Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rank the Star Trek movies

For all the Star Trek Fans, what movies were the best, least favorite or worst.

Original Star Trek Movie series.

1.Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    2.Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
    3.Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
    4.Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
    5.Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
    6.Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

The Next Generation Star Trek Movies.

1.Star Trek Generations.
    2.Star Trek: First Contact.
    3.Star Trek: Insurrection.
    4.Star Trek: Nemesis.

Star Trek movie reboot series.

1.Star Trek (2009).
    2.Star Trek Into Darkness (2013).

As far as the Star Trek films go, How would you rate each of them.
    Last edited by kingmyth; 06-16-2015 at 08:31 AM.

1-Wrath of Khan is probably my favorite,
    Undiscovered Country, First Contact and I also really liked Insurrection. Along with Search for Spock and that's the top of the pop for me.

I remember going to see 'the one with the wales' when I was a kid and dug O.K. then, I tried to sit though it last year and couldn't get through a half hour of it. Which is odd cause I love 80's ****. V was horrible. Generations was kind of meh, I'm going to have to see it again. Nemesis had some cool creature sculpts by not much after that. The Motion Picture is pretty anti climactic but I think it grows on you. Visually it's impressive and Kristi Alley was hot stuff back in the day.

I had hoped the newer ones would be a bit more original. The first one was O.K., I really dug the design of that giant drill but Into Darkness was a straight rip-off.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Wrath of Khan is number one. Voyage Home next, then Undiscovered Country. After that the reboot. Everything else pretty much sucks IMHO.

My personal ranking:

1. The Wrath of Khan - 5/5
    2. First Contact - 5/5
    3. The Undiscovered Country - 5/5
    4. The Search For Spock - 5/5
    5. Generations - 4/5
    6. Insurrection - 4/5
    7. The Voyage Home - 3/5
    8. The Final Frontier - 3/5
    9. Nemesis - 2/5
    10. The Motion Picture - 2/5
    11. Star Trek (2009) - 1/5

Haven't seen Into Darkness and don't really have any inclination to after suffering through the first Abrams disaster.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

1 - 2: TWOK or TUC, however I'm feeling that day
    3. 2009
    4. First Contact
    5. TVH
    6. TSFS
    7. TMP
    8. Into Darkness
    9. Generations
    10. The Final Frontier
    11. Nemesis
    12. Insurrection

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Into Darkness was a straight rip-off. [/font]
    Honestly, the only thing that was a rip-off in that movie was that one scene, which was pure fanwank for that matter (even then, it still worked for Kirk's arc until Spock just had to pull an internet meme). Everything else in that movie was created just for the movie, although I agree that it wasn't a great movie. And Khan was unnecessary (using a brand new augment would've kept the story the same!), but his storyline in TWOK and this movie are two very different ones, right down to the motive.

Extraordinary Member

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. Undiscovered Country.
    3. First Contact
    4. Voyage Home
    5. Star Trek 09
    6. Into Darkness
    7. Seach for Spock
    8. Insurection
    9. Nemisis
    10. TMP
    11. Final Frontier

12. Generations. I don't think I've ever seen a movie go so far out of its way to insult me before or since. The only one I can't find any redeeming qualities or scenes in. Even Final Fronteir had a couple of good moments. This was like seeing the bat-credit card every other scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Honestly, the only thing that was a rip-off in that movie was that one scene, which was pure fanwank for that matter (even then, it still worked for Kirk's arc until Spock just had to pull an internet meme). Everything else in that movie was created just for the movie, although I agree that it wasn't a great movie. And Khan was unnecessary (using a brand new augment would've kept the story the same!), but his storyline in TWOK and this movie are two very different ones, right down to the motive.
    Yea but it was still the Khan construct as the basis for Into Darkness. Some details were changed and other details rearranged but the bones of the story was TWOK, I agree with you saying Khan was unnecessary. I understand there are a lot of younger moviegoers who might not have seen Wrath of Khan but 2/3rds of the audience is going to see these movies based on what we know as great outer space science fiction. To rip off the best movie was bullshit. I guess the the third installment this crew will travel to the past in an effort to save dolphins instead of whales.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

1. Star Trek (2009)
    2. Star Trek II
    3. Star Trek VI
    4. Star Trek Into Darkness
    5. Star Trek IV
    6. Star Trek: First Contact
    7. Star Trek III

And then a big gap (and none of these are really worth bothering with, except maybe Generations)...

8. Star Trek: Generations
    9. Star Trek V
    10. Star Trek: Insurrection
    11. Star Trek: Nemesis
    12. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

1) Star Trek (2009)
    2) First Contact
    3) The Voyage Home
    4) Into Darkness

5) Almost all of the rest of them, except for...

Unranked, because frankly any ranking would be giving it too much credit) Generations

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    12. Generations. I don't think I've ever seen a movie go so far out of its way to insult me before or since. The only one I can't find any redeeming qualities or scenes in. Even Final Fronteir had a couple of good moments. This was like seeing the bat-credit card every other scene.
    100% Agreed.

Where to start? The Captain of the the Enterprise B being made to look mostly useless just so Kirk could take over. Killing off Picard's only surviving family in the first five minutes so he'd be all mopey. Everyone on the Holdeck getting arsey with Data for pushing someone in the water, despite it being funny when they did it Worf and the fact that they're on a bloody holodeck so the water wasn't even real!!!!

