View Poll Results: Which Villain do you want.

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joker

1 3.03%
  • Riddler

7 21.21%
  • Penguin

2 6.06%
  • Bane

0 0%
  • Poison Ivy

2 6.06%
  • Mad Hatter

3 9.09%
  • Scarecrow

2 6.06%
  • Ra's Al Ghul

0 0%
  • Court of Owls

5 15.15%
  • Mr. Freeze.

3 9.09%
  • A different Villain

4 12.12%
  • I don't want another trilogy.

4 12.12%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boisterously Confused

A gothic detective thriller where the Batman is considered an urban myth by most, and the origin story is not central to the plot, if it's mentioned at all.

BANNED

I don't get why people complain about origin stories.

Batman 66
    Batman 89
    Batman Returns
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Batman vs Superman

That's a 50 year span. 9 movies. Only one was an origin story. One other had a flashback in the third act. It's like the most overstated thing in superhero movies.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I don't get why people complain about origin stories.

Batman 66
    Batman 89
    Batman Returns
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Batman vs Superman

That's a 50 year span. 9 movies. Only one was an origin story. One other had a flashback in the third act. It's like the most overstated thing in superhero movies.
    I think it's because comic book fans get enough of it from comics and other media like video games and TV shows. In ASM's case wasn't less than a decade since an origin story. If movies could shorten it like in the Incredible Hulk movie, than I don't think many people would complain.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Ican not see a "realistic" portrayal of a Batman movie having a 10 year old fight crime. That would seem
    Creepy to say the least. Hopefully I am not alone in feeling this way
    Many did indeed feel that way when it was done with Hit Girl, but others loved it. There was no gray area, people either loved or hated it. But perhaps it could be done in a way where we don't actually see Robin do much physical crime fighting at first but just begins his training with Batman and doesn't put on the costume until the end of the movie. I'm thinking heavily of "Dark Victory," and though Robin did do some actual fighting in that story I think a more effective scene for a movie would be the one where the adults are struggling to solve a puzzle and then little Dick Grayson who is watching off to the side suddenly chimes in and solves it for them. Remember that Dick comes from a circus family and is already a trained acrobat which merges easily into his fight training, but his introduction in a film universe should focus less on that and much more on how when Bruce witnesses him losing his parents at such a young age he sees himself in the boy, more drama than action.
    Last edited by Kensei; 06-20-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    I don't get why people complain about origin stories. ... That's a 50 year span. 9 movies. Only one was an origin story. One other had a flashback in the third act. It's like the most overstated thing in superhero movies.
    I think it's because comic book fans get enough of it from comics and other media like video games and TV shows. In ASM's case wasn't less than a decade since an origin story. If movies could shorten it like in the Incredible Hulk movie, than I don't think many people would complain.
    Only my opinion, but origin stories chew time, unless they're central to the plot of the story. A story like CA:TFA, I don't mind so much because it was establishing a source of contrast between Cap and the Skull. Batman Begins, I didn't mind because it enriched the conflict between Batman and Ras. But I'd rather not see every villain inextricably bound up in the hero's origins. Thus, if we're soft-booting a new Batman franchise, I'd rather we get avoid the detours and spend more time on the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    From the people who brought us this current Joker? Not sure I want to see anything.

i know right jared letos joker was horrible in Suicide Squad oh wait a minute no ones seen jared letos joker yet.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    sense New 52 ruined him.
    whats worng with the new 52 Mr. Freeze?
    Last edited by choptop; 06-21-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    Christopher Nolan once commented that Penguin would be "problematic" to portray. I don't think so at all. He shouldn't be the mutant bird-man that Danny DeVito played. He is just a short, fat, and unattractive crime lord with a penchant for birds and umbrellas. DeVito was actually perfect to play him at the time he did, I just wish it hadn't been such a cartoonish take on the character. I'd like to see the Iceberg Lounge and a Penguin that controls things from a seat of power and is protected by a sea of lawyers so that Batman can never take him down in a decisive manner.
    So, more like the Oswald on Gotham but fat

Without having seen Suicide Squad let alone Batman v Superman it's hard to say what i'll want to see out of them without knowing what we will see. I'd like to see some more of the Bat family though, like Nightwing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    Darn it! why didn't I think of Two-Face?! LOL! But seriously I thought he was perfect in The Dark Knight.

Yes until the last 10 mins

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Yes until the last 10 mins
    Nah, he was still great during those last ten minutes. No, the problem with Two-Face wasn't the portrayal but the time limit. Dude should have been the big bad of a third film instead of just a throwaway villain in the last ten minutes after the Joker's capture.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    So, more like the Oswald on Gotham but fat

Without having seen Suicide Squad let alone Batman v Superman it's hard to say what i'll want to see out of them without knowing what we will see. I'd like to see some more of the Bat family though, like Nightwing.
    Tbf I can sort of understand not wanting to use the Penguin. Same reason he's taken a back seats in the comics. He's really not much more than a mobster who looks funny. Back in the day when he had the bird and umbrella silver age gimmick he was pretty awesome, but you really can't do that anymore. DeVito's freak portrayal was pretty awesome for a modern update. But I get why Nolan doesn't like it.

Tbf I can sort of understand not wanting to use the Penguin. Same reason he's taken a back seats in the comics. He's really not much more than a mobster who looks funny. Back in the day when he had the bird and umbrella silver age gimmick he was pretty awesome, but you really can't do that anymore. DeVito's freak portrayal was pretty awesome for a modern update. But I get why Nolan doesn't like it.
    How come you can't still do the bird and umbrella gimmick?
    And Penguin's the best thing in the Gotham show I think.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    How come you can't still do the bird and umbrella gimmick?
    And Penguin's the best thing in the Gotham show I think.
    It just looks lame in anytype of serious film. Unless you go so bizarre that it works in a quasi freakshow sense, like Batman Returns. But could you imagine a mob boss in Nolan's films talking to birds and shooting people with Umbrella's? As much as I like Penguin in Gotham, he's basically just a young punk on the rise with an inferiority complex.

It just looks lame in anytype of serious film. Unless you go so bizarre that it works in a quasi freakshow sense, like Batman Returns. But could you imagine a mob boss in Nolan's films talking to birds and shooting people with Umbrella's? As much as I like Penguin in Gotham, he's basically just a young punk on the rise with an inferiority complex.
    By bird gimmick I thought it was more the how he looks and walks sort of like a bird (penguin). I never really noticed him talking to birds, but then I grew up more on the films and cartoons.
    And the trick umbrella thing isn't really that far fetched. Having a sword umbrella or a one shot gun umbrella (machine gun is a bit too much) as a way of being armed without anyone knowing is cool, hell I have a cane sword I bought at a renaissance fair because who wouldn't want a cane sword? An umbrella is a similar enough thing. And the umbrella sword was used amazingly well in the Earth One OGN.