Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

I don't mind him staying longer on the title, he did not overstay his welcome in my humble opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    If I could pick who takes on Daredevil after Waid it would def be Dan Slott.
    I'm interested in seeing how Peter David would tackle the character.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I'd love to see PAD get an Amazing run, and he's very experienced with the character, his mythos, and the supporting cast, but I don't see Marvel giving him a shot on the book .

And while I know PAD enjoys Spidey, I don't think he'd want the hassle of taking on a big book like Amazing that would be subject to a lot more editorial influence, mandates, and involvement in events than a side title where he might have more freedom like 2099 and X-Factor. He can tie-in to events well, which speaks to his skills as a writer, but I doubt he'd want to be subject to being knee-deep in either constructing them or putting Peter through them that being on Amazing might entail.

BANNED

Why would any writer leave a book that is a guaranteed seller? You could get a monkey with a cray-on writing a Spider-man or Batman book and the fans would buy it. It's easy money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Why would any writer leave a book that is a guaranteed seller? You could get a monkey with a cray-on writing a Spider-man or Batman book and the fans would buy it. It's easy money.
    No title is a "guaranteed seller". Any title can tank if enough fans aren't enjoying a writer's take on a character.

I've given Slott's writing shit lately, but now looking back its not his writing I mind. They're all entertaining reads. I think the reason I've been annoyed since the end of the last volume of ASM is there just hasn't been anything going on for Pete.
    Superior Spider-Man which i really didn't care for happened. Then we got a Spider-Man arc. then we go to Spider-Verse. THen another arc. Then we go to RYV. Just hasn't felt like a cohesive storyline for Peter. More of an event every other day. I'd rather some stories pertaining to Peter more and not just trying to be an event book. When Slott started big time I was in love with the book. hopefully it gets back on that track. when slott is writing like that he's amazing.

BANNED

There's life, beyond money. A writer, like any other person, might eventually grow tired, of doing the same thing, for a prolonged enough, amount of time.

Incredible Member

Why would any writer leave a book that is a guaranteed seller?
    Spider-Man is a "guaranteed seller" in that Marvel will always have a Spider-Man title in their roster. It's been that way since the beginning. While titles like THOR, DOCTOR STRANGE, and even the X-MEN have had periods where their characters didn't have a book of their own on the racks, that is not the case with Spidey.

You could get a monkey with a cray-on writing a Spider-man or Batman book and the fans would buy it. It's easy money.
    Yes, SPIDER-MAN is a guaranteed seller. But that said, it is not a guaranteed top seller-- or a guaranteed sustained top seller. The title has spent time out of the Top 10 and even the Top 25. There have been lengthy times where the book hasn't performed well. If someone were to treat the book lightly and make the assumption that even "a monkey with a crayon" could write it-- or Batman, well... that would be a pretty foolish belief to cling to and very far from the truth.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 06-25-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I have reasons to believe that Dan Slott will still be on ASM because he still has three important story plotlines to complete:

The Anna Maria Hollogram story arc
    The Alchemex story arc
    The Black Cat story arc

Yep. I do not see Nick Lowe changing anything relating to Dan Slott's run on ASM. Afterall, when an Editor says that he's a fan of Dan Slott, you know that he'll do everything to make the writers satisfied. The only way that I will believe that Slott's leaving is when we see the return of Doc Ock; The Kingpin, and Norman Osborn......

And for that matter, the return of Myphisto....
    I'll rather Slott left the Black Cat alone, so that we don't see any more of her until a future writer brings her back undoes all the damage Slott did to her character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z View Post
    I'll rather Slott left the Black Cat alone, so that we don't see any more of her until a future writer brings her back undoes all the damage Slott did to her character.
    The comic has hinted (more than once) that Black Cat's change of attitude could be related to her luck powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z View Post
    Or Slott can undo it himself.
    He's not the first writer to damage her.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I would love to see Slott on DD.
    I'd love THE SHIT outta that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Spider-Man is a "guaranteed seller" in that Marvel will always have a Spider-Man title in their roster. It's been that way since the beginning. While titles like THOR, DOCTOR STRANGE, and even the X-MEN have had periods where their characters didn't have a book of their own on the racks, that is not the case with Spidey.

Yes, SPIDER-MAN is a guaranteed seller. But that said, it is not a guaranteed top seller-- or a guaranteed sustained top seller. The title has spent time out of the Top 10 and even the Top 25. There have been lengthy times where the book hasn't performed well. If someone were to treat the book lightly and make the assumption that even "a monkey with a crayon" could write it-- or Batman, well... that would be a pretty foolish belief to cling to and very far from the truth.
    Damn straight. There were some seriously horrible Spider-Man years in the 90s and the ASM relaunch before JMS took over was really bad.
    It won't happen overnight, but consistently bad story-telling will lead to a drop in sales over time.
    As far as you (Slott) taking over on Daredevil after Waid leaves, I think that might be a good fit. I feel you and Waid often bring a little bit of "fun" to your storytelling, and while I personally loved the "darker" DD tales from Bendis and Brubaker, I've dug Waid's run since he started (and the last few issues have been out of this world).
    If Marvel asks, please think about it!

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    If I could pick who takes on Daredevil after Waid it would def be Dan Slott.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I wonder if Rick Remender has ever been offered Spider-Man.
    I would love it if both of these things happen

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Depends. I think he's consistently solid, occasionally peeking his head into terrific (No One Dies, the first issue or two of Spider-Verse, the first issue of Renew Your Vows; though maybe I'm biased because those feel more modern compared to the old-school style that's dominated what I've read of his Spidey, including Superior), he sure as hell loves the character, and certainly if the marriage sticks I'd be good with seeing him explore it further for a little while. I think his best stuff though - from what I've read of his at least, which is admittedly a pretty limited cross-selection - is where he's working a little more out-of-the-way. With She-Hulk you could really feel him putting his all into it to prove himself and stake his territory, and Silver Surfer has a pretty similar vibe to it, especially the last several issues. The plot threads still hanging are pretty minor ones, and with having done Superior, Spider-Verse and what's being billed as The Last Spider-Man Story that seems like it's either going to complete or shatter his evolution into a functioning adult, it seems like if there's a time for Slott to move on, it's now while he's as on top as he's likely to be again. At the end of the day, he's had a good long run on his favorite character with lasting repercussions, and I'd prefer to see him try something different and fresh. I think at this point I'd massively prefer Waid, Aaron or Ewing on the title.
    Buh-bye

Slott started off great, but I think he's been running a bit on empty since Superior wrapped up. He's serviceable I guess - no matter how outrageously off the mark he's been on some characters (mainly Black Cat) - but I'd love to see the book get shaken up with a new writer.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«