Really, of all the relentless crap in this movie, it's the treatment of Data that really sticks in the throat. From that initial scene, it's like he's been reset to his season one character, purely to justify his decision to install the emotion chip. And when he does get it installed, he ends up being mostly useless and responsible for Geordie's abduction. And even that would have been OK, if there had been some kind of pay-off later in the movie. But nope - other than offering to confront Soran, Data never really gets to atone for his earlier douchery and his entire emotion arc is rendered largely pointless.

Add to that, all the nexus dreamland tosh and the pointless destruction of the Enterprise (other than to have a more epic finish than Kirk falling off a bridge) and what you're left with is a movie that hits every wrong note it could possibly find. And then it finds some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Yea but it was still the Khan construct as the basis for Into Darkness. Some details were changed and other details rearranged but the bones of the story was TWOK, I agree with you saying Khan was unnecessary. I understand there are a lot of younger moviegoers who might not have seen Wrath of Khan but 2/3rds of the audience is going to see these movies based on what we know as great outer space science fiction. To rip off the best movie was bullshit.
    Khan wasn't necessarily the basis for Into Darkness -- the story treatment was already underway, including dealing with the fallout of Vulcan's destruction, when Orci and the studio execs insisted that Khan be inserted into the story. This is why references to the Botany Bay and the expectation that the crew were supposed to recognize the name Khan felt so slapdash and thrown in. Very little, if anything, linked the story back to Khan's origins, certainly not the way TWOK did.

To be clear, TWOK was a severe departure from Space Seed as well. The "bones" of TWOK were about aging, death, and obsessive vengeance; a major theme of the story was that Kirk was getting older (hence the ship full of cadets, the heart-to-heart with Spock about their lives), the sins of the past, cycle of death (the Kobayashi Maru and Spock's deaths, the Genesis device), and Khan's single-minded thirst for revenge. There was such a gulf between Kirk and Khan in their face off that they never even shared the screen together; of the Big 7, only Chekov (ironically) had that pleasure.

On the other hand, the bones of ID were about a conspiracy where paranoid government overreach was threatening everything the Federation stood for, while Kirk was being a poor captain and learning the hard way to make up for it (in essence, he represented the Federation -- his shaky morals only made it worse; and once he became an unselfish captain by sticking to Starfleet ideals did the tables begin to turn). Khan was merely a pawn in Marcus' plan. The only thing it had in common with TWOK was Khan and the death scene -- and even then, Khan was merely a supporting player by his own admission, since he's a manipulator, and he had a different personality and goals than Montalban's Khan. But none of the major pieces from TWOK -- the battles, the Shakespeare, the interplay, or even Kirk outwitting Khan several times -- are in Into Darkness. Shatner-Kirk was dealing with aging while Pine-Kirk was coming-of-age. It's akin to saying The Dark Knight is a remake of Batman '89 simply because they both have a Joker who laughs.

Nothing else in the story reflected TWOK. A quest for vengeance and darkness isn't something new in Trek (First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis, 2009). The movies didn't follow the same beats. Khan was the driving force in TWOK; Marcus was that in Into Darkness, and Khan was merely his rebellious, stronger-and-smarter sidekick. Aside from two instances, nothing else that made TWOK memorable was in Into Darkness; and even the themes are very different, and the themes are what would create the most accurate similarities. TWOK Khan was willing to sacrifice his people to get Kirk; ID Khan tried to save them. If Into Darkness failed as a story, it failed on its terms, and failed to infuse any references to TWOK with any sort of real meaning other than fanwank.
    Last edited by Cyke; 06-16-2015 at 01:58 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    1) Star Trek (2009)
    2) First Contact
    3) The Voyage Home
    4) Into Darkness

5) Almost all of the rest of them, except for...

Unranked, because frankly any ranking would be giving it too much credit) Generations
    You didn't even like The Undiscovered Country or Wrath of Kahn?

Or do you mean you like rest equally? Because, again, in which world is The Motion Picture or Insurrection anywhere near as good as Wrath of Kahn? I know opinions are subjective and all, but this seems almost quantifiably wrong.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    You didn't even like The Undiscovered Country or Wrath of Kahn?

Or do you mean you like rest equally? Because, again, in which world is The Motion Picture or Insurrection anywhere near as good as Wrath of Kahn? I know opinions are subjective and all, but this seems almost quantifiably wrong.
    I like TMP much more than Insurrection. Yeah, the movie dragged, but it wasn't paint-by-numbers like Insurrection. And it was ambitious with its special effects, unlike Insurrection (where the ship was in a nebula made of -- cat hair? dustballs? floating gravy? what the hell is that?).

Still not as good as TWOK though.

Or do you mean you like rest equally?
    Yep.

Because, again, in which world is The Motion Picture or Insurrection anywhere near as good as Wrath of Kahn? I know opinions are subjective and all, but this seems almost quantifiably wrong.
    WoK's alright. Like TMP and Insurrection are alright. Aside from Spock's sacrifice though, there isn't much about Wrath that especially stands out for me.

Now that I think about it though, take Nemesis out of that bunch and put that in 6th place. Cos whilst it's not Generations bad, it's definitely not alright.

6.Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
    2.Star Trek: First Contact.
    2.Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
    1.Star Trek (2009).
    2.Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
    3.Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
    4.Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
    1.Star Trek Generations.
    3.Star Trek: Insurrection.
    5.Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
    1.Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    4.Star Trek: Nemesis.

Top to bottom. Best to worst