Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 418
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Discussion with Tom Brevoort on Spider-Man marriage

    I had an interesting discussion with Tom Brevoort on Twitter tonight. Basically guys, OMD isn't getting undone, Peter and MJ are never getting married again. Marvel aint intersted.

    Tom admitted that he understood I was invested in the marriage because thats how I grew up reading the character, so I replied that it means he knows a married Spidey could work for future generations because thats how they could also encounter the character, and he responed yes, but the future numbers who are still invested in it will dwindle to nothing. Ouch, cruel!

    He is dead set on Spidey being youthful and is dead set on the marriage being something that "crippled" the book. Something that Marvel is unified on. So forget it, move on, it ain't happening. He even compared the marriage repeatedly as a bad idea, on the level of Batman fighting aliens. It's crazy how he could think that. Especially after what JMS did for it.

    Also, he actually even said he thought marrying Spidey in a movie would kill the franchise, LOL! Seriously! It's a sad day but I can finally forget about my dream of seeing it happen in the movies. If Marvel is behind them and they are informing studios on how to go about things, we can expect them avoid marriage like the plague. Marvel obviously hated it with a passion and never want the world to know about it. So sad to see such a huge legacy so near and dear to the hearts of Spidey fans for 2 decades thrown away like trash.

    Goodnight guys. Over and out.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 06-15-2015 at 11:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I had an interesting discussion with Tom Brevoort on Twitter tonight. Basically guys, OMD isn't getting undone, Peter and MJ are never getting married again. Marvel aint intersted.

    Tom admitted that he understood I was invested in the marriage because thats how I grew up reading the character, so I replied that it means he knows a married Spidey could work for future generations because thats how they could also encounter the character, and he responed yes, but the future numbers who are still invested in it will dwindle to nothing. Ouch, cruel!

    He is dead set on Spidey being youthful and is dead set on the marriage being something that "crippled" the book. Something that Marvel is unified on. So forget it, move on, it ain't happening. He even compared the marriage repeatedly as a bad idea, on the level of Batman fighting aliens. It's crazy how he could think that. Especially after what JMS did for it.

    Also, he actually even said he thought marrying Spidey in a movie would kill the franchise, LOL! Seriously! It's a sad day but I can finally forget about my dream of seeing it happen in the movies. If Marvel is behind them and they are informing studios on how to go about things, we can expect them avoid marriage like the plague. Marvel obviously hated it with a passion and never want the world to know about it. So sad to see such a huge legacy so near and dear to the hearts of Spidey fans for 2 decades thrown away like trash.

    Goodnight guys. Over and out.
    So what will happen once Tom Brevoort and Joe Quesada are gone from Marvel and those who engineer OMD?

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    So what will happen once Tom Brevoort and Joe Quesada are gone from Marvel and those who engineer OMD?
    New people will probably follow in their footsteps. Honestly, it took a bit of guts to marry Peter and MJ. It's not something you typically do in this sort of comic, but for me, that was part of the appeal. It wasn't something typically done. The union ended up being great, unfortunatley, Marvel seemed blind to how good it was. I don't suspect things will change unless we get some people in charge who grew up on it and loved it. But fat chance of that. They'll probably only hire like-minded individuals.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I had an interesting discussion with Tom Brevoort on Twitter tonight. Basically guys, OMD isn't getting undone, Peter and MJ are never getting married again. Marvel aint intersted.

    Tom admitted that he understood I was invested in the marriage because thats how I grew up reading the character, so I replied that it means he knows a married Spidey could work for future generations because thats how they could also encounter the character, and he responed yes, but the future numbers who are still invested in it will dwindle to nothing. Ouch, cruel!

    He is dead set on Spidey being youthful and is dead set on the marriage being something that "crippled" the book. Something that Marvel is unified on. So forget it, move on, it ain't happening. He even compared the marriage repeatedly as a bad idea, on the level of Batman fighting aliens. It's crazy how he could think that. Especially after what JMS did for it.

    Also, he actually even said he thought marrying Spidey in a movie would kill the franchise, LOL! Seriously! It's a sad day but I can finally forget about my dream of seeing it happen in the movies. If Marvel is behind them and they are informing studios on how to go about things, we can expect them avoid marriage like the plague. Marvel obviously hated it with a passion and never want the world to know about it. So sad to see such a huge legacy so near and dear to the hearts of Spidey fans for 2 decades thrown away like trash.

    Goodnight guys. Over and out.
    illusion of change is the marvel policy. seems to be dc’s as well.

    good of him to be straight up though.

    it’s an interesting one, i don’t know if there’s any solid industry wisdom on this (as i keep droning: regular serial fiction is a modern creation. much of making it work is experimentation. maybe it doesn’t actually “work”). marriage and children are regarded as being the death knell for sitcoms, but that tends to be for other reasons than would apply to superhero books. soap opera and superhero writers tend to not know what to do with kids and start ageing them (or bringing them back from the future).

    saying it’s the death knell might be overselling the doom a tad, but the marriage does signify a “mid way” point in a narrative. rather than being in the a.m of the story, you’re at about noon. being serial fiction, that can stretch on forever but it really comes down to what time you want the clock stopped at, and i can understand why marvel would choose an early one. even if they aren’t capitalising on it now (as many posters here are saying that the opportunity has been wasted), it allows future generations of writers more freedom.

  5. #5
    Amazing Member Thor8607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I had an interesting discussion with Tom Brevoort on Twitter tonight. Basically guys, OMD isn't getting undone, Peter and MJ are never getting married again. Marvel aint intersted.

    Tom admitted that he understood I was invested in the marriage because thats how I grew up reading the character, so I replied that it means he knows a married Spidey could work for future generations because thats how they could also encounter the character, and he responed yes, but the future numbers who are still invested in it will dwindle to nothing. Ouch, cruel!

