Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

That said, I'd really love Al Ewing on a Shazam book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    How did Multiversity Thunderworld sell compared to the other issues?
    08/2014: The Multiversity #1 -- 90,551
    09/2014: SoS-H: CotC-W #1 -- 65,022 (- 28.2%)
    10/2014: The Just #1 -- 53,301 (- 18.0%)
    11/2014: Pax Americana #1 -- 51,490 (- 3.4%)
    12/2014: Thunderworld #1 -- 47,714 (- 7.3%)
    01/2015: Guidebook #1 -- 38,672 (- 19.0%)
    02/2015: Mastermen #1 -- 50,091 (+ 29.5%)
    03/2015: Ultra Comics #1 -- 48,938 (- 2.3%)
    04/2015: The Multiversity #2 -- 54,275 (+ 8.4%)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    08/2014: The Multiversity #1 -- 90,551
    09/2014: SoS-H: CotC-W #1 -- 65,022 (- 28.2%)
    10/2014: The Just #1 -- 53,301 (- 18.0%)
    11/2014: Pax Americana #1 -- 51,490 (- 3.4%)
    12/2014: Thunderworld #1 -- 47,714 (- 7.3%)
    01/2015: Guidebook #1 -- 38,672 (- 19.0%)
    02/2015: Mastermen #1 -- 50,091 (+ 29.5%)
    03/2015: Ultra Comics #1 -- 48,938 (- 2.3%)
    04/2015: The Multiversity #2 -- 54,275 (+ 8.4%)
    Outside of the $7.99 Guidebook, Thunderworld was the lowest seller of the bunch. This might be a reason DC's holding off on a Shazam book. Then again the differences weren't that great Post SOS.

There will be a Shazam! book for sure. They might just wait until more information about the movie comes out, like they start casting more roles, and they might launch the book to help raise the propertie's awareness.

Astonishing Member

One point where I seem to differ drastically from fans of Shazam (as a somewhat interested observer, rather than fan) is the belief that Captain Marvel/Shazam should be used as a vehicle for superhero stories, rather than for stories with a heavy focus on magic. I like the notion that his stories act as a bridge between the superhero world and the magic work; that any forthcoming book of his should lean heavily into Shazam as a myth, or shazam as a fairytale.

The themes would be very, very different, but to me the touchstones are Journey Into Mystery (Gillen), Wicked + Divine (Gillen), Books of Magic (Gaiman), and FF (Hickman/Fraction). The wonder and possiblity of childhood, made manifest through magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    That said, I'd really love Al Ewing on a Shazam book.
    I would read the hell out of that
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

One point where I seem to differ drastically from fans of Shazam (as a somewhat interested observer, rather than fan) is the belief that Captain Marvel/Shazam should be used as a vehicle for superhero stories, rather than for stories with a heavy focus on magic. I like the notion that his stories act as a bridge between the superhero world and the magic work; that any forthcoming book of his should lean heavily into Shazam as a myth, or shazam as a fairytale.

The themes would be very, very different, but to me the touchstones are Journey Into Mystery (Gillen), Wicked + Divine (Gillen), Books of Magic (Gaiman), and FF (Hickman/Fraction). The wonder and possiblity of childhood, made manifest through magic.
    I totally agree. I would love to see more about Shazam's connection to magic

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    We'll see a Shazam book. Its inevitable.
    especially w/ the movie.

It may be 4 years away, but Shazam will get his book.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Geoff Johns has called dibs. He's one of the higher ups in DC now, so few people are going to challenge him on that. I also think he had dibs on Cyborg but he had to let that go because DC desperately needs to build Cyborg up as a solo hero.
    Probably traded Cyborg for Plastic Man since that is another character iirc was locked by a famous dc writer according to Layman.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-14-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Seriously man, you should be writing the damn thing. Johns won't touch on any of that stuff. You and Shaner, take that joint by storm.

A more "Vertigo" SHAZAM! book, with a whimsical tone.

Astonishing Member

Bat-mite and Bizarro get a comic...for 6 issues each. I hope a Shazam book will be more than a mini-series.

Incredible Member

Johns called dibs and I think he can write only one or two things at a time due to being CCO.

Bat-Mite and Bizarro are minis because they'll need something to cancel earlier than 12 months from now, but are happening because of the whole "all ages" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckdad View Post
    Bat mite and Bizarro get a comic but not Shazam?

Thats insane is it not?

I have to think there are more Shazam fans than Bat Mite lol

I really hope DC goes with a monthly Shazam series dont you folks?
    Maybe they could get Scott Lobdell to write one . . . and maybe get Rob Leifeld to come back to DC for the artwork?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by canuckdad View Post
    I totally agree. I would love to see more about Shazam's connection to magic
    I think you (and I) are in the minority there, though. A lot of dudes I really like I think feel the magic isn't really much more than the macguffin to allow the big action stuff, and I respect that opinion, even if I differ from it.

Two really classical takes on the myth just came out and I think sort of illustrated that differing viewpoint; Multiversity: Thunderworld was much more cerebral and kind of mystical/cosmic, where Convergence was much more straight-ahead superhero story. Both were good, but I know which I preferred.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Seriously man, you should be writing the damn thing. Johns won't touch on any of that stuff. You and Shaner, take that joint by storm.

A more "Vertigo" SHAZAM! book, with a whimsical tone.
    Thanks dude! That's definitely how I see it. I think Morrisons Vimanarama was sort of his attempt to do that, before Thunderworld, and that's the kind of tone I'd like to see.

Perhaps one day!