Default Home Theatre, Networking and Storage

...Data Storage, that is (you take your darn sweaters somewhere else).

For questions, thoughts and comments on home A/V systems; wireless and wired networking in the home; multi-media hardware and storage; device interconnectivity; and connectivity software, including mobile apps.

So, I use an old laptop as my NAS to store all my photos, videos, movies and music. And I use Plex for HTPC and streaming - and now that it supports Chromecast, that's what I use for screencasting as well.

I have a question for anyone who might be familiar with the Plex for Android app. I'm trying to watch a movie, with subtitles in an srt file. Plex Home Theater sees the subtitles, but I can't cast the 'titles when wirelessly casting via my Chromecast. What am I doing wrong?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    So, I use an old laptop as my NAS to store all my photos, videos, movies and music. And I use Plex for HTPC and streaming - and now that it supports Chromecast, that's what I use for screencasting as well.

I have a question for anyone who might be familiar with the Plex for Android app. I'm trying to watch a movie, with subtitles in an srt file. Plex Home Theater sees the subtitles, but I can't cast the 'titles when wirelessly casting via my Chromecast. What am I doing wrong?
    I am not familiar with the Chromecast. When you say the Android app, what device are you watching the streaming on?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cunard View Post
    I am not familiar with the Chromecast. When you say the Android app, what device are you watching the streaming on?
    I'm using my HTC EVO 4G to 'cast the mp4 file from the laptop (which acts as the Plex media server) to my LG TV via the Chromecast. So all transcoding etc is processed on the android phone by the app.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

For file storage and streaming, I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REALLY fantastic. Very impressed with its speed and reliability. There's a newer version that has even more functions. I threw 4 two TB drives in there and am very happy.

We have one for the CBR office, too, with 4 four TB drives in it. Did have one drive fail and was able to fix that very easily.

Best out of the box raid system I've ever used.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    For file storage and streaming, I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REALLY fantastic. Very impressed with its speed and reliability. There's a newer version that has even more functions. I threw 4 two TB drives in there and am very happy.

We have one for the CBR office, too, with 4 four TB drives in it. Did have one drive fail and was able to fix that very easily.

Best out of the box raid system I've ever used.
    That's a pretty reasonable price. Do you have any idea what kind of power consumption it has?