    He is dead set on Spidey being youthful and is dead set on the marriage being something that "crippled" the book. Something that Marvel is unified on. So forget it, move on, it ain't happening. He even compared the marriage repeatedly as a bad idea, on the level of Batman fighting aliens. It's crazy how he could think that. Especially after what JMS did for it.

    Also, he actually even said he thought marrying Spidey in a movie would kill the franchise, LOL! Seriously! It's a sad day but I can finally forget about my dream of seeing it happen in the movies. If Marvel is behind them and they are informing studios on how to go about things, we can expect them avoid marriage like the plague. Marvel obviously hated it with a passion and never want the world to know about it. So sad to see such a huge legacy so near and dear to the hearts of Spidey fans for 2 decades thrown away like trash.

    Goodnight guys. Over and out.
    NOOOOOOOO! If this is true than that is it for me, spiderman is truely dead to me as a character.

  6. #6
    Incredible Member RedQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    733

    Default

    I'm disapointed but I'm glad he didn't beat around the bush. The worst thing the heads could do is tease us.

  7. #7
    Amazing Member Thor8607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    99

    Default Goodbye spiderman.

    Having just heard the news that the marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane will NOT be coming back to the 616 universe has left me devastated. I knew I should not have gotten my hopes up that Marvel would bring back the marriage but I could not help myself, knowing now that Tom Brevroot has confirmed that the marriage is not returning leaves me no choice but to give up on all things spiderman....forever. I had quit reading the books after baby may and the marriage were destroyed, and only started reading Renew you vows because I hoped that it would lead to spiderman getting his family back again. ( sigh ), now those of us who were fans of the marriage must mourn the loss of a once great character and a loving marriage that we will never see again, it's time for us to say goodbye to spiderman and move on. So let me begin the process of healing by saying it first...Goodbye spiderman, it was great while it lasted. In the end your greatest enemy wasn't the Green Goblin or venom...it was marvel. P.S DON'T make mine Marvel

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor8607 View Post
    Having just heard the news that the marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane will NOT be coming back to the 616 universe has left me devastated. I knew I should not have gotten my hopes up that Marvel would bring back the marriage but I could not help myself, knowing now that Tom Brevroot has confirmed that the marriage is not returning leaves me no choice but to give up on all things spiderman....forever. I had quit reading the books after baby may and the marriage were destroyed, and only started reading Renew you vows because I hoped that it would lead to spiderman getting his family back again. ( sigh ), now those of us who were fans of the marriage must mourn the loss of a once great character and a loving marriage that we will never see again, it's time for us to say goodbye to spiderman and move on. So let me begin the process of healing by saying it first...Goodbye spiderman, it was great while it lasted. In the end your greatest enemy wasn't the Green Goblin or venom...it was marvel. P.S DON'T make mine Marvel
    I know you and I have seen things different but this is actually kinda dramatic because one guy says he isn't returning the marriage you create a thread which debatable calls the character worthless (your words are once great) what I think is this Tom replied to a comment and he could have lied, things change, management changes maybe the next guy in charge will want the marriage back and wont think it will cripple the books it lasted thirty years and sold quite well there is no reason why it can't do so again. I'm not asking you to read something you don't like I'm not that much of an a$$hole but keep your finger on the pulse it could happen I don't think Tom gets flashs of the future.
    Truth is the best policy

  9. #9
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Your loss, chief. The stories have been really good in recent years, since Dan Slott started writing Spidey.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    i think he's doing the right thing- better to say goodbye than keep reading a comic you don't like. it is kinda weird to actually say goodbye though.

  11. #11
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Of course. I'll never understand people who keep reading/watching stuff they obviously hate. Life's too short, and there's too much good stuff out there.

  12. #12
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i think he's doing the right thing- better to say goodbye than keep reading a comic you don't like. it is kinda weird to actually say goodbye though.
    I can't see this no marriage mandate lasting myself because it basically means the writers are stuck. Peter can't get back with Mary Jane. So he's going to date other people? No one will get invested because it can't last. They went through all this to break him up and MJ, they aren't going to marry him off to someone else and if they tried that the girl would end up being a Replacement Scrappy for MJ. They want Peter to have a girlfriend, that much is obvious, they keep trying to give him one. Eventually soomething will give. So personally I's ride it out. Heck, if they found someone for Peter who worked better with him than Mary Jane hypothetically I'd be on board. It wouldn't be the first time a girl has been replaced as the love Peter's life. Though the last one did have to get tossed off a bridge first...

  13. #13
    The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    5,509

    Default

    I respectfully disagree with brevoort. He's not wrong per second but he's acting like a married Peter is wrong and not good. I disagree I loved MY and want them together. Will I still like spider if it doesn't happen? Yes but I still prefer the marriage
    Wolverine,Rogue,Gambit,Jubilee Jean Grey top 5 x-men Favorites

  14. #14
    Brandy and Coke DT Winslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    325

    Default

    You forgot the most exciting news of the exchange!

    Wait for it!


    Wait for iiiiiiiiiiiit!


    Horsehead Spidey!

    Seriously! We only need another 4999 and we might have something!

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    New people will probably follow in their footsteps. Honestly, it took a bit of guts to marry Peter and MJ. It's not something you typically do in this sort of comic, but for me, that was part of the appeal. It wasn't something typically done. The union ended up being great, unfortunatley, Marvel seemed blind to how good it was. I don't suspect things will change unless we get some people in charge who grew up on it and loved it. But fat chance of that. They'll probably only hire like-minded individuals.
    Marvel would not know that until its too late. Just like when they hire Joe Quesada to run the company when he was quite happy at Events Comics. But I believe that they wanted Todd McFarlane to take over; but he declined.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •