Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't think it matters what approach Diana uses. I really don't see how Donna Troy can be redeemed. I was really disappointed with how the story panned out in the annual. Donna Troy isn't just some naive young girl. Based solely on her actions to this point, she's a flat out war criminal. She led an attack that slaughtered a bunch of innocent, unarmed men. And those men happened to be the brothers and sons of their fellow Amazons, which makes it even more egregious. If Donna was manipulated into do it, there hasn't been a very good explanation of how. There's no question that she needs to be redeemed, but I'm not sure it's even possible at this point.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Its gonna have to be retconned by someone else that its not truly "her" in there, that the true spirit of the child is sleeping within somewhere and that's truly Donna. Its the only out I can think of now that Derinoe is dead.

But apparently as of now no one outside of our little group here sees this as a big deal, because they're just trucking along. I don't keep up with sales but I'm assuming they're not tanking.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Well now let's not be hasty.

While I loathe the storyline, the truth is that in Xena Warrior Princess you had a lead character who was introduced as a villain, who had killed hundreds of innocnt people as a warlord, and yet who found a redemption and status as pop culture icon.

The thing really working against Donna here is not what she did, but that so many people remember her character before this was written. I think a lot of the hate is based as much on her replacing the Donna so many of love as her actual actions in the story.

And of course another big difference is that Xena's redemption came about from people having faith in her ability to be better [namely Hercules and Gabrielle] and not locking her in a cell a leaving her to rot except when you show up to call her names.

That is actually more reminiscent of the character Callisto from Xena. Who, if I recall, was thrown into solitary confinement and surprised nobody when she completely failed to rehabilitate.

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like that Diana is trying to redeem her former enemy Donna. That speaks true to Diana's creation by Marston. So apparently, there is an in-story reason for the costume change as Diana isn't automatically wearing it at the the start of this story. Hopefully that means the costume-change is short-lived.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I like that Diana is trying to redeem her former enemy Donna. That speaks true to Diana's creation by Marston. So apparently, there is an in-story reason for the costume change as Diana isn't automatically wearing it at the the start of this story. Hopefully that means the costume-change is short-lived.
    Yeah, well...I've been hoping that for over three years now...
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yeah, well...I've been hoping that for over three years now...

In regards to Diana's costume?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. Bring on the gold and the red boots - and I don't mean this newest version.

BANNED

It's not like Wonder Woman dumped Donna in an oubliette like some here would have you believe. Her cell is well-lit and perhaps there's a flat screen and a chaise longue in there we don't see. This Woman commit genocide so I don't think she's earned such luxuries. Where else would the barbarians hold Donna. And while I agree the dialogue is rubbish, at least it seems like Wonder Woman's paying regular visits to give Donna some lassotherapy so that's good.

The artwork is as bad as always, I cannot wait to see the back of D.Finch and his wife, this Wonder Woman is super lame
    Last edited by Aula_Magna; 06-16-2015 at 06:19 AM.

BANNED

Chiang's costume was lovely mostly because the woman wearing it pulled it off so well. I loved her long, loose, just-over-the-knee equestrian boots, that was fantastic-looking pair of boots, seriously she looked great

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aula_Magna View Post
    Chiang's costume was lovely mostly because the woman wearing it pulled it off so well. I loved her long, loose, just-over-the-knee equestrian boots, that was fantastic-looking pair of boots, seriously she looked great
    You are talking about the boots that if she kneed a person, the pointed tip could take an eye out?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    You are talking about the boots that if she kneed a person, the pointed tip could take an eye out?
    Them's the ones! Sharper than a pair of Jim Aparo Batman ears

Last edited by brettc1; 06-16-2015 at 06:45 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Yeah I love those boots and it's a shame that other artists didn't draw them like that. Wonder Woman never looked so good

BANNED

In Chiang we trust, the man has impeccable taste

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well now let's not be hasty.

While I loathe the storyline, the truth is that in Xena Warrior Princess you had a lead character who was introduced as a villain, who had killed hundreds of innocnt people as a warlord, and yet who found a redemption and status as pop culture icon.

The thing really working against Donna here is not what she did, but that so many people remember her character before this was written. I think a lot of the hate is based as much on her replacing the Donna so many of love as her actual actions in the story.

And of course another big difference is that Xena's redemption came about from people having faith in her ability to be better [namely Hercules and Gabrielle] and not locking her in a cell a leaving her to rot except when you show up to call her names.

That is actually more reminiscent of the character Callisto from Xena. Who, if I recall, was thrown into solitary confinement and surprised nobody when she completely failed to rehabilitate.

Seriously.

I actually empathized more with Callisto than I did with Xena. I mean, Xena didn't even have a half-decent reason for going psycho on the entire world. She fought off a warlord and lost her brother in the fight? Well, my condolences, Xena. But how does losing your brother translate to you justifying going on a rampage and depriving a whole lot of other people of their brothers, fathers, friends, etc?

Callisto, on the other hand? How could she NOT go insane? She was a young girl who had her life and her innocence brutally ripped away from her by one woman's selfishness. Then? She had to survive being homeless, with no family to protect her in Ancient Greece. Obviously, the show didn't go into details on it since it was a family show, but I used to voraciously read Xena fanfics, and plenty of writers had quite a few things to say about what young Callisto likely went through after her village was destroyed. It wouldn't have been pretty. And once you add in the fact that literally NONE of the heroes in the show seemed even slightly interested in seriously trying to reform her? Callisto was pretty much screwed. Even Hercules didn't even try. He reformed a woman who, of her own free will, decided to become a mass murderer for no good reason, but he won't even TRY to reform one of her victims, who was driven insane by the cruelties of this world? Guess Herc only tries to reform crazy women who sleep with him. That's literally the only difference between his encounters with Xena and his encounters with Callisto.

But, yes. Locking Donna up by herself and lecturing to her every once in a while is not going to reform her. Donna needs to understand WHY it was wrong of her to do what she did. She needs to understand that men aren't evil and that their lives are just as precious as any Amazons. She needs to see the good that people do in the world. She needs to understand why her actions were in the wrong.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 06-16-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Donna seems pretty guilt ridden in that preview. She refers to herself as a monster and talks of her 'bathing in the blood of innocents' so she must realise on some level what she did was wrong.