Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Default Geoff John's Green Lantern (trade) reading order?

Hiya, so having completed my Morrison run in trades for his batman epic, well all the pre52 stuff was in trades I have Batman Incorporated new52 in floppy form.
    So, there was a sale on Amazon UK and I managed to snag Green Lantern Vol 1 & 2 from the new 52. And then I read like Morrison this continued from the pre-52.
    So my question is, can someone give me the entire Johns reading order in trade's (both pre and current 52) thanks!

oh whilst I was on Amazon I found this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Lanter...antern+omnibus
    does this cover is entire run, or at least half of it? considering it say "1"

Oh and can folks only recommend the essential trade's required for this run as I'm on a budget. Thanks and enjoy the rest of your bank holiday

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Lanter...antern+omnibus
    does this cover is entire run, or at least half of it? considering it say "1"
    No it's not his entire run, not sure it's half of it though it looks like a good chunk of it.

As a Geoff Johns GL fan, off the top of my head there was bringing GL back in rebirth and the One Year later jump, then building up the Sinestro Corps and then the Sinestro Corp Wars. Those were probably my favorite. Really good drama and intrigue. Looks like that all fits in omnibus #1 if it ends at 25 that's where DC Wikia says was the Sinestro Corps War finale.

I liked Blackest Night too but the tie-ins got bloated though. DC had let Sinestro Corps War go on without corporate notice as they were trying to promote some other big thing that year despite SCW being better but Blackest Night was hyped up as their big event for it's year. War of Light was a battle between the corps that lead to Brightest Day which isn't all in continuity anymore as some of the returned-from-the-dead no longer exist. Along the way you meet some cool characters like the Blue Lantern corps and Larfleeze. I liked the way he expanded the universe.
    I will say I thought the First Lantern arc was a bit dragged out to me though.

I found a trade list:
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_4
    Collections:
    Green Lantern: No Fear
    Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns (2006)
    Green Lantern: Wanted: Hal Jordan (2007)

Edit: this is I think where the "Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War" collections fit in that have both GL and GLC issues in them

Green Lantern: Secret Origin (2008)
    Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns (2009)
    Green Lantern: Agent Orange (2009)
    Blackest Night: Green Lantern (2010)
    Brightest Day: Green Lantern (2011)
    Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns (2011)

If you can't afford much, I'd go with the Sinestro Corps wars. Hal vs Sinestro is pretty classic.
    http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-.../dp/1401216501
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 05-26-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Thanks for this!! This is really helpful (thumbs up).

Quick Question do you think its worth continuing the main GL book in the new 52 once I've finished John's run?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Maybe. I ended up leaving do to low money and not liking the New 52 in general but that doesn't mean you'll have the same opinion.

I have a budget for only a few comics and Young Avengers started up again as did Astro City and there were some writers being bounced off titles in the New52 so I left in a huff and figured when Geoff left was a good ending point for me. I can't say whether that's a true indicator of quality, maybe someone who has stuck with it can say.

Fair enough, as a new comic book reader the new 52 was perfect for me. Yeah I can only afford 5-6 titles a month atm. Any extra money I do have I buy trades. So I may test out GL Volume 4:dark days and see what's what.

Right, the trade reading order is long, and it's actually best read out of order. Here's the official trade order;

Rebirth
    No Fear
    Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    Wanted: Hal Jordan
    Sinestro Corps War
    Secret Origin
    Rage of the Red Lanterns
    Agent Orange
    Blackest Night
    Blackest Night: Green Lantern
    Green Lantern: Brightest Day
    War of the Green Lanterns
    Sinestro
    Revenge of the Black Hand
    Rise of the Third Army
    Wrath of the First Lantern

However Rebirth is a bit of a dizzying introduction as that itself is seeped in a decade's worth of continuity. Start with Secret Origin instead (in fact you can swap them over in the reading order). With Blackest Night, you will definitely want to read both the main mini and the Green Lantern tie-ins, as that's the complete story. You can read the GLC tie-ins too if you want, but that's only really necessary if you're interested in GLC. Lastly Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern are both collected in Volume 3: The End, but that's purely the Green Lantern issues, so doesn't have the crucial GLC Annual that ties the two events together. Also Baz crosses over from Green Lantern 16 to GLC 16, so that's also missing. You're better off getting the big Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern collections that have all the tie-ins in.

However there are also a number of ancillary titles that run alongside the main Green Lantern run. Let me know if you're interested in that too and I'll help you out, but I won't bog this reply down in too much information and overwhelm you. The extra titles aren't strictly necessary other than where I've noted above, so that's completely up to you.

As for Venditti's run post-Johns. It's not great, especially to begin with. It's only just starting to get into its stride almost a year later. It's gone from the best of the four titles to the worst. If you want to continue, I'd advise considering New Guardians or Red Lanterns in it's place as they're the creme de la creme of the franchise right now.
    Last edited by PyroSikTh; 05-26-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    Thanks for this!! This is really helpful (thumbs up).

Quick Question do you think its worth continuing the main GL book in the new 52 once I've finished John's run?
    Overall I'd say the books are in better shape since Johns and the rest of the creative teams ended their respective runs. Red Lanterns, and Green Lantern Corps are all top of pile reading for me nowadays, main GL is also good but not quite up there.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Need to book mark this page.

Off to a great start managed to snag Green Lantern Secret Origin for £2.81 new off Amazon . Already have the main Blackest Night book and have Green Lantern v1:Sinestro and Green Lantern v2: Revenge of the black hand.

Was planning to complete my DCAU BD Library. Guess that'll have wait, they're not exactly going anywhere.