Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Jim Gordon's private life (Spoilers I guess)

Hey guys, I guess I'm not a hardcore fan.. the only Batman book i read is Batman, so sometimes i wonder if I missed something that happened in another title like batman eternal or something.

Batman 41 Spoilers:

At the end of the issue, now that we know he's the new Batman, we find out hes living in an apartment that they say will be his "cave". HIt doesn't say anything about this, but when I read it, I got the impression that he was living there alone, Did something happen to his family that I missed or forgot about? Maybe they are living there with him, but it didn't seem that way.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1drman View Post
    Hey guys, I guess I'm not a hardcore fan.. the only Batman book i read is Batman, so sometimes i wonder if I missed something that happened in another title like batman eternal or something.

Batman 41 Spoilers:

At the end of the issue, now that we know he's the new Batman, we find out hes living in an apartment that they say will be his "cave". HIt doesn't say anything about this, but when I read it, I got the impression that he was living there alone, Did something happen to his family that I missed or forgot about? Maybe they are living there with him, but it didn't seem that way.
    I thought his wife moved away with their son. I believe it was Cleveland or Chicago they were said to have moved to.It was mentioned in one of the earlier arcs.

I think he's pretty much lived alone since the new 52(Barbara was already moved out by Batgirl #1 and he was divorced by then, and james jr. was in prison at that point I think).

Amazing Member

thanks a lot guys. i hadn't realized they were divorced.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Yeah, she reappears in their lives after having (been) run off years before, but Barbara doesn't really hook back up with Jim, that I'd noticed, mostly just bugged her daughter.

In other news: I miss Essen.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member

Is Essen still cannon in the new 52 (and the end of No Mans Land?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    Is Essen still cannon in the new 52 (and the end of No Mans Land?)
    Pretty sure she's gone entirely, but Jim definitely never remarried after Barbara.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Yeah, she reappears in their lives after having (been) run off years before, but Barbara doesn't really hook back up with Jim, that I'd noticed, mostly just bugged her daughter.
    And then the Joker (or was it Little Jimmy?) chopped off her finger . . . good times.

Incredible Member

Pretty sure she's gone entirely, but Jim definitely never remarried after Barbara.
    Are we *sure* Essen has gone entirely? it would be a shame if we were, because I loved the exploration of their relationship and pretty much all of NO MAN'S LAND.

I never was a huge fan of Barbara (senior ) I have to be honest.

Cheers.

James.

At the moment, it looks pretty clear there's no Essen in the post-Flashpoint continuity. It was said in Simone's Batgirl that Jim Gordon never re-married after Barbara left him and the kids, and there's been no mention of Essen or an infidelity on the part of Jim that I can recall.

Whether she gets re-introduced at some point may be another story, but I'm not aware of any mentions / hints of Essen being there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Are we *sure* Essen has gone entirely? it would be a shame if we were, because I loved the exploration of their relationship and pretty much all of NO MAN'S LAND.

I never was a huge fan of Barbara (senior ) I have to be honest.

Cheers.

James.
    yeah she was removed completely

and what was done afterwards with Barbara Sr was abominable, hope she is never even mentioned in a comic again

However it would be pretty damn cool to have Essen reintroduced on the new arc though the whole ¨Jim cheat on his wife¨ original story is kind of a shame to miss, it really made him a flawed human character.

For all Frank Miller gets criticized for, I think it's worth noting just how good to Jim Gordon Miller's comics have been, and, really, to Babs (who he did consider trying to fit into Y1 after forgetting her and was advised against) when he brought her around for All-Star. The Gordons are presented compassionately and crisply, as a very human family. Even Barbara gets a better showing, but that's just because her other showings are... strained, inane, hysterical idiot, for the most part, or background face #4.

For all Frank Miller gets criticized for, I think it's worth noting just how good to Jim Gordon Miller's comics have been, . . .
    Well, he got face-time / attention, but I'm not sure if adding "cheated on his wife" is all that great for the character's résumé.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I guess part of the problem with reintroducing Essen at this point would be that her role within the GCPD has pretty much been taken over in the intervening years by Maggie Sawyer. The opening in Jim's personal life is still there, true, but you kind of need both, because of the workplace romance part of their story.

So first you'd have to find a niche in the police department for her where she and Maggie didn't make each other redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, he got face-time / attention, but I'm not sure if adding "cheated on his wife" is all that great for the character's résumé.
    I do.

I think it opened the character up a lot, as a human being and not just a prop.