Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Story37.jpg

1htkyg.jpg

tumblr_mlm4zpKxiE1ri6ot4o1_500.jpg

This woman will always be my favorite. She's got something special.

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post
    I get that. I understand that Marvel does what they feel is best for their character in long run. And you gotta respect that. I disagree that MJ is at fault. But, I can't do anything except not buy the comic. Which I sadly do not anymore. I did buy RYV because it peaked my curiosity. And I thought Slott did a good job showcasing MJ and Peter's relationship. I adore her as a character. I do think she's the only one who Peter should be married to, they were married for two decades. And when they were written well it improved the comic and Peter's character in my eyes. And as a supporting character, her job is to add to Peter's character, and I think she does that nicely. I grew up with a married Spider-man. The two started out as a pair for me and that's how I'll always see them. She made the comic seem more approachable as a female comic book reader. I loved that Spider-man had a fun, strong, kick-ass, smart, savvy, hilarious and flawed wife. Like shit like this....

Attachment 23616

Attachment 23618

Attachment 23619

made me love them. But I'm a romantic at heart so...

But hey Marvel's gonna do, what Marvel's gonna do.
    I feel the same way, I'm a sorta mushy guy so I liked the marriage. And I have and always will love Mary Jane, Marvel has made a big mistake in taking her out of Peter's life.
    spider-man from 1962 through 2007 R.I.P will miss you always.

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post
    Seeing this just makes me sad now, knowing marvel will not let them be together again. They were my favorite comic book couple of all time.
    spider-man from 1962 through 2007 R.I.P will miss you always.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oddly enough in Canon he has a daughter and originally was traveling with his granddaughter for a time, plus he's been married at least twice (once to his original wife, whoever she was, and once to River Song).
    They stopped mentioning the granddaughter pretty quickly.

Had they any inkling how long the series would last, they'd have probably gone in a different direction.

Had the series not been cancelled in the late 80s, there was even a plan to retcon the Doctor's family.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor8607 View Post
    Having just heard the news that the marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane will NOT be coming back to the 616 universe has left me devastated. I knew I should not have gotten my hopes up that Marvel would bring back the marriage but I could not help myself, knowing now that Tom Brevroot has confirmed that the marriage is not returning leaves me no choice but to give up on all things spiderman....forever. I had quit reading the books after baby may and the marriage were destroyed, and only started reading Renew you vows because I hoped that it would lead to spiderman getting his family back again. ( sigh ), now those of us who were fans of the marriage must mourn the loss of a once great character and a loving marriage that we will never see again, it's time for us to say goodbye to spiderman and move on. So let me begin the process of healing by saying it first...Goodbye spiderman, it was great while it lasted. In the end youUr greatest enemy wasn't the Green Goblin or venom...it was marvel. P.S DON'T make mine Marvel
    There is no question that if this happens I am done. When I mean done, I mean done not only with the comic, but the movies and everything concerning Marvel ( even this blog). Basically they do not even care about the character ( except for money), which is why they put Iron Man front and center.or the fans, so why should My time and money be wasted? My opinion does not matter. I went away for 6 years after The Cone Saga, and unlike before there is no coming back ( even if they restored the marriage). Instead, I will focus on my last four remaining elements from my childhood: the Pen State Nittany Lions, the Islanders, Steelers and Yankees. Being a fan of Spider-Man will be a part of my past, nothing more.
    Last edited by Steeler53; 06-18-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    There is no question that if this happens I am done. When I mean done, I mean done not only with the comic, but the movies and everything concerning Marvel ( even this blog). Basically they do not even care about the character ( except for money), which is why they put Iron Man front and center.or the fans, so why should My time and money be wasted? My opinion does not matter. I went away for 6 years after The Cone Saga, and unlike before there is no coming back ( even if they restored the marriage). Instead, I will focus on my last four remaining elements from my childhood: the Pen State Nittany Lions, the Islanders, Steelers and Yankees. Being a fan of Spider-Man will be a part of my past, nothing more.
    i think the only i’m clinging to from my childhood is this board.

teddy might be in a box somewhere.

I hate Breevort with a passion but, I was never fond of Pete being married to MJ. I perfer Gwen or someone who can defend themselves. I agree with Mark Waid that MJ is WAY TOO perfect for a realistic marriage. THAT BEING SAID…..I'M NOT AGAINST THE MARRIAGE IF DONE RIGHT. There have been some instances where I adore their interactions like Pete wearing his mask in bed with MJ. Hilarious. What pisses me off is how they broke off the marriage. If they were so keen on them leaving, WHY NOT JUST HAVE THEM GET DIVORCED. It makes it MORE REALISTIC than a deal with SATAN!! If this is true that Peter is not allowed to marry ANYONE in the MARVEL UNIVERSE, I'm done with Marvel. Tom is making it so much easier for me to read more DC. The lack of X-Men for Inhumans, the abandonment of the F4, The Avengers dick riding because of the MCU, Richard Rider's death, Annual events EACH YEAR (Maybe 3), I've just about had it!!! Good thing I dropped Renew Your Vows after the 1st issue.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i kind of get it, sorta. if i read the same book for 30 years straight i’d want to see some sort of progress. fortunately i don’t and haven’t, so the illusion of change policy doesn’t bother me. i’m not gonna get that here.

marvel dug themselves this hole somewhat by creating certain status quo changes and flipping back and forth which created a certain expectation in the older fans…but at the same time, any of those fans that expects a constant editorial direction over a period of 50 years is kidding themselves.

