Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mighty Member

urgh... "Insurrection"... planet of the space hippies....

"Insurrection" seemed AT LEAST as idiotic as what we got in the J. J. Abrams films (and STID, in particular). it just felt like a train wreck of bland story-telling, crappy fan service, and a profoundly uninteresting conflict that also features Federation guys acting badly. apart from some profound sunk-cost-fallacy love for the characters and the franchise as a whole... I honestly don't see how somebody could seriously argue that it's a better film than what Abrams did with the reboot-universe.

Insurrection wasn't all that different, for me, from many of the run of the mill TNG episodes. Or even that one (more than one?) hippy planet episode of TOS.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

One of the main problems with both Final Frontier and Inssurection-as well as TMP to an extent-is that they were largely just recycled plots from the TV shows.

"Final Frontier" is pretty much "The Way to Eden" with a cult taking over the Enterprise and bringing it to a mythical planet. Insurrection isn't all that different from the episode where Worf's human foster brother tried to move natives onto the holodeck in a sense (This was even one of the villain's plans in the film).

TMP is pretty similar to the Changing but on a much larger scale.

The other films for the most part at least had some kind of interesting story hook/concept or something big happen in them, like a character/ship death or a major shakeup in the mythos (Star Trek VI in particular partially explaining why the Klingons and the Federation are allies by TNG for example).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

list in progress aka give me time #1 top and so on
    wrath of khan
    voyage home
    undiscovered country
    first contact
    nemesis (yes MY#5)
    generations
    the search for spock
    final frontier
    insurrection
    t m p
    Last edited by steve2275; 08-08-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    One of the main problems with both Final Frontier and Inssurection-as well as TMP to an extent-is that they were largely just recycled plots from the TV shows.

"Final Frontier" is pretty much "The Way to Eden" with a cult taking over the Enterprise and bringing it to a mythical planet. Insurrection isn't all that different from the episode where Worf's human foster brother tried to move natives onto the holodeck in a sense (This was even one of the villain's plans in the film).

TMP is pretty similar to the Changing but on a much larger scale.

The other films for the most part at least had some kind of interesting story hook/concept or something big happen in them, like a character/ship death or a major shakeup in the mythos (Star Trek VI in particular partially explaining why the Klingons and the Federation are allies by TNG for example).
    That is an excellent point, one I never considered. For me, the biggest problems with Final Frontier and Insurrection were the shoddy special effects- and those were the movies that weren't done by ILM.

For me, my ranking would be this:

The Wrath of Kahn
    First Contact
    The Search for Spock
    The Motion Picture
    Generations
    The Undiscovered Country
    Beyond
    The Voyage Home
    Star Trek (Abrams)
    Into Darkness
    Insurrection
    The Final Frontier
    Nemesis

For me, Nemesis will always be the worst, because it contradicts or outright ignores things set up in Trek lore. The Schimitar was the ultimate Mary Sue- primary and secondary shields? A perfect cloak? built by a race of slaves on a moon paroled by Romulan troops and probably Tal Shiar agents? It may have had some of the best effects ever seen in a Trek movie (the space battles were beautiful, and stands up to anything that Abrams has done), but just because it looks good doesn't mean it IS good.

Amazing Member

Mainly & long time TOS fan.

The Motion Picture
    Wrath of Khan
    Search for Spock
    Voyage Home
    Star Trek(2009)
    First Contact
    Undiscovered Country
    Beyond
    Generations
    Nemesis
    Final Frontier
    Into Darkness
    Insurrection

I liked the Enterprise as a "character" as much as the principals which the ToS also showcased with its own fanfare music. TMP was the only film to showcase it as such with its iconic refit scenes (spectacular model lighting by Trumbell and crew) along with its own great symphony like work by Goldsmith (also check out the great original if unused tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdf74Um8JoE ) , and the only hard sci-fi like trek film.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    13. Star Trek Insurrection: I was most disappointed with Generations, but at least that one had a few moments. There was nothing I enjoyed with Insurrection. Ship Fights, Plots, Character Interaction. Nothing I liked. I remember taking three days to complete watching this movie because I found it so boring.
    Exactly, I hadn't watched it since the cinema showing. I was so bored I might have even fallen asleep. Maybe someday I'll try to see it again to see if it's somehow worthy of moving from the bottom of my list.
    Last edited by krylite; 08-11-2019 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    For me, Nemesis will always be the worst, because it contradicts or outright ignores things set up in Trek lore.
    Like what? Only thing that comes to mind are the Remans and they were put in ENT, giving them better integration. Only things that honestly come to mind for me are Data's emotion chip (which was put in a deleted scene), the fact that Shinzon was cloned at a time when the Romulans were in isolation (but, to be fair, it's not the first time they've been shown to be doing stuff during the isolation, like Nerandera III), and Worf being back on the Enterprise with no explanation (although the time gap between DS9 and this movie would allow him to have transferred, so it's not impossible).

The Schimitar was the ultimate Mary Sue- primary and secondary shields?
    Can't say I had a problem with that aspect.

A perfect cloak?
    Not the first time we've seen advanced tech like this; the sixth movie had a climax with a ship that could fire while cloaked. Other movies and episodes have had invincible ships like that that the heroes find a way to exploit.

built by a race of slaves on a moon paroled by Romulan troops and probably Tal Shiar agents?
    Yeah, that was a little dodgy, even if Shinzon and the Remans did serve in the military and had backing from traitorous Romulans in the government. I think the novelization had the backstory that it actually was a Romulan-built ship that Shinzon and his followers hijacked when they took over rather then being something they built in secret, which would've been more plausible, IMHO.

It may have had some of the best effects ever seen in a Trek movie (the space battles were beautiful, and stands up to anything that Abrams has done), but just because it looks good doesn't mean it IS good.
    I think I liked the first battle in Beyond better, but that's me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)