Super Moderator

Default "Final Fantasy VII" is At Long Last Getting A Remake

Eighteen years after the release of the original, Square Enix and Sony have announced at E3 that they're remaking Final Fantasy VII for PlayStation 4.

Full article here.

BANNED

I finally have a reason to buy a PS4. I'm very excited, I thought this was never going to be made.

Fantastic Member

Funny, this being announced in the middle of my first playthrough of this game since I've reached adulthood. And honestly, now that I'm a grown-up, I found the game a little unplayable. So much awesomeness bogged down by the stupid mandatory mini-games (the rope swinging thing, the dolphin jump non-sense), and the lack of clarity as to what is interact-able (since all non-character imagery is part of the background, visually). I believe this is a chance to make something truly great of something that was right at the jaws of amazing, but torn out by a few fatal flaws.

Might as well since they apparently can't make a new Final Fantasy worth a damn anymore

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Might as well since they apparently can't make a new Final Fantasy worth a damn anymore
    15 looks like it could be good. The setting looks a little to realistic for my taste, but it could be good.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

From what I have seen of 15 it looks like it might be good. They got away from that horrid FF13 combat style so that is a major plus. FF13 and it's sequels are just so bad that anything not like them is going to seem great in comparison.

Since Square Enix has been pumping out PC ports of past and present FF games for some time now, I wouldn't be surprised to see this on Steam pre-order soon.
    Life is but a dream

7 and 8 were the only ones I remember and IIRC those were just slightly tweaked versions of the PC ports for both games they released back in the 90s, 13's the first one they've done since then and that was 4 years removed from the console release, what I'm saying is I wouldn't expect it any time soon, especially since they haven't gotten around to doing it for 9, 10, or 12 yet
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-17-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Spectacular Member

I never got a chance to finish the game when i was lent the discs by a workmate a few years ago, The Discs were scratched maybe played to almost the end of the first disc before it just gave in. PS4 is looking good for a buy next year with FFVII, Mass Effect: Andromeda, The last Guardian and Yooka-Laylee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    7 and 8 were the only ones I remember and IIRC those were just slightly tweaked versions of the PC ports for both games they released back in the 90s, 13's the first one they've done since then and that was 4 years removed from the console release, what I'm saying is I wouldn't expect it any time soon, especially since they haven't gotten around to doing it for 9, 10, or 12 yet
    Well, given that more and more Final Fantasy games keep appearing, they are clearly selling well. And since they specifically said the FFVII remake would come on the PS4 first, that means an XB1 and PC port is very likely.
    Life is but a dream

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    I finally have a reason to buy a PS4. I'm very excited, I thought this was never going to be made.
    My sentiments exactly, as well as the sentiment of many other fans I've seen tweeting about FF7 HD Remake. I don't normally waste time on Twitter, but it's fun reading and being a part of the fan reaction to this, lol.

I am so freakin' happy. Of course, I would be happier if they hadn't trolled us with the "FFVII on PS4! = the PC port is coming to PS4" thing back in December, lol. That still stings. But all will be forgiven when this game is out and it's wonderful.

They said we'd get more information this winter.

(fan-made image)

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    Funny, this being announced in the middle of my first playthrough of this game since I've reached adulthood. And honestly, now that I'm a grown-up, I found the game a little unplayable. So much awesomeness bogged down by the stupid mandatory mini-games (the rope swinging thing, the dolphin jump non-sense), and the lack of clarity as to what is interact-able (since all non-character imagery is part of the background, visually). I believe this is a chance to make something truly great of something that was right at the jaws of amazing, but torn out by a few fatal flaws.
    I have to say the random battles are the only thing that keeps me from diving into this game again. I don't have the patience to get into a battle every one to two steps anymore, lol. Hopefully they'll give you a way to turn random battles off via the settings, like they did in Bravely Default. Actually, FFVII Remake could learn a lot from that turn-based recent Square Enix game.

You weren't the only fan playing FFVII when you heard about this, though, lol. Pretty awesome.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

I know people have been clamoring for this, but given how much time has passed and how much the industry has changed, I'm not sure updated graphics is enough to make this game better than it already was. But it'll sell and Sony will always be happy to take more money. That's just the nature of the business.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

THis is great news since FF7 was the first RPG I ever played. I got far but I didn't know how to work the leveling up system in RPG's so this Remake , I can go back and beat it.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I know people have been clamoring for this, but given how much time has passed and how much the industry has changed, I'm not sure updated graphics is enough to make this game better than it already was. But it'll sell and Sony will always be happy to take more money. That's just the nature of the business.
    The creators involved have already said it's not just updated graphics. The director said that if it was just going to be updated graphics, there wouldn't be much point to it and that people could just play the PC port on PS4 and be done with it. This is going to be a full remake, not one of those recent remasters, which means that it's more than a graphical overhaul. They're going to take the opportunity to really get into the guts of the game and change some stuff around, add story content, etc. But that's just me paraphrasing based on what I've read around the web from various articles, here's some actual quotes from the director, Tetsuya Nomura:

“I can’t share too much for now, but it won’t be a simple remake,” says Nomura. “If we were to simply just make the graphics look pretty for the new generation consoles, I don’t think it could surpass the original version. If that’s what you wanted, I think it’d be enough to just play the original International version on PlayStation 4, and it would be satisfying enough.”

“We’ve yet to show any screenshots from the game, but it has vastly evolved, so please look forward to it,” Nomura continues. “Again, this time, since the story is being handled by Nojima, that also means that there will be more work added to it, so please look forward to that as well.”
    Here's a collection of informative news articles including the one from which I've quoted, if anyone's interested.

And here's an additional interview with Tetsuya Nomura from another site.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolfboy View Post
    THis is great news since FF7 was the first RPG I ever played. I got far but I didn't know how to work the leveling up system in RPG's so this Remake , I can go back and beat it.
    I still remember the day I went to the mall to buy this game, that's how much it blew my mind back in the day, lol. So glad that a lot of people are looking forward to this. ^.^
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

18 years later and you still can't revive Aeris with a phoenix down