Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Default effigy discussion

Didn't see a thread for this VERTIGO book (if there is one, feel free to merge this).

Anybody else reading this book?

I had seen a preview a few months back; I was interested in the premise, didn't plan on getting it though.....is it worth reading?
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

I'm reading it, its pretty good.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

I like it. I like it a lot.
    It’s little too all over the place but that is part of its charm.

I just finished reading The Names. Vertigo has some good titles people should be reading!

And now Effigy is cancelled. Issue #7 is the last issue. http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/958

Really disappointed about this, one of my favorite reads every month.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    And now Effigy is cancelled. Issue #7 is the last issue. http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/958

Really disappointed about this, one of my favorite reads every month.
    Oh wow, I wonder what happened there. I thought it would at least run for its planned 12 issue run.
    Well, I hope it all gets released in a single trade paperback then.

I thought it was a pretty unique take with the child star acting as a kids cop, becoming an actual cop in her adulthood.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Oh wow, I wonder what happened there. I thought it would at least run for its planned 12 issue run.
    Well, I hope it all gets released in a single trade paperback then.

I thought it was a pretty unique take with the child star acting as a kids cop, becoming an actual cop in her adulthood.
    Yeah, it's weird. Almost all Vertigo series are ending/cancelled, so something must be happening (I'd guess a relaunch but who knows). I was hoping the stop on Effigy and Suiciders were just delays, at least Suiciders isn't confirmed as cancelled yet.

Bummer, I really liked first two issues and was hoping to catch up :/

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyCA View Post
    I just finished reading The Names. Vertigo has some good titles people should be reading!
    I read the first couple issues of this or so, but wanted to read it all in one trade. I did really like the first issue though, and the covers for most of the issues are very nice looking. I think Names would make a great live-action movie, or a TV series on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    Yeah, it's weird. Almost all Vertigo series are ending/cancelled, so something must be happening (I'd guess a relaunch but who knows). I was hoping the stop on Effigy and Suiciders were just delays, at least Suiciders isn't confirmed as cancelled yet.
    I did notice a decline of Vertigo titles on the recent DC solicits. There were a few there, but they just felt like add-ons to DC's overall lineup rather than its own Vertigo comics section. The Vertigo titles almost felt nonexistent alongside the mostly DC only solicits.

One thing I really found interesting with Effigy was how the main character would talk to the audience every now and then. It reminded me of shows like Modern Family, The Office, and Park & Recreation. I'm not sure if any other comics also do that, but it was something I liked seeing in Effigy, especially since the main character was a former TV star which fits in with the documentary styled elements of those types of TV shows.

I'm glad The Names and Kitchen were able to complete their runs without any problems/cancellations, and Names even got to extend its original issue count.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa