Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    One side wants to play games that reinforce their prejudices (ex. Hatred). That same side thinks harassment and caping for Neo-nazis and pedophiles is a-okay. They want gaming to consist of bland, boring, brown-gray-brown games which just do the same crap over and over again. They are ashamed of their own hobby and when others don't share that shame they get real mad. They have to show how "mature" they are, see. Video games are art, but they shouldn't be criticized like all art is because they're just games! Icky outsiders (who were there making and playing these games all along) should just shut up and go away, apparently. Unless if they'll tell them what they want to hear, that is. They did a fine job ensuring that the major game publishers can keep on fleecing their 'loyal customers' though.
    All I am seeing is both sides whining like 14 year olds (which is ironic), both claiming victimhood, and have a ton of Paetrons out there for people to contribute to, because they are delicate snowflakes and can't support themselves because of muh feels.
    They are both gaggles of man children.

If you're talking about the Batgirl cover, the artist chose to take it down and the author agreed with it. Maybe they shouldn't have drawn a variant that had nothing to do with the current tone of the book, a cover that wasn't really drawn for characters like Batman. Or do you mean the Spider-Woman cover? Either way, DC and Marvel want to get more women to read their comics. Maybe thinking about how they show women in their works is a good start.
    Nope, talking about the legendary Milo Manara deciding to grace himself with putting pen to paper for a stupid super-hero comic cover, and people losing their damn minds and acting like he was driving a cattle car in Poland in the 1930's Germany.
    You don't want to read something? Don't buy it. Full stop.

Seinfeld basically said "Oh my DUMB 14 year old daughter doesn't know what she's talking about. Only I do." because she had the gall to tell him not to assume why she doesn't obsess over boys. At leas that's what I remember his complaint being about. Some comedians sure are thin-skinned though. They want to joke about anything and everything, but they don't ever want anyone to argue with them about it. They want a passive audience who laughs when they're told.
    Yeah, 14 year old kids ARE generally stupid when it comes to real life. Just a fact of life.
    Comedians are there to poke holes and help you look at things with laughter. This crop of progressives, or SJW's are the most humorless bunch of people I have ever ecountered, like 1984 humorless. Youtube is full of those 'aspiring' stand-up comics that are painfully unfunny.
    Their heads would explode if they lived during the heyday of Richard Pryor or George Carlin.

I was a STEM major. You know what I was making until very recently? Just above minimum wage. Most students these days don't even do Liberal Arts majors and yet a good chunk of them still can't find jobs. The Gender Studies argument is one I keep hearing about online but yet it's not usually what I run into. Also not seeing what's wrong with Gender Studies.
    Nothing wrong with it, I guess, but I don't really see a big market for that. Unless you plan on blogging and tweeting all day and hope people contribute to your paetron or gofundme.
    I was a STEM graduate, and I see tons of jobs in my area for my field, constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    With this and the demand for 'trigger warnings' for mythology, I can only shake my head at the future. A lot of special snowflakes are going to be in for a big surprise when reality hits them.
    I guess they could start up Paetron accounts and hope people donate to them, I guess.
    We're pretty much seeing the results of the self esteem generation. The kids that were told they are all special and perfect, even if they never did a thing to earn praise. Their parents were people who think disciplining children is tantamount to child abuse.

Now they are in college and are freaking out because they're world view is being challenged.
    Life is but a dream

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    We're pretty much seeing the results of the self esteem generation. The kids that were told they are all special and perfect, even if they never did a thing to earn praise. Their parents were people who think disciplining children is tantamount to child abuse.

Now they are in college and are freaking out because they're world view is being challenged.
    It's always odd hearing people talk about the current generation as if we are all some monolithic group. I could say that the previous generation loved conformity and marched lockstep with whatever their leaders told them. Three strikes was a great idea. Bomb those terrorists over there so we don't have to fight them over here. Greed is good. Yada yada.

It's always odd hearing people talk about the current generation as if we are all some monolithic group. I could say that the previous generation loved conformity and marched lockstep with whatever their leaders told them. Three strikes was a great idea. Bomb those terrorists over there so we don't have to fight them over here. Greed is good. Yada yada.
    Its pretty obvious we aren't talking about every single person of this generation. But enough of them are raised in such a way that college campuses are becoming frighteningly toxic to free speech. A place that used to be a bastion for it.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

And they are actively trying to change the view, even if it means rewriting history.
    Then you have indentity politics come into play, where if you 'identify' black, or a woman because you feel like that on the inside, that you should be automatically accepted.
    Women have it hard and the work they have to do to be accepted in men's fields is the result of decades of that work. A dude waking up one day and deciding he is a woman and doing nothing but emphasizing the stereotypes of a woman (pretty clothes, fashion, etc) just seems very insulting.
    But, hell, what do I know. I'm not a woman or a dude that wants to be one.

