Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Marvel Animation Decline

It seems like the Marvel animation offerings recently have been pretty bad, both in terms of the most recent shows and DTVs.

Which is a shame, because Marvel had some good shows and some decent DTVs from 2008 to 2012. Do you agree that Marvel animation has been in decline? What would you like see in terms of animation offerings from Marvel? How would you improve some of these shows?

I would love a new X-Men series, but it will never happen. Wacker has said this himself.

Extraordinary Member

Of course there's been a decline, and it's about the decision to go for a narrowly focused audience - boys who have seen the Marvel movies.

Avengers Assemble is essentially a tie-in with the Marvel movies. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was trying to be more like Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League, a show that would stand on its own from the comics and other adaptations.

I think part of the difference is that cartoons aren't really meant to last any more. They make Avengers Assemble to tie in with the first movie, then replace it with another show to tie in with the sequel and plug the characters from upcoming movies. The Batman or X-Men cartoons were made with the hope that they would run in syndication for years, like Scooby-Doo does. It doesn't mean they weren't of their time, but they still wanted them to be built to last. Sometimes the cartoons even influenced the comics, like Batman created Harley Quinn and X-Men Evolution added X-23. They were definitely not cash-in shows.

Now the cartoons are more or less built to wear out their welcome as soon as the MCU moves on to something new. Avengers: EMH was the last cartoon that felt like they were trying to make something that could last.

Spectacular Member

i actually stopped buying the made for dvd releases, and i used to really love those. although, in fairness, i've thought the dc ones have gotten worse since the adaptions of the nu52 have started coming out.

I'm really disappointed in the animated movies and series. Hulk... SMASH is awful. Avengers Assemble is underwhelming. Spider-Man is meh. I really wish that they would take the time and actually translate to screen some of the classic tales - Kree-Skrull War; Galactic Storm; Korvac Saga; vs. Masters of Evil. I know that we won't get any X-Men animation unfortunately as it would be incredible to see X-Tinction Agenda, a proper Phoenix Saga, Messiah CompleX, Phalanx Covenant and All-New, All-Different - Second Genesis.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Of course there's been a decline, and it's about the decision to go for a narrowly focused audience - boys who have seen the Marvel movies.

Avengers Assemble is essentially a tie-in with the Marvel movies. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was trying to be more like Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League, a show that would stand on its own from the comics and other adaptations.

I think part of the difference is that cartoons aren't really meant to last any more. They make Avengers Assemble to tie in with the first movie, then replace it with another show to tie in with the sequel and plug the characters from upcoming movies. The Batman or X-Men cartoons were made with the hope that they would run in syndication for years, like Scooby-Doo does. It doesn't mean they weren't of their time, but they still wanted them to be built to last. Sometimes the cartoons even influenced the comics, like Batman created Harley Quinn and X-Men Evolution added X-23. They were definitely not cash-in shows.

Now the cartoons are more or less built to wear out their welcome as soon as the MCU moves on to something new. Avengers: EMH was the last cartoon that felt like they were trying to make something that could last.
    I think this really hits the nail on the head. One other point that I'd like to make is that the shows really come off as "Focus-Test" driven. Everything from the humor to the pacing, none of the three shows actually feel unique from one another.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

At this point I've given up on the Marvel animated adaptions, so long as Loeb is in charge and the Man of Action crew are writing the decline in quality will continue. I'll stick The DC animated movies by Bruce Timm.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by totalsellout View Post
    i actually stopped buying the made for dvd releases, and i used to really love those. although, in fairness, i've thought the dc ones have gotten worse since the adaptions of the nu52 have started coming out.
    The DC animated DVDs have slipped in quality and become mediocre, but the recent Marvel CGI ones are really bad, they look like they had a budget of 5 dollars and the scripts are terrible, the DC efforts were never that bad. The anime movies are okay, though they suffer from some of the bad anime tropes.

I wish Marvel would make animated DTVs that were not cheap tie ins to the main movies, like making adaptions of Future Imperfect or Kraven's Last Hunt or some other iconic story.

The shows and the DTVs need to cultivate new characters on a regular basis. It has to go beyond every movie property and that's it. I want to see "classic" Defenders, Daredevil, Power Pack, Power Man & Iron Fist, Runaways, solo Thor, solo Capt. America, Sub-Mariner, Silver Surfer, New Mutants, and no "teen versions" of characters who aren't already kids.

I think Marvel Cartoons are geared to a much younger audience now. Take HULK AND THE AGENTS OF SMASH for example. I personally know a bunch of First Graders who absolutely love the show. I'm humored when I hear adults complain about that show (as well as Ultimate Spidey and Avengers). I want to ask them if you read this bio, do you think this show is for you?

I love Avengers : Earth Mightiest Heroes. Clearly that show was geared for a much smarter audience. But now that technology has allowed Marvel to cater to the teen-to-adult audience with live action stories through the MCU and Television Series tie-ins... there might not be a need or market for these more mature cartoons anymore. And I think as the DCCU kicks in to high gear, they'll follow a similar model

But I do love the Dr. Strange and Planet Hulk animated films. But I do believe if they were never made.. and were under consideration now.. it would only considered for the cinematic universe.. as they pump out two quality live action Marvel films a year.
    Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 06-13-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Not the first time they target a younger audience. Avengers: United They Stand gave the Avengers the semi-armored look that was popular for the cartoons at the time, and Scarlet Witch had a freaking catchphrase.

Though the comic series for it were pretty good honestly. Old-school heroics.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Spider-Man Unlimited has alot of good ideas, it just doesn't need goofy cut scenes every three minutes.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member

The thing is that it's not so much about being geared to a younger audience as being geared to exclude an older audience. The great kids' entertainment can be enjoyed by adults because it's smart or funny, whether it's Batman: TAS or Sesame Street. And then there's the kids' entertainment that talks down to kids. And that's what the current Marvel cartoons seem to do. They're very narrowly focused on reaching their target audience.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Oh, and that Devil Dinosaur is too spiny.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

DC Animation is WAY better, even though I'm not a fan of the New 52 movies. Assault on Arkham was EPIC! And Gods and Monsters looks great as well. Dc could announce more shows at Comic Con. Marvel does not give two shits about quality. They are catering toward the BOYS (not girls) who know the MCU. That's the biggest issue.