also, it’s interesting how people seem to think progress is synonymous with “wife and baby”. really? that’s it?
    Well, he could be rich by selling his Spider-man-tecnology, or start a political career, or become a serial killer, or become an olimpic athlete, or go throught a sex-changing surgery......................................

i dunno man, look at dr who. the guy is thousands of years old and every so often they reset him to being a big kid. actually, you could argue that he’s always a big kid. still, you couldn’t argue that the character hasn’t progressed.

i wonder if his fans want him to settle down in the burbs and make little baby whos.
    Well, it's not like they cant live in the TARDIS; and he has a family already, but probably are still trapped in the Time War.

that’s an in-universe factor which is beside the point (and not true anyway. he’s missing huge chunks of his life and history). he’s perennially child-like and even childish. he’s also extremely experienced and wise. the point being that a character can retain traits important to their appeal (sometimes they never learn their “lesson”) no matter how long they live for. sherlock holmes hasn’t learned to cuddle people yet.
    Wait, what chunks of life is the Doctor missing ?. And the audios and book and a some episodes have filled-in, for the audience, in the blank of his life before the show started.

good point. it shows the desire for a certain wish fulfilment that’s been dressed up as “what’s best for the character” in a lot of cases.
    And that goes both ways.

and similarly, those aren’t a permanent part of his narrative. they’re almost footnotes. painful footnotes maybe.
    Except for River, Clara and his cloned daughter, and if any of family is still alive Gallifrey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    So nothing specific to the character? Just the fact that she's been around since the early days? And having her play a role far removed from who she was in those early days is the best way to pay tribute to the character?

You're right, the relationship between Peter and Gwen really didn't work in those last 10 minutes when she was a corpse. Good point. I never stopped to consider that.

I concede that Mary Jane is a more effective character than a corpse.
    Well, in the earlier days, Gwen was basically a long-lost twin sister of Emma Frost.......................................

maybe i missed out on the progressive mj and just got 80s and 90s big hair version that left almost zero impression on me. and while your description sounds like a great character (that i never met), i don’t know about how heavily that needs to be involved in spidey’s status quo. or in what manner, let’s say.

i don’t know about flawed female characters being rare. i’d almost say the vast majority are flawed, just not flawed in a way that teaches us anything positive. it’s more about laying judgement or making the male character seem stronger/more heroic by contrast.
    Like who ?, in these days ?.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 06-18-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    I hate Breevort with a passion but, I was never fond of Pete being married to MJ. I perfer Gwen or someone who can defend themselves. I agree with Mark Waid that MJ is WAY TOO perfect for a realistic marriage. THAT BEING SAID…..I'M NOT AGAINST THE MARRIAGE IF DONE RIGHT. There have been some instances where I adore their interactions like Pete wearing his mask in bed with MJ. Hilarious. What pisses me off is how they broke off the marriage. If they were so keen on them leaving, WHY NOT JUST HAVE THEM GET DIVORCED. It makes it MORE REALISTIC than a deal with SATAN!! If this is true that Peter is not allowed to marry ANYONE in the MARVEL UNIVERSE, I'm done with Marvel. Tom is making it so much easier for me to read more DC. The lack of X-Men for Inhumans, the abandonment of the F4, The Avengers dick riding because of the MCU, Richard Rider's death, Annual events EACH YEAR (Maybe 3), I've just about had it!!! Good thing I dropped Renew Your Vows after the 1st issue.
    I think there have been several images posted in this thread that shows MJ can defend herself just fine...
    Last edited by Frontier; 06-18-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, he could be rich by selling his Spider-man-tecnology, or start a political career, or become a serial killer......................................
    now we’re talking. peter watches a few too many eps of dexter whilst smoking mary jane (see? the link can still be there) and boom. progress.
    Well, it's not like they cant live in the TARDIS; and he has a family already, but probably are still trapped in the Time War.
    yep. they totally could but they don’t, which is kinda the point. are river and his daughter part of the ongoing cast?

as for parts of his life missing- i might be getting the different continuities mixed up, but his life as the other (pre 1st incarnation), parts of his 7th existence he willingly hid from himself, his entire 9th incarnation as the war doctor (until recently), long periods of amnesia. i’m sure there’s more examples. he’s had 12 lives or more- bound to forget where the tv remote is once in a while.

i explained the difference between wish fulfilment and narrative choice-there’s a few posts on that.

Like who ?, in these days ?.
    one that comes to mind is maggie hart in "true detective" and tess conlon in "warrior" for examples of the latter. “game of thrones” does so for the former. “buffy” used to a bit, but that’s probably a bit long in the tooth now. we could list examples all day if we wanted. the battle isn’t won there yet. men’s flaws often make them better or hardcore (wolverine, drizzt d’urden, john thackery in the knick, house in house etc) women’s flaws often make them victims (sex in the city plus those other examples).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there have been several images posted in this thread that shows MJ can defend herself just fine...
    Touche. You are right she can defend herself. but she is STILL put in harms way. I meant someone who could knock a villain in to a building badly.

Touche. You are right she can defend herself. but she is STILL put in harms way. I meant someone who could knock a villain in to a building badly.
    Marvel has made it very clear that they aren't pairing Peter up with a super heroine.

Then why Gwen? Are you talking about Spider-Gwen? Don't you think it's a little creepy for Peter to date a young girl who looks like his dead girlfriend?

Incredible Member

Regardless of whether Marvel brings or does not bring back the marriage, this debate will go on forever. No matter how much time passes, someone keeps bringing up the marriage thing. This is probably one of the few reasons people talk about Spider-Man extensively anymore. Marvel knows it too. That's why they keep raking up the coals now and then.