BANNED

Its pretty obvious we aren't talking about every single person of this generation. But enough of them are raised in such a way that college campuses are becoming frighteningly toxic to free speech. A place that used to be a bastion for it.
    I hope it is just the tumblr/twitter faction that acts like that, because GOOD LORD.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Great news. This was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of in my life although sadly there is far too much of this happening in the world. People are offended by the least little thing nowadays. I hope both the parents and the girl learned something from this. I hope the parents learn to let their daughter handle her own life and I hope the daughter learns a bit of maturity.
    I've read that the father has a meeting scheduled with the University's board (or whatever the powers that be), so I kinda doubt they're going to be letting this one go in a hurry.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Nope, talking about the legendary Milo Manara deciding to grace himself with putting pen to paper for a stupid super-hero comic cover, and people losing their damn minds and acting like he was driving a cattle car in Poland in the 1930's Germany.
    You don't want to read something? Don't buy it. Full stop.
    Well, no. We're allowed to criticize shit, too, even if we don't pay for a copy.

And, with that, in particular, there were people screeching full volume if you dared to criticize it on any level. Because not liking a lazy, poorly considered piece of art from a man who can do better is tantamount to hating freedom and opening Dauchau. Same with the Batgirl cover that was pulled, or whatever homage to the Manara piece Cho drew this week. Or, the dumber parts of any Gaiman or Moore comic, really.

As you say, the bs crying comes from all ends of the spectrum.

It's not even the majority of people, I think, it's just that the loudest people are often the ones who can't stand any other voices. Which, might even be more depressing.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Well, no. We're allowed to criticize shit, too, even if we don't pay for a copy.

And, with that, in particular, there were people screeching full volume if you dared to criticize it on any level. Because not liking a lazy, poorly considered piece of art from a man who can do better is tantamount to hating freedom and opening Dauchau. Same with the Batgirl cover that was pulled, or whatever homage to the Manara piece Cho drew this week. Or, the dumber parts of any Gaiman or Moore comic, really.

It's not even the majority of people, I think, it's just that the loudest people are often the ones who can't stand any other voices. Which, might even be more depressing.
    The only thing that offended me about the Manara cover is the fact that, yeah, he CAN do better. But, otherwise? No, I didn't see the problem. The character wears a full body suit, that previous artists basically drew naked and had the colorists fill in the colors.
    Manara is a big name in Europe, and the fact that Marvel got him to do a super-hero cover is impressive.
    I am all for criticism, believe me. But sites like the Mary Sue and FemFreq twitter is crossing into exactly what I saw from the Right wing in the 90s. Condemnation and moral outrage for outrage's sake.
    I guess I am just an old Gen X lefty that kind of shakes my head at some of this stuff.
    Last edited by Darrell D.; 06-16-2015 at 05:06 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

Except most people weren't actually criticizing those pieces for being bad art. They were criticizing them for violating some amorphous sociopolitical orthodoxy and claiming that, because the art violated that code, it should not be allowed to exist. And, in response, most of the counter arguments weren't necessarily defenses of the actual art, per se, but of the idea of freedom to create art, even art that pisses some people off.
    Last edited by kalorama; 06-16-2015 at 05:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Except most people weren't actually criticizing those pieces for being bad art. They were criticizing them for violating some amorphous sociopolitical orthodoxy and claiming that, because the art violated that code, it should not be allowed to exist. And, in response, most of the counter arguments weren't necessarily defenses of the actual art, per se, but of the idea of freedom to create art, even art that pisses some people off.
    Yeah, exactly. Said much more better than me. A lot of this borders or even crosses over to the outrage I remember seeing in the 90s concerning video games, music, movies, etc.
    It is a bad road to travel.

Colleges only tolerate 'free speech' until it becomes an actual threat to social peace. That was shown during Kent State, Paris '68, and the recent crackdowns on students throughout the world.

BANNED

Colleges only tolerate 'free speech' until it becomes an actual threat to social peace. That was shown during Kent State, Paris '68, and the recent crackdowns on students throughout the world.
    Can you provide some examples of free speech being oppressed in colleges, in our time?

And they are actively trying to change the view, even if it means rewriting history.
    Then you have indentity politics come into play, where if you 'identify' black, or a woman because you feel like that on the inside, that you should be automatically accepted.
    Women have it hard and the work they have to do to be accepted in men's fields is the result of decades of that work. A dude waking up one day and deciding he is a woman and doing nothing but emphasizing the stereotypes of a woman (pretty clothes, fashion, etc) just seems very insulting.
    But, hell, what do I know. I'm not a woman or a dude that wants to be one.
    The stereotypes you're decrying were around way before Jennings decided to come out and transition. If she's reinforcing them on that Vanity Fair cover, what about all the ads, comic book covers (like Manara's), and the like which objectify women?

Can you provide some examples of free speech being oppressed in colleges, in our time?
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/world/...sts/index.html
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/0...121655496.html
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...test-1.3005459