Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 418
  1. #376
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    2,454

    Default

    Honestly, everything from that era not written by Waid or Kelly was trash. Even Slott didn't really pick up the quality until he took over full time.
    Cyclops was right

  2. #377
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Slott was pretty much the MVP of that era and was consistently putting out all the best stuff, which is what landed him the regular writing gig when the era ended
    That makes me wonder, did any of the other writters bring something interesting? Like, was it someone else who created Mr Negative?

  3. #378
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Even Slott didn't really pick up the quality until he took over full time.
    Not even then

  4. #379
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Honestly, everything from that era not written by Waid or Kelly was trash. Even Slott didn't really pick up the quality until he took over full time.

    Opinions vary.
    I think the team of writers of Brand New Day were awesome and gave a fast pacing tone to the stries and variety provided by diferent writers.
    Sure there were some sub plots that took some time to be resolved due the writers rotating in the team,but even that was not a issue to me because Amazing Spider-Man was being published three times a month.
    Bob Gale stories were not as good as Dan Slott stories or Joe Kelly but even if Gale stories were not as memorable as the other writers the stories were still a fun read and in the spirit of the Brand New Day tone in the stories.And i think the reason why Gale stories were not as good as the other writers is because he did not had so much experience writing stories as the others,even so they were entertaining.
    Dan Slott stories right from the first story arc in BND that have the first apearence of Mister Negative have been always sound.I think the only story of Dan Slott that did not impressed me much was the Molten Man story arc in BND.
    Marc Guggenheim stories wrote the most sophisticated stories of BND,with the plots being quite intriguing.
    Zeb Wells wrote just a couple of stories but the ones he wrote were great.(See the sometimes snow in April story arc)

  5. #380
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    It's kind of interesting for all of people complaints against Mr. Slott many of which are valid he actually pitched the return of the marriage in 2015 but got repeatedly shot down.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  6. #381
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    It's kind of interesting for all of people complaints against Mr. Slott many of which are valid he actually pitched the return of the marriage in 2015 but got repeatedly shot down.
    I do find that very ironic.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  7. #382
    Mighty Member Vworp Vworp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    It's kind of interesting for all of people complaints against Mr. Slott many of which are valid he actually pitched the return of the marriage in 2015 but got repeatedly shot down.
    I do find that very unlikely.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

    "Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

  8. #383
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I do find that very unlikely.
    I can believe it. It would explain the de ja vu scenes from "Power Play".

  9. #384
    Mighty Member Vworp Vworp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I can believe it. It would explain the de ja vu scenes from "Power Play".
    It's trolling. Dan (and Spidey editorial in general) have been doing it for years.

    And I suppose it's a little marketing too, albeit in an unpleasant way. It's dangling the carrot for those that still hold out hope and who might still be buying the book because of that hope. It's never gonna happen under the current regime, but they're happy to occasionally let you think that it might.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

    "Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

  10. #385
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    And I suppose it's a little marketing too, albeit in an unpleasant way. It's dangling the carrot for those that still hold out hope and who might still be buying the book because of that hope. It's never gonna happen under the current regime, but they're happy to occasionally let you think that it might.
    That's true, but still, there was a time where callbacks to OMD weren't a priority at all and they were content to just let an uber-niche thing like the daily strip promote the marriage. Post-Secret Wars, we've had more of marketing push for Peter/MJ variant covers, an AU title featuring them together, video games where she is a major player. The only other medium that doesn't really bother with her all that much is the animated shows

    Hope moves the needle.

  11. #386
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I do find that very unlikely.
    My source is TV Tropes and Idioms and I can assure that place has very accurate information. Dan Slott's rejected return of the marriage was listed among several possible stories in the website's What Could Have Been category. It also included the original One More Day proposal where Gwen would never have died and Mary Jane and Harry would have stayed together so effectively, Peter and Mary Jane would never have married. A slightly better outcome than than Brand New Day and One Moment in Time.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  12. #387
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    My source is TV Tropes and Idioms and I can assure that place has very accurate information. Dan Slott's rejected return of the marriage was listed among several possible stories in the website's What Could Have Been category. It also included the original One More Day proposal where Gwen would never have died and Mary Jane and Harry would have stayed together so effectively, Peter and Mary Jane would never have married. A slightly better outcome than than Brand New Day and One Moment in Time.
    Honestly this would be more interesting and just leave the missing time into a maxi-series.

  13. #388
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly this would be more interesting and just leave the missing time into a maxi-series.
    Yeah but it will draw considerable ire towards Marvel either way. And with how Dan Slott wrote Peter and Mary Jane in Renew Your Vows kind of makes me wish he was the one writing the comic because the later writers are regressing Peter like crazy. It also sort of serves as proof of his own pitch to return the marriage.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-03-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  14. #389
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    My source is TV Tropes and Idioms and I can assure that place has very accurate information. Dan Slott's rejected return of the marriage was listed among several possible stories in the website's What Could Have Been category. It also included the original One More Day proposal where Gwen would never have died and Mary Jane and Harry would have stayed together so effectively, Peter and Mary Jane would never have married. A slightly better outcome than than Brand New Day and One Moment in Time.
    You could always give a link to any online source.

    TV Tropes is essentially a wiki, so someone who is lying or misinformed could provide inaccurate insider information.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  15. #390
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You could always give a link to any online source.

    TV Tropes is essentially a wiki, so someone who is lying or misinformed could provide inaccurate insider information.
    In the case of Slott pitching Marriage comeback storylines, that rumor happened to originate from a commentor on Scans_Daily

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •