Multiverse.

If Linda had to be honest, she found this discussion of Multiversal exchange rates to be boring, and looked at the other pages. She hoped she would find information of more relevance to their current quest. When she looked at the next page, and saw the phrase 'Traitor Games' on it, she perked up and read the page intently.

..."recovery of the logs of the first forty-three Traitor Games goes well. Elder Cologne and the S.H.I.E.L.D. Multiversal Initiative have already found and redistributed logs of the first, fifth, sixth, seventh, thirty-ninth, forty-first, forty-second, and forty-third Traitor Games. Logs of the rest have been located, but have yet to be placed in any libraries. The reasons why are many and varied. One is the sorters in charge not knowing the best and most prudent places to put them, and another is pure and simple procrastination."
    It went on for some time speculating on the reasons and debating them. If these notes were correct, there were at least forty-three previous Traitor Games, and perhaps there were more. So far, Linda was not finding any information relevant to their mission. However, the mention of the Traitor Games seemed promising, so she read another page.

..."Apollyon's base is closed off to us, and has been ever since the Presider Wars ended. We do not know of Apollyon's current status with the Powers That Be, as the Traitor Game Power That Be who gave him the position in the first place claimed to have retired. Attempts to reach Apollyon and speak to him have met with no response. Emperor Charon has not been seen since the destruction of the original Traitor Game Library. The Evinlea who appeared in the 'Rebirth' scenario hosted by the false Beyonder showed no memory of involvement in any previous Traitor Games. So the status of the 'Negation' verse beings in regards to the Presiders is in question. This may be our last Presiders meeting in Apollyon's dimension."
    Linda looked through the pages, and found little of note. Except for a map of the landscape, with some sort of technologically advanced complex circled in red marker.

Taking the map, Linda zipped back to the rest of the group. "This map leads to some sort of high-tech base or facility." Linda told the group. "I think this might be Apollyon's headquarters here."
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 04-11-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    "So, what's the story with this place?" Mary Jane asked. "Why did this sorcerer change the city into something out of some cliched pulp fantasy novel from the 50s? Did he just like it that way?"
    "Looks to me its one of those "wants to recreate world in his own image" kind of scenarios. Only in this case, it actually worked.

We need to find a trail to this Batmage person. Maybe we can get some assistance from the natives of this place. You know, if they're not out to kill us as well.

Clark, you said you sensed one of these natives here. Did you find him?"
    GLORIOUS!

". . ."

Quote Originally Posted by thoughts
    Pitiful. They do not even begin to suspect that I have been searching the area in the space of an eyeblink. If there is mystical power in this backwater realm, it will be enhanced by the might of Zoom!

"So, what's the story with this place?"
    Mary Jane asked. "Why did this sorcerer change the city into something out of some cliched pulp fantasy novel from the 50s? Did he just like it that way?"
    "
    "Yes, you could say he liked it this way. This is my first time entering his home dimension but the Batmage is one who... Clark said, when Tony interjected....

Quote Originally Posted by The Purple Skull View Post
    "Looks to me its one of those "wants to recreate world in his own image" kind of scenarios. Only in this case, it actually worked.

We need to find a trail to this Batmage person. Maybe we can get some assistance from the natives of this place. You know, if they're not out to kill us as well.

Clark, you said you sensed one of these natives here. Did you find him?"
    "Yes, wants to recreate the world in an image he prefers, one to mirror his newfound power. Entering this Gotham will work and Dr. Zoom, tell us if you find anything, okay?"

Then Iron Man asked about his encounter with the native of this reality.
    "I found him, but he was unwilling to help. I have a lock on his brain signature if you have an idea, Iron Man. If you notice, Gotham is the only place with any sort of power" he told Iron Man

"If you have a better idea, then by all means, present it. It is an all-purpose brew and it has affected men, women, witches, wizards, and gods who dared try and invade my island kingdom. Our guides seem to think the idea is worth merit and I believe they know this Apollyon. Even if we choose not to use it, do you not think it should be among our options?"
    "I appreciate your planning, Circe. The more options the better I say! We'll want to be careful when meeting Apollyon. I think you know just as well as I do that these gods can be rather, particular about certain things" Captain Thunder said.

Aside from a lobby and a few other small rooms, the building was mostly taken up with what looked like an auditorium or meeting room. A stage, several tables and chairs, and a desk dominated the room. Above the stage was a banner, reading 'Presiders Meeting Hall - Apollyon's Realm Branch'.

Taking the map, Linda zipped back to the rest of the group. "This map leads to some sort of high-tech base or facility." Linda told the group. "I think this might be Apollyon's headquarters here."
    "Good job Hummingbird! Most excellent work on your part!" Princess Kori'andr said, hugging the speedster.

"Now, please lead the way so we may meet this Apollyon" she told Hummingbird.
    Last edited by Froggy; 08-11-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Then Iron Man asked about his encounter with the native of this reality.
    "I found him, but he was unwilling to help. I have a lock on his brain signature if you have an idea, Iron Man. If you notice, Gotham is the only place with any sort of power" he told Iron Man
    "I tried asking around, but all I've come across are vagrants and derelicts spouting off nonsense."

"High Priest Magnus was right!"

"You maniacs! You blew it up!"

"Don't trust the man in the mask!"

"It's a cookbook!"

"Beware the Warrior of Ancient Winters!"

"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"

"Legends may die, but Immortals live forever!"

"BARBARIANCENAWINSLOL!"
    SIGH "It's like we never left the Asylum.

We're wasting too much time here. You would think there would be a castle of some sorts."
    Last edited by The Purple Skull; 08-11-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    GLORIOUS!

During one of his split-second jaunts, Zoom discovered a cave. Was it the cave that housed the Batmage? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Either way, Zoom vanished completely from view.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughts
    With all their endless prattling and delaying, it is once again up to their better to do the actual work. No matter. Once I obtain any artifacts this Batmage holds, they shall all be improved under the will of Zoom.
    While it might take him only a nanosecond to zip through this cave, Zoom knew to do so would be foolhardy, as even with his considerable temporal powers, a misstep could be fatal. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary at the cave entrance-- no tracks, no traps, no signs of any human habitation.

Zoom's boots and eyes began to glow as he hovered and proceeded to venture further into the cave, allowing the darkness to swallow him completely-- who knows what, if anything, he would find while exploring the encompassing shadows...

"Good job Hummingbird! Most excellent work on your part!" Princess Kori'andr said, hugging the speedster.

"Now, please lead the way so we may meet this Apollyon" she told Hummingbird.
    "All right." Linda said. "The map said it should be to the northeast of our current position."

She began to lead the way to what might be Apollyon's Citadel.

"We'll know it when we see it. It's a conspicuous metal structure. From what I've read, inside is a complex of corridors and laboratories and all sorts of strange facilities for monitoring Traitor Games. As well as keeping hidden things ... and persons ... they might want to keep hidden."

"This may or may not be the same facility the goddess Evinlea was hidden after an important battle with the Limbo Legion. That battle was mentioned in the notes I found along with the map. Apparently, a group of 'Presiders' ... Traitor Game Powers That Be and the people who are their proxies or representatives or ... something, I wasn't clear on the details ... aren't sure about Apollyon's status in the Traitor Games anymore. They haven't heard from Apollyon or the other Power That Be associated with him for a while."

She sighed. "So we really don't know what to expect."

She did not move at super speed, as she wanted the others to keep up with her. But she knew they'd know the Citadel when they saw it.