Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And yet The Incredibles 2 is a thing.
    Sure, but the series is explicitly about family dynamics (something echoed in the power sets) and younger audiences could relate to the kids.

There is bye not that younger readers could relate to Spidey's kids although that doesn't seem sustainable (what happens when they get older?)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Sure, but the series is explicitly about family dynamics (something echoed in the power sets) and younger audiences could relate to the kids.

There is bye not that younger readers could relate to Spidey's kids although that doesn't seem sustainable (what happens when they get older?)
    Which set of kids are you refering to?

I'll concede that Spidey having kids of his own raises a lot of questions in regards to the sliding timescale and because of that I can see the case being made that such settings should be reserved for non-616 series which have a far more finite duration.

And as far as younger audiences need kid characters to relate to (or couldn't relate to married Spidey, or whatever), all I can say is that the vast majority of superhero characters beloved by children are adults who're often written as such. One can certainly project their own circumstances on the comics by analogy (while I'm not in school, I can relate to Spidey in USM by drawing parallels between classwork and my job). Also, I've never been married (or dated) and that didn't make me find the idea of Spidey being married himself distance the character (after all, it is pretty organic to the character in terms of fitting with the theme and everyman status of the character, not to mention that Spidey and MJ being a couple has become the normal as far as the franchise is concerned).

So, at the end of the day, I think that OMD and what came after is, at best, a different opinion over what is a better setup for writing stories based on this character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'll concede that Spidey having kids of his own raises a lot of questions in regards to the sliding timescale and because of that I can see the case being made that such settings should be reserved for non-616 series which have a far more finite duration.
    Sliding time scale is hardly a problem, I hear that there's some part of clone saga that hints that Spidey's kid survived, and with the time that passed the kid could be old enough to not be baby (Though OMD killed that kid, maybe), or there can be some artificial aging, it's what DC did with Damian in New 52 because of that dumb 5 year time limit.

Or just do it like Fantastic Four and let the kids age naturaly, but that'd be a very, very slow process lol.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Which set of kids are you refering to?
    The Incredibles
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Sliding time scale is hardly a problem, I hear that there's some part of clone saga that hints that Spidey's kid survived, and with the time that passed the kid could be old enough to not be baby (Though OMD killed that kid, maybe), or there can be some artificial aging, it's what DC did with Damian in New 52 because of that dumb 5 year time limit.

Or just do it like Fantastic Four and let the kids age naturaly, but that'd be a very, very slow process lol.
    I think the thing is that kids grow up pretty fast, so it becomes more obvious that time is passing or being artificially slowed down. There's also the detail that kids born around the same time in different series frequently age at different rates.

To be totally honest, I'd have no problem if ASM had or ever does go the Spider-Girl/RYV route and show Peter and MJ raising a family, but I can see the point that is raises more questions about the passage of time than Peter and MJ's marriage does, where it can be just be left at they've been married for a few years and be no specific than that. (I kinda have a love/hate relationship with characters aging when it comes to Spider-Man. A lot of the stuff that makes the character great is that he did have a chance to grow up and become an adult, however, I do see the point that you don't want him aging so much that he can't be Spidey anymore.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Incredibles
    I imagine that the kids who related to them would have grown up as well. But its not unheard of kids relsting to teenagers or teenagers/YA relating to kids. After all Gravity falls and Stranger things are pretty popular among an adult crowd and they are about preteens.

Its not an exact science.

Spectacular Member

I think the thing is that kids grow up pretty fast, so it becomes more obvious that time is passing or being artificially slowed down. There's also the detail that kids born around the same time in different series frequently age at different rates.

To be totally honest, I'd have no problem if ASM had or ever does go the Spider-Girl/RYV route and show Peter and MJ raising a family, but I can see the point that is raises more questions about the passage of time than Peter and MJ's marriage does, where it can be just be left at they've been married for a few years and be no specific than that. (I kinda have a love/hate relationship with characters aging when it comes to Spider-Man. A lot of the stuff that makes the character great is that he did have a chance to grow up and become an adult, however, I do see the point that you don't want him aging so much that he can't be Spidey anymore.)
    Magneto and the Punisher would disagree. Never too old in the Marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    Magneto and the Punisher would disagree. Never too old in the Marvel universe.
    Isn't Magneto de-aged every so often and the Punisher's exact year of origin just not talked about anymore?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Isn't Magneto de-aged every so often and the Punisher's exact year of origin just not talked about anymore?
    It's not talked about but he was serving the army during the Vietnam war and that hasn't changed as far as I'm aware.

Surprised they just don't say that Frank got the infinity formula at some point.

It's not talked about but he was serving the army during the Vietnam war and that hasn't changed as far as I'm aware.
    It was changed to the Gulf War at one point, but I'm not sure that stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Ultimate gave him a more timeless backstory of being a former cop who's family was killed by corrupt cops. On the other hand, I suppose you could just say that he was ex-army who'd had some combat experience and leave it at that.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate gave him a more timeless backstory of being a former cop who's family was killed by corrupt cops. On the other hand, I suppose you could just say that he was ex-army who'd had some combat experience and leave it at that.
    There's always the "nameless war that the public never even knew about" option. I've never seen that applied to Punisdher, but I've seen other characters from Vietnam get retconned that way.

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks.

There's always the "nameless war that the public never even knew about" option. I've never seen that applied to Punisdher, but I've seen other characters from Vietnam get retconned that way.
    Yeah I'm surprised they just didn't do that, I mean, it was done with Flash, they could always say Frank was serving the army at the same time as that lol.

That would